Many Thanks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Many Thanks

Post by dlovett »

To Dee and Stu for organising it.

Good to catch up with a few of you in the Star on Friday.

I had to bail as I just couldn't breath properly on the hills as my nose was so blocked I just wasn't enjoying it. By the end of Buglyn I decide to go home whist I was still dry and warm. I picked up the trail North round Buglyn to Dylife and then the road home. Drove back through solid rain all the way south.

It's sod's law, that I'd put myself into a voluntary kind of quarantine and avoided people apart from those at work and this bug/cold hit me a week before hand. I've been healthy all summer :-(

Still being positive, the magic footware kept my feet nice and dry, and all the new bike changes worked very well. At least I now have the perfect setup for the next event I enter.

Congrats to all you finishers and better like next time to anybody that didn't make it.

Oh and Tom, who stopped to chat by the Buglyn bridge, I hope you made it round ok.

d
Jurassic pusher

Re: Many Thanks

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Thanks Dee and Stu for a great event as usual.
I am afraid to say that I failed to "Resist the urge to scratch" I am begining to think the BB200 is getting too hard for me!!
I did have a very nice ride though and the sun shone for a lot of it, who would have thought?
A great meal at the Star after, the Landlord and Landlady were extremely welcoming and friendly.
All in all a great weekend.
The ride of shame back to Llanbrymair flew by chatting to Simon. :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

Very many thanks from these quarters too :-bd
Putting these things together is often harder than it seems, and I doff my hat to Stu for another varied yet challenging route that gives you the opportunity to appreciate the area in a way you might not have chosen yourself. Possibly the easiest looking route on paper, but it’s difficulties were cunningly concealed and an easy finish was anything but.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

A fab weekend in Wales. I had a cracking ride in some wonderful scenery. I didn't finish the full 200 this year, but I had the most sociable ride I think I have ever had at a BB event. I had a great chat with Shafiq, a very amusing walk through bog and carry across streams with Al, and a very agreeable ride home from Furnace via Mach with Rob, who had decided to scratch (despite the slogan of this year's T shirt) pretty much at the same time as me. That's quite a long scratch ride too!

52 miles and almost 10 hours out on my bike. I have no complaints! I said to myself prior to the event that as I have not finished for the last 2 years, I had to complete this one so I could put it to bed and not do it again. I have realised that the full 200 against the clock is something I don't desire enough anymore. I am not sure what happened to the Simon who finshed 4 years in a row, including the mythical 2014 event, but I shall continue to ride and enjoy my bikes and bikepack and bivvi. I just don't fancy the challenge of beating the clock anymore. Four finishes out of seven starts will do for me.

Above all, thank you Stuart and Dee for organising these wonderful events. They are ace and a real highlight of my riding year.

See you again!

Si

:-bd
Last edited by darbeze on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

From the Towers, a thank you to everyone who came and rode (pushed / carried / walked). Some truly outstanding performances across the field - some may have being more that 12 hours apart but the drive and determination was the same.

Thanks to John for his photographic services and general assistance. No real thanks to the community centre committee for forcing me to swear at them on Sat mornng.

Anyway, next year is the 10th anniversary of the BB200 so I'll try and think of something fitting and no, it won't be the 2014 route. Right, off to scrub my Goeorge Formby grills :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Holgateeng

Post by Holgateeng »

Many thanks for another great route , stunning scenery and some great trails . Unfortunately my first DNF , Garmin problems in Barmouth followed by a permanent failure of my head torch left me doing the next section of single track on my 1 candle power emergency light . After that decided it was far too scary and headed for Penrhos Bothy where a spend a pleasent night with a group o slightly drunk liverpudliens . Picked up the route the next morning but already missed a section of off road the night before so a DNF for me . Still a cracking ride , I'll be back again next year , still after that ellusive black badge :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Thanks for the great company. Wasn't sure how I was going to feel being there but not able to ride, and I'm still not sure how I feel seeing a time like Lars did and not knowing if I could ever get back to that level... but it may at least spur me on to try. :-bd

Was great seeing people out on the field of battle, especially when they got to Barmouth and realised they had a good chance of getting around.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yeah thanks Dee and Stu, my first ever BB200. Cycled, dragged and paddled through 200km of the finest single track, sheep track, etc.

Thank you to everyone who had words of wisdom for me prior to the event and also the countless people checking in on me en route and in the kebab shop.

Thanks guys, I love this smelly rabble of folk.

P. S., Water filtration questions have vanished from my brain, I think. I didn't run out of water till by the end, but that was down to bad choice but found some in the last hour.

Great time had by me for sure. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:41 pm Yeah thanks Dee and Stu, my first ever BB200. Cycled, dragged and paddled through 200km of the finest single track, sheep track, etc.

Thank you to everyone who had words of wisdom for me prior to the event and also the countless people checking in on me en route and in the kebab shop.

Thanks guys, I love this smelly rabble of folk.

P. S., Water filtration questions have vanished from my brain, I think. I didn't run out of water till by the end, but that was down to bad choice but found some in the last hour.

Great time had by me for sure. :-bd
What he said...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just got home, isn't Wales a long way away, well from here anyway.

Thanks to Stu for a great route, I do like a good river crossing or a bog as I don't have any local to me to indulge my inner masochist :lol: I wonder if I should make one of those stiles that looks like 2 step ladders back to back so I can practice getting my bike over one? If I set my alarm for 3am when there's heavy overnight rain forecast it will be just like the real thing :grin:

Thanks to Dee for the Welsh pronunciation lesson, I can finally say Llanbrynmair. I'd always wondered why when I speak to locals on the ride and they ask where I've ridden from that I get a blank look, that would have been my pronunciation :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:23 am Thanks to John for his photographic services
No worries, it was a pleasure and handy to rescue Sam when his legs failed him.

In a perverse way I really enjoyed it, watching as an outsider in the middle of it all

Here's the photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHET7VN

Same again next year :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:16 pm Thanks to Dee for the Welsh pronunciation lesson, I can finally say Llanbrynmair. I'd always wondered why when I speak to locals on the ride and they ask where I've ridden from that I get a blank look, that would have been my pronunciation :lol:
To be honest, I can pronounce it just fine and I get the same looks.

Most people just don't have a clue where it is. Same for Staylittle and Pennant.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Big thanks to Stu & Dee as always! :-bd

Quite a chilled ride for me & was a pleasure to ride with Shaf & Mark from CyB onwards, enjoyed the break in Mach with Tom too. Thanks chaps! :cool:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

Wotsits wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:04 am Big thanks to Stu & Dee as always! :-bd

Quite a chilled ride for me & was a pleasure to ride with Shaf & Mark from CyB onwards, enjoyed the break in Mach with Tom too. Thanks chaps! :cool:
Was just about to PM ya Jason (finally all that name revision paid off)... Really appreciate how you slowed your pace to stick with us and encourage us to the end within the appropriate time window...

So enjoyable and appreciated in fact that I'm already considering next years entry... :-bd
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:39 am So enjoyable and appreciated in fact that I'm already considering next years entry... :-bd
No worries Shaf, was great to share the experience with others :-bd

It's such a great event, 10th anniverasry edition next year too! :ugeek:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

Wotsits wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:52 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:39 am So enjoyable and appreciated in fact that I'm already considering next years entry... :-bd

It's such a great event, 10th anniverasry edition next year too! :ugeek:
You're not selling it well... who knows what torturous HABs and tracks/climbs he'll want to include for that :o