Pogies?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulE

Pogies?

Post by PaulE »

Hi, looking for a bit of advice on keeping my hands warm. Usually I just ride in lobster type mits in winter,but I'm doing Strathpuffer solo so figured I'd need more warmth.

I've been looking at a pair of pogies for it - and from previous threads I think these got good feedback: https://www.hotpog.co.uk/products/classic-pogies

Also found some cheap neoprene ones on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIYO-Wind-Ra ... 0935.m2460

My first thought was the alpkit ones, but they seem to get pretty mixed/poor reviews for the price.

Anyone who uses these things able to help please?
ScotRoutes

Re: Pogies?

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've only used the basic Hotpogs. They are wonderful things in the right conditions and make a massive difference to hand comfort / warmth.

They could do with some sort of stiffener and maybe a "gasket" of some sort to reduce the size of the main opening. I've considered modifying them, They are also a little the worse for wear so I may be looking to replace them. I am therefore interested in how are getting on with other types too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got Hotpogs, Alpkit and some neoprene Barmit ones. If it's properly cold then I use the Hotpogs, if it's just a bit cold, I then use the Alpkit ones as they're less bulky and I find I can ride with my hands resting on them should I need to cool things down.

I think the Hotpogs are very hard to beat in terms of cost / how well they work / quality.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I was one of those who gave a poor review of the Alpkit pogies but that was for the old version not the current one so my criticisms of the design no longer apply. In a nutshell they weren't warm enough for winter conditions in Lapland a couple of years ago. At the time they were £60 whereas the Revelate Williwaws were £90 or so, the price differential is now much less (just a fiver). I've since passed on the Alpkits and bought a pair of the Revelates.

I had contacted Hotpog about a suitable set but for whatever reason I never received a response so with limited time I went for the Alpkit ones.

The Alpkit pogies are reasonably stiff but not as stiff as the Revelates. For most of the time in the UK the Revelates would be way too warm - Revelate give a temp range of -4C to -18C for the Williwaws - I had them in Rovaniemi this year and they were too warm for the conditions as the temperatures had risen to around zero for the race and the Alpkit ones would have been ideal :roll: The Revelates have a venting zip on the front plus a drawcord at the wrist so you can adjust things on the go. I'd say the Alpkit are fine for UK conditions, maybe down to -5/6C, but beyond that they struggle.

Before splashing out on a set of pogies consider sorting out the insulation on your body and arms since if they get cold then you'll never have warm hands. I'll wear a set of arm warmers over my long sleeved thermal top to help keep my arms warm - On-One do a set for £5 or so, I think I paid £3 in one of their "sales". Use a buff over your mouth and nose to create a warm environment to act as a heat exchange between warm air leaving your lungs and cooler air entering. Also "winterise" your bike: decent foam grips rather than lock-ons; insulating tape around brake levers (I've got some stretchy rubber brake lever covers -Fingies or something like that); do your best with gear shifters. There's no point in holding on to a heat sink plus if you are using pogies then you'll likely only be wearing thin gloves or possibly no gloves.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I remember wondering last year whether carbon bars would be better than metal from a warmth/cold sink pov.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:49 am I remember wondering last year whether carbon bars would be better than metal from a warmth/cold sink pov.

Seems the answer is ....

it depends!

From this https://www.christinedemerchant.com/car ... ivity.html it appears that it varies between along and across the material and if it's mixed with epoxy. But it looks like it should be a lot less, maybe 2% of that of aluminium.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:49 am I remember wondering last year whether carbon bars would be better than metal from a warmth/cold sink pov.
Most definitely yes... carbon in thr freezing cold doesn't freeze up the hands when you touch it... so much so that I'd considered swapping out the alu bar ends on my Stan for some carbon ones.... Colin, if you're thinking pf swapping over to carb in the bars/levers front: do it as I doubt you'll regret at all :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I have hotpogs and also had some of the prototype Alpkit ones. They were both fine although the newer Alpkit ones have improved. Hotdogs will also make custom ones for you, they did some Jones specific ones for me.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 am
Most definitely yes... carbon in thr freezing cold doesn't freeze up the hands when you touch it... so much so that I'd considered swapping out the alu bar ends on my Stan for some carbon ones.... Colin, if you're thinking pf swapping over to carb in the bars/levers front: do it as I doubt you'll regret at all :-bd
My wallet might though!

https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-h-bar-loop-carbon/
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 am
My wallet might though!

https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-h-bar-loop-carbon/
Ah yeah... if its Jones then It might (most certainly) indeed :sad: ...

I think I've still got some offcuts of carbon I've cut previously (steerer tubes) so if you wanna experiment (with the freezer and feeling to the touch) then am happy to send you forth some carbon...

Or, just throw your bearbones pole (everyone has a carbon BB pole on here right :geek: ... I don't even have a tent but got a pole :-bd )...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have carbon flat/risers so I'll likely fit them to the new fatbike and then see whether or not I fancy Jones bars again.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Thanks folks - looks like I'll be getting a set for Christmas then! Now to decide on colour...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Anyone aware of a set of pogies that are waterproof but un-insulated and have bar end plugs? My 45nrth ones are waterproof but are far too warm for the UK.....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Wolftooth Pogies don't look to be as warm as the Revelates or 45NTHs

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pro ... rack-pogie
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone aware of a set of pogies that are waterproof
My Alpkit ones are Xpac, so the material's certainly waterproof.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Some of the Hotpogs are waterproof too. They just don't meet Phils other criterion regarding bar plugs.

I've thought about hacking mine to fit some sort of retainer at the bar end. They've been fitted to Jones Loops and work pretty well but can, eventually, change position a little, resulting in less coverage.
composite

Post by composite »

My review of the Explorer hot pog: https://www.composite-projects.co.uk/20 ... r-hot-pog/
It's from 2014 though so I guess they have probably moved on a bit since then.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I dropped Hotpog an email last night to ask about custom pogies. I fancy the gaiter idea but not the faux fur lining. They say they can do that for me (so, the Arctic with the standard lining). I might buy those and try hacking my old ones to see what I come up with.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I got some dead cheap no-name pogies from a motorbike shop. Some nylon outside, layer of foam and a thin fleece lining. One strap to go around the brake and to seal it off a bit.

The cheap fleece attaches really well to velcro - so I only have a self adhesive velcro patch on the bar's ends with which I can lock the pogies in place.
works really, really well and superbly balmy. Yet I only need/use them when well below freezing.

Google for handlebar muffs motorbike or hand warmers motorbike rather than pogies and find a world full of choices for less than 20 quid.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:01 am I got some dead cheap no-name pogies from a motorbike shop. Some nylon outside, layer of foam and a thin fleece lining. One strap to go around the brake and to seal it off a bit.

The cheap fleece attaches really well to velcro - so I only have a self adhesive velcro patch on the bar's ends with which I can lock the pogies in place.
works really, really well and superbly balmy. Yet I only need/use them when well below freezing.

Google for handlebar muffs motorbike or hand warmers motorbike rather than pogies and find a world full of choices for less than 20 quid.
Funnily enough after posting above it occurred to me my ancient oxford handlebar muffs were in need of replacement for this winters motorcycling and also discovered many cheapo pairs that should fit the bill with an additional cable tie to attach them to the bar ends.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

htrider wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:45 pm Funnily enough after posting above it occurred to me my ancient oxford handlebar muffs were in need of replacement for this winters motorcycling and also discovered many cheapo pairs that should fit the bill with an additional cable tie to attach them to the bar ends.
:-bd

Similar situation here. For me it was the postman, sometimes it's a postwomen, as they use an electric moped for delivery and in winter with warmers...