BB200 route on the way.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Re: BB200 route on the way.

Post by Asposium »

stu, you evil ba5tard. :lol: :shock:

anyone who did last year will remember the detour (stu was being nice to us) and the river at the bottom. knee high bog to approach then wadding through. forget trying to keep feet dry.

well, we're doing that section again.
i feel some sweary dave coming on.

Image2019-10-06 by Asposium, on Flickr

Image2019-10-06 (1) by Asposium, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Except the "knee high bog to approach" will be several miles long this time rather than just the 100 yards :lol: (I can laff cos I'm not actually going to have to suffer it).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

paramart wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:08 pm help why can't I download the email, I usually download and save to desktop then overlay, but it wants something to open it and if I save it there's nothing there. no download option available tia
Presumably you mean the GPX file not the email?

Sounds like some program has become associated with that file type. You don't say what OS you are on, can't remember how to check it on Windows but on Mac you right click on a file of that type/extension then choose "Info" and you then have the option to change it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Be fair though, at least he's taking you over the footbridge on the Hengwm, it's the bit between Bugeilyn and there for which water wings should be on the kit list. I first rode it in the drought of 1976 and got through ok, subsequently I've been up to my waist in bog having put my foot in the wrong place and fallen through into the stream. The other side of the stream is a more defined track but I'm assuming that would be a dnf offence.
RIP

Post by RIP »

good point re difference re Hengwm and Hyddgen crossings, not spotted that. Everyone'll be past caring after the preceding bogfest :smile: . Better stop analysing the route in public really or Stu'll rightly tell us off.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The gpx track follows the 'track' on the RH side of the river all the way to the FB - I'm really not nasty enough to put you on the LH side.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Please note, I'll be along on Friday evening, Saturday on the route (shorter version of course) and Sunday finishing off the route and at the visitors centre taking pictures as I go.

Please note if you don't want your photos taken please let me know before hand, otherwise you may be in the camera's firing line.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:17 pm The gpx track follows the 'track' on the RH side of the river all the way to the FB - I'm really not nasty enough to put you on the LH side.
:lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:55 pm Please note, I'll be along on Friday evening, Saturday on the route (shorter version of course) and Sunday finishing off the route and at the visitors centre taking pictures as I go.

Please note if you don't want your photos taken please let me know before hand, otherwise you may be in the camera's firing line.
are you taking food orders from the van?
dry socks might also be useful :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Asposium wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:24 pm are you taking food orders from the van?
dry socks might also be useful :-bd
I was thinking more like pack raft ferry crossings what with all this rain at £30 a go cash only
Ian

Post by Ian »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:03 pm Be fair though, at least he's taking you over the footbridge on the Hengwm, it's the bit between Bugeilyn and there for which water wings should be on the kit list. I first rode it in the drought of 1976 and got through ok, subsequently I've been up to my waist in bog having put my foot in the wrong place and fallen through into the stream. The other side of the stream is a more defined track but I'm assuming that would be a dnf offence.
I bet Stu hasn’t been down it since he got sun stroke with Matt a couple of years back :lol:

I was thinking I might have done the route on the Stooshie or my 29er, but looking at what has gone before, and what has yet to come weather-wise I’m almost inclined towards the fat bike, despite the road bits.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I bet Stu hasn’t been down it since he got sun stroke with Matt a couple of years back
Mike and me went down a couple of years ago. It wasn't bad .......... until we decidd to cross the river and see what the track was like on the other side. Suffice to say, we'll not be doing that again :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Ian wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:02 pm
I was thinking I might have done the route on the Stooshie or my 29er, but looking at what has gone before, and what has yet to come weather-wise I’m almost inclined towards the fat bike, despite the road bits.
would a fat bike make those sections rideable?
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Taylor wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:25 pm
Genuine question, whats the deal with Bugeilyn?
It's a bridleway that has a tendency to be a bit wet in places. However on the plus side, you'll be travelling in a generally downhill direction. The scenery is stunning and there is a kind of track albeit one made by sheep.
You make it sound almost appealing.
Nobody listen to him, it'll be sh1te
I still remember the Bearstock midge forecast!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Asposium wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:28 pmwould a fat bike make those sections rideable?
My experience of bogs and fat bikes in Wales is pretty good - once rode Monks Trod with Mike with the objective of not putting a foot down; we didn’t do too bad.

As well as the float, you gain significant traction on everything else that’s likely to be wet but not necessarily boggy. Good example here from the 2017 edition where, to my surprise, having the traction was good for 2nd place: https://www.strava.com/segments/3461240 ... l&gender=M
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Ian wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:59 pm
Asposium wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:28 pmwould a fat bike make those sections rideable?
My experience of bogs and fat bikes in Wales is pretty good - once rode Monks Trod with Mike with the objective of not putting a foot down; we didn’t do too bad.

As well as the float, you gain significant traction on everything else that’s likely to be wet but not necessarily boggy. Good example here from the 2017 edition where, to my surprise, having the traction was good for 2nd place: https://www.strava.com/segments/3461240 ... l&gender=M
Despite the amount of road, I've decided to bring my fatbike. I'm so slow anyway it makes no difference and it's a lot more comfortable on long rides. I did 12 hours on the SDW on my lightweight carbon xc bike yesterday and I felt really beat up by the end.
May satan walk with you
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Each morning is different for me in how I feel about this.

Morning A: yeah it's going to be interesting, but I'll just give it a bloody good go. May even get a couple of good pictures in Welsh wonderland.

Morning B: oh... My... Word. What on earth have I booked myself onto. All those bogs... Sleep monsters coming to get me and push me in one., or several...

Morning C: :shock:

Morning D: :| people have done harder things... Though I haven't and this is going to be the hardest yet. But I feel confident, for 5 minutes. Then back into morning B.

This morning was morning C.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I did 3/4 of one with a broken rib and still got around in sub 24h. You'll be fine.

That said, I did four days of Torino Nice Rally with three broken ribs... so I might just be a little insane. :shock:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Or you may not like ribs. Gathering all my stuff together over the next day or two so once the bike is ready I'll be happier. Maybe.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Richard G wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:08 am I did 3/4 of one with a broken rib and still got around in sub 24h. You'll be fine.

That said, I did four days of Torino Nice Rally with three broken ribs... so I might just be a little insane. :shock:
You also tried to walk your bike out of a trail with a broken hip socket so not sure we can use you as a gauge for 'normal people' :lol:

Escape Goat, you''ll be fine. The week before any event is the worst. It's too late to do anything about preparation but you've got to wait until the start which gives time for the doubt to set in. I'm sure you'll make it, we are all capable of much more than we realise but don't get the opportunity to find out. Events like this give us the chance to find out we can do far more than we think :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks for the vote of confidence. People keep asking why have I signed up, I don't have the answer. I just knew I wanted too.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

At least is looking dry for the weekend......not!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 pm Thanks for the vote of confidence. People keep asking why have I signed up, I don't have the answer. I just knew I wanted too.
If you're anything like me it because it sounded like a crazy idea. A challenge that you believed was possible but not sure if you could do it and the only way of finding out is doing. The real problem you've got now is that once you start, you *may* constantly try and find your breaking point, your limit. If you complete you will ask "what next?", if not you'll find the reasons why you didn't finish and vow to come back better and stronger next time.

Escape Goat the real problems have only just started, welcome to the dark side!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I also think that I won't be using Komoot to import the route to my shiny GPS doofer. I'll use Wahoo to transfer direct....

ImageScreen Shot 2019-10-07 at 12.47.01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr