Rigid carbon forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ozboz

Rigid carbon forks

Post by ozboz »

Hiya, Im after some carbon forks, ive checked out the exotic ones but they are all out of stock that would fit my bike, which other ones are worth a look at , at reasonable price ?
Cheers
trob6

Re: Rigid carbon forks

Post by trob6 »

I have just got some Prong forks after many recommendations from this site, I think they are very well priced for the quality and ride you get.
What's the worst than can happen?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Check out ebay.com. There are any number of carbon forks on sale for decent prices. I've been running some on my Titanium bikepacking bike for the past 3 years or so.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Need a bit more info. What steerer do you need, tapered or straight, carbon or alu? Axle type, 9mm qr, 12, 15 or 20mm through axle? Axle to crown length? Fixings for bottle or cargo cages? Disc brake mount, flat mount or ISO? Bike type, mtb, gravel,CX, or road? Boost or standard width? Sure that about covers it.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I got some recently from an Italian online shop: ridewill.it
They are a brand called Era Ora. First impressions are good. I felt a little more comfortable getting these forks(£100 ish) rather than some direct from China ones on eBay. I figure (rightly/wrongly??) that they may be more reliable bought from an actual shop in the EU.
I had some fairly bizarre spec needs. Tapered steerer, 9x100mm qr, 29+ and these guys had the choices available.
They’ve not been fitted long or ridden much so don’t take this as long term review but quality is apparently good.... fingers crossed I won’t loose my face due to a sudden failure!
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Defo more info needed on what type of fork...but Kinesis have launched a new fork called the Range. Looks Good....

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... ture/RANGE
freddy_tanner

Post by freddy_tanner »

I'm on a kenisis maxlight.

Was a bit worried it might be a bit harsh, what with it being marketed as a race-y fork. Shouldn't have worried, its really quite comfy.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Spend a bit more and get Lauf forks, lightweight, maintenance free and much more comfortable than any rigid carbon fork that I've ever ridden on and owned.
Unless your young and can absorb the bumps that is, but now I'm too old for off road rigid carbon forks
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's not an age thing.
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

Thanks for replies fellas, it’s given me a few options to look at , carbon cycles are not very good t replying up to now ,
Cheers !
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I got some Exotic in the end , I had to register to their forum to get through to them , but any way they should be here by weekend if all goes well
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Now ozboz is sorted can I try please?

Carbon UD Matt 29er take a 3 inch tyre.
15x100mm axle, disc mount, tapered Aluminium steerer
and a hole at the crown for mounting things.

Can find everything but the tapered Al tube or tyre size although would accept a generous 2.4 tyre size.
These are just to get a new build commissioned and sorted pending a later upgrade and curiosity about
'cheap' forks vs say Whiskey or Enve. Had a Firestarter on my Fargo and would rather take the weight and
go Reba than spend £600 for a carbon.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mariner wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:39 pm Carbon UD Matt 29er take a 3 inch tyre.
Can I ask why the aluminum steerer? My Travers Prongs have a carbon steerer which is moulded integral with the fork. Looking at how this is done and with my basic knowledge of making things in composite I would think it's easier to make a strong fork this way than try and bond an aluminum steerer to a carbon fork.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Mariner wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:39 pm Now ozboz is sorted can I try please?

Carbon UD Matt 29er take a 3 inch tyre.

Can find everything but the tapered Al tube or tyre size although would accept a generous 2.4 tyre size.
These are just to get a new build commissioned and sorted pending a later upgrade and curiosity about
'cheap' forks vs say Whiskey or Enve. Had a Firestarter on my Fargo and would rather take the weight and
go Reba than spend £600 for a carbon.
Try Era Ora forks at Ridewill.it
Pretty sure they will have a cheap fork to match your requirements sans alu steerer. Mine are 9mm qr version for 3.0 29er tyre.
They are new so can’t give a comprehensive view but all looks ok thus far.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ive used my Travers Prong for a few years now and like it a lot :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Can I ask why the aluminum steerer?
Reason for Ali steerer on carbon is because the recommendation not to have more than a stem width +/- a nats of carbon tube sticking out the top of the head tube. And yes I know nobody else actually believes this.
Plenty of straight Ali steerers on carbon listed on ebay and Aliexpress but for tapered it all appears to be carbon so maybe a technical reason for this.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ah, I don't remember seeing any info when I bought my Prong about the max length above the top bearing. I think I have 30mm or 35mm of spacers on mine.

You could use a straight steerer one and just put an adapter on the fork for use in a tapered headset? I think this adapter just goes on the steerer and makes it the same size as a tapered one would be at the bottom bearing location. It says for a hope headset but as far as I can tell it would work with any headset as it just increased the diameter of the steerer.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hop ... gPEALw_wcB
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Sean

That was in the back of mind to mod a straight steerer but worth looking around first.
Frame not due until late November so plenty of time.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mariner wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:05 pm
Can I ask why the aluminum steerer?
Reason for Ali steerer on carbon is because the recommendation not to have more than a stem width +/- a nats of carbon tube sticking out the top of the head tube. And yes I know nobody else actually believes this.
Plenty of straight Ali steerers on carbon listed on ebay and Aliexpress but for tapered it all appears to be carbon so maybe a technical reason for this.
Where did you see this recommendation?
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

On carbon steerers 40mm of spacers between stem and headset is the maximum I have always worked to (and 5mm of steerer above the stem). No idea where it came from. Enve, Fairlight and Kinesis all state thats the maximum they recommend and will void the fork warranty if its exceeded. Whether you choose to exceed that is down to personal choice. I have on one bike.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's quite a different recommendation from the one that Mariner outlined.