Kit List

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Kit List

Post by RIP »

Right then, I know it's not Friday yet but it's yonks since anyone's aired a full kit list (well ok, I blathered on about my Saga one last week I admit).

On my next BaM I'm going to take the exact kit listed below and see how I get on. I'm a little apprehensive about some of it and could do with some reassurance that other BBers are already toting similar stuff.

Hairbrush, comb and razor are pretty irrelevant in my case; the 'pugaree' I'll need to think about (some sort of tarp is it?); obviously a pin for my scarf and spare white collars are essential for a dapper chap like me; bathing drawers and loofah ditto; visiting cards - yeah why not. 'Tow line' - handy for that BB200 Bugeilyn bog. Nice to see our meths fixation is age-old. The item I'm really most concerned about is 'sperm oil', especially with my advancing years.

ImageReg The Victorian Bikepacker
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Re: Kit List

Post by ScotRoutes »

I reckon the only essential thing is the "small silk flag". A white one, to be waved sometime in the early hours when knee-deep in Welsh mud and cowshit.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: . Yes I'd had that thought too. My apologies for continuing to fret about this 'sperm oil' - what I'm now quite worried about is the method of obtaining the stuff. I can see that I might need a bit of, mmm, assistance.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'd no idea what a "pugaree" is/was until I looked it up, and no, it's not a tarp but I think it would suit you Reg :wink:

I'm surprised not to see laudenum on that list. Love the line about being accosted by brigands :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

... inform them that you are British and display your Union flag
Not so long ago (back in the seventies) when I did a bit of hitch-hiking across Europe and Yugoslavia and into the Middle-East I stitched (on advice) a Union flag onto to my (external metal-framed!) rucksack as an aid to getting lifts - and it worked! Imagine that today :???:

p.s. Reg - it would appear a puggaree is a head scarf
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes that revolver bit is hilarious! "stitched-on union flag" - I did exactly the same thing Peter when I "Inter-Railed" round Denmark/Finland/Sweden/Norway millenia ago. I also had one of those rucsacs :smile: . We must have been the last throwbacks to the Victorians: "stand aside you brigand, can't you see I'm British?!".
Last edited by RIP on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:03 am My apologies for continuing to fret about this 'sperm oil' - what I'm now quite worried about is the method of obtaining the stuff. I can see that I might need a bit of, mmm, assistance.
Would probably make a very good chain lubricant for use in very cold climes apparently.

Anyway Reg, get a grip man. Take yourself in hand, no need to fret.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: :lol: :lol: <wipes eyes>

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:27 am "stitched-on union flag"
Some years back I was on a construction site and one of the lads working the rock drilling machine had a Scottish flag sewn on the sleeve of his Helly Hansen base layer. I inquired why he had said flag sewn on his sleeve to which he rather sharply replied "because I'm f'ing Scottish"

Oh, I said, I just wondered if you'd represented Scotland in a sporting event and the base layer was team kit? His apologetic reply was simply "no, I just had a hole in ma sleeve" :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:55 am
RIP wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:27 am "stitched-on union flag"
Some years back I was on a construction site and one of the lads working the rock drilling machine had a Scottish flag sewn on the sleeve of his Helly Hansen base layer. I inquired why he had said flag sewn on his sleeve to which he rather sharply replied "because I'm f'ing Scottish"

Oh, I said, I just wondered if you'd represented Scotland in a sporting event and the base layer was team kit? His apologetic reply was simply "no, I just had a hole in ma sleeve" :lol:
My only one question is please Sean... did he say "Scottish" or "Scaawtish"... Cos if the former then I hope you told him he's an "impaawster"...

:lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:14 pm
My only one question is please Sean... did he say "Scottish" or "Scaawtish"... Cos if the former then I hope you told him he's an "impaawster"...

:lol:
I've translated his responses into English to make it easier to read :grin: What with his accent and the noise of the drilling machine it's a wonder I could understand any of what he was saying or indeed him understand what I was saying.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Some of the stuff on that list is hilarious. #doyouevenloofahbro

Other things I haven't a clue what they are, what they'd be used for or if you can even still buy it :???:

I'm surprised that hasn't been more comment made of a "supply of tea" being on the list of luxuries, rather than necessaties :shock:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I like the fact that all the spare clothing is on the 'Luxuries' list but pipe and tobacco and saddle and shoe lubricant are in the 'Necessities' list :???:

Perhaps that's the mistake I'm making, my shoes are under-lubricated :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"tea" - definitely a necessity as you say Ian. In fact here's a recent photo of Stu setting off for a couple of days riding with his initial tea supply out the back. Not sure where he'd pick the 2nd day's supply up from.

Last edited by RIP on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlovett

Post by dlovett »

A revolver would be a great thing to bring this weekend. After the bog fest it will be, there will be a queue for people wanting to borrow it to shoot Stu!
Al

Post by Al »

Sperm oil was whale oil - for your lamp.
Attachments
7A575362-2927-497A-9F15-F2309AB55F62.jpeg
(39.1 KiB) Downloaded 1771 times
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Al wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm Sperm oil was whale oil - for your lamp.
Oh! No wonder my lamp kept going out :shock:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Appropriately both belt and braces make the list
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Good luck keeping your permanganate of potash dry for long.
Ian

Post by Ian »

boxelder wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 pm Good luck keeping your permanganate of potash dry for long.
This was one of the things that I didn't know what it was, so I looked up. Used for cleaning wounds, so effectively superseded by alcohol wipes. In fact, pretty much everything on the list has a modern day equivalent of some sort.

Apart from belt and braces - but you can never be too careful, eh?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Apart from belt and braces - but you can never be too careful, eh?
I find a well developed paunch outperforms both.