Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alexinthepeaks

Re: Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Mint - my conscience told me this is probably the case!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:25 am Newby Question - is the dropping of a "Cache" frowned upon? I see there is little resupply from Barmouth onwards and i can happen to cross the route on my travel down on Friday night.
I was thinking of stashing a bottle of water and some food which might perk me up at 3am, but didnt want to do something like that if its not in the spirit? I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts...
If you do tell us all where it is so you stay legal. However don't expect the fast guys to have left any of it undrunk or uneaten for you!

OR if you are going to, delete all these messages and hope everybody forgets you mentioned it!!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:25 am Newby Question - is the dropping of a "Cache" frowned upon? I see there is little resupply from Barmouth onwards and i can happen to cross the route on my travel down on Friday night.
I was thinking of stashing a bottle of water and some food which might perk me up at 3am, but didnt want to do something like that if its not in the spirit? I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts...
could you simply resupply at Barmouth with sufficient food /water to get you to the end?

coop /spar close at 23:00

John, you taking tea and cake orders? You'd make good money. :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've copied this from the BB200 Route on the way thread:
Asposium wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:03 pm
Break the ride into manageable chunks
I set my Garmin (Edge 1030) to auto lap for each 10km, the a data screen shows these lap times
Helps break the ride into 10km sections.

Plan where you might stop for resupply, helps break up the ride again.

Think about what helps keep you going.
I will take my Apple AirPods, then, if I'm not riding with someone I can listen to music; helps at 2am in the morning!
I like to have nice snacks to eat, none of this roadie energy gels rubbish; taking cakes, cheese tea cakes, proper sausages in rolls, fresh orange juice. Stuff i know helps me at 3am in the morning.
I don't drink caffine tea, so am taking proplus, take some at 10pm (usual bedtime), then again at 2am is. :shock: :shock:
I like to see where I'm going, especially when tired, so my headtorch is like a portable sun. Does mean having to carry a spare battery. But helps me to keep going.
I don't like wet hands (go figure) so will take a spare pair of gloves

Chances are you'll be riding with someone at some point.
Sometimes it's nice to have a chat.

Make sure your bike is sorted; brake pads checked and changed if needed.
Chain and gears checked
Extra sealant added to tyres
Gear planned and sorted
Route checked and loaded onto GPS. Check displays correctly
Download ViewRanger to phone and load route there. (handy backup)
Take spare cash
Take spare clothes to keep dry

Expect and plan for it to be wet and cold
if the event is neither then bonus
if both at least you're ready
I'd add:

take a debit card - if you do need to bail then getting back to Llanbrynmair is unlikely to be cheap! Put it and cash in a ziplock bag, Spar & Co-op will have contactless payment - no need to even take it out of the bag :wink:

Have a list of towns/villages/notable points along with distances printed out and handy. On your GPS have a data screen with average moving speed and overall average speed as two of the data fields. Combined with the list you can work out when you will get to each point.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just realised after a post on here that I'm running a week behind (apparebtly the BB200 is actually this weekend which I knew a few weeks ago but then somehow it got mingled in the old brain)... So some frantic last minutes on Stan (sealant +/- a tyre and pads and possibly an extra bottle mount)...

For the mo... The Schwalbe Rocket Ron or the Maxxis Minion DHF, for the rear end, that is the question*

*Wont bother giving you the widths cos they'll both measure up to around 2.4 (actual quoted is 2.8 and 2.5 respectively)...

:-bd

Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

I've just swapped out my 2.5 DHF for a WTB ranger 2.8. looks similar tread pattern to the Rocket Ron.

On another note...anyone know if there are showers we can use at the finish or should i expect no luxury like that whatsoever, and resort to babywipe bath / dip in the nearest river.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm On another note...anyone know if there are showers we can use at the finish or should i expect no luxury like that whatsoever, and resort to babywipe bath / dip in the nearest river.
Never seen any, it's a primary school/community centre.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm
On another note...anyone know if there are showers we can use at the finish or should i expect no luxury like that whatsoever, and resort to babywipe bath / dip in the nearest river.
I’ll have a pump garden sprayer for washing the bike

Full with and have a shower?

:grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Asposium

Post by Asposium »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:56 pm Moist
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2656311
It’s a boner event
In Wales
In October

It’s not supposed to be dry

Stu likely ordered the weather special for the weekend.
Along with the rain of the last few weeks to pre-saturate the ground.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Beyond moist. The Norgies are saying 65 mm of rain for Dolgellau between now and the start, and 31 mm of rain during the event. :|
Even by Welsh standards, that’s a lot. But it’s the same for everyone, so just put head down and get on with it :-bd

Edit: or we set a new world record for the number of mountain bikers that can fit into a Peugeot camper van.
Last edited by Ian on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm sure it'll be glorious... in my car as I wave to you as you pass. :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ian wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 pm Beyond moist. The Norgies are saying 65 mm of rain for Dolgellau between now and the start, and 31 mm of rain during the event.
Isn't that less than half what we had last year :wink: I'd better pack the sun cream, will factor 30 do or will I need the 50 :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Oh... No...

John tried to tell me about the weather before... Then I see this. Wonder if I can UN see it....
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Ian wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 pm
Beyond moist. The Norgies are saying 65 mm of rain for Dolgellau between now and the start, and 31 mm of rain during the event. :|
Even by Welsh standards, that’s a lot. But it’s the same for everyone, so just put head down and get on with it :-bd

Edit: or we set a new world record for the number of mountain bikers that can fit into a Peugeot camper van.
Norgies....sorry what? 🤔
burty

Post by burty »

john , you should be banned of the forum 2 weeks before any event ,
every single time you post up the poor show weather instead of letting it play out ,
we all like surprises every now and again :-bd
love you john sweetie :o
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

burty wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm john , you should be banned of the forum 2 weeks before any event ,
hear, hear
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Apart from the pack rafting weekend, nice one John! :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

John lives a certain Norwegian website for weather. TBH they tend to be quite accurate unfortunately.
Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:39 pm

Norgies....sorry what? 🤔
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:39 pm Norgies....sorry what? 🤔
If I recall correctly, there's a Norwegian forecaster that seems to come up with the most reliable outlook for the BB neck of the woods.
redefined_cycles

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:39 pm

Norgies....sorry what? 🤔
Its something in Welsh.. Probably the name for 'Jon Snow'... They're all Welsh on here... Except for Stu :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The great thing about a route of 200km is you won't be in the same weather all the way round, not everywhere will get 31mm.... some parts will get more :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm I've just swapped out my 2.5 DHF for a WTB ranger 2.8. looks similar tread pattern to the Rocket Ron.

But isn't the Rocket Rob tread pattern (more) susceptible to become clagged up with mud...

Might go for that then...
redefined_cycles

sean_iow wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm The great thing about a route of 200km is you won't be in the same weather all the way round, not everywhere will get 31mm.... some parts will get more :lol:
I love how everyone on here just loves the challenge of atrocious weather so much... :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

dlovett wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:53 pm . TBH they tend to be quite accurate unfortunately.

Poop. Saves me having to carry the jacket and pants then :lol: