BB200 route on the way.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

BB200 route on the way.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As promised, this years route has left the building and in accordance with tradiotion, if yours doesn't arrive within the next couple of hours, consider the following:

It's gone to whatever email address was attached to the invoice you received off paypal when you entered. Maybe it's not your usual address?

Is it in your spam folder?

Could it be in the spam folder of another email account?

Did someone else enter on your behalf? They've probably got it.

Still nothing? Email me, don't message me as I want to reply directly to the email.

Ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
darbeze

Re: BB200 route on the way.

Post by darbeze »

Thanks Stuart,

Route received. You have brightened my morning (genuinely)!

Si

:shock: :-bd
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Looking at it now. Food & drink opportunities seem a bit limited after Barmouth!
May satan walk with you
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Food & drink opportunities seem a bit limited after Barmouth!
It'll probably be getting pretty late in the day by that point anyway :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm liking the look of it a lot
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

The bastard love child of 2014.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Route recieved. So, erm, yay :roll:

Not sure how to assess river crossings and bogs nd such but notice theres a bridge over the far west of the route... historically, has this bridge ever been close to being flooded (I assume not but being Wales I suppose you never know)... Its a rather long beidge and swim if it is knackered :smile:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:49 am Route recieved. So, erm, yay :roll:

Not sure how to assess river crossings and bogs nd such but notice theres a bridge over the far west of the route... historically, has this bridge ever been close to being flooded (I assume not but being Wales I suppose you never know)... Its a rather long beidge and swim if it is knackered :smile:
If you mean Barmouth bridge, it will be fine.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Duncan...

I might be looking too deep (as I have done in the past with the Peaks200) but for example in above... where the long green dashed line is slightly north (I'm gonna say maybe a 100m or a few) of the line Stu has drawn*... Would you lot follow the green dashed line if there was actually a track on the ground - which there probably won't be I imagine - or would you stick exactly o the line Stu has drawn.

*I did read the email and info relaring to this but just wanted to clarify as I understand the walking and bog trotting/HABs is an integral part of the type3 experience :o
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Stu’s GPX is a guide. Sometimes is perfectly aligned with where you are going, sometimes it’s to point you in the right direction and sometimes it’s just there to taunt you!

If he used a different map to plot it to yours sometimes they can wildly disagree. Just follow what is actually on the ground in front of you as near to the line as you can safely go.

On your example I would follow the green track if it exists on the ground.
Last edited by dlovett on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

dlovett wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:52 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:49 am Route recieved. So, erm, yay :roll:

No it won't spring tides forecast ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:22 am

Ah springs, that explains the 0m elevation, will pack my life jacket as the tide is fast!

Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

dlovett wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:22 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:08 am I might be looking too deep (as I have done in the past with the Peaks200) but for example in above... where the long green dashed line is slightly north (I'm gonna say maybe a 100m or a few) of the line Stu has drawn*... Would you lot follow the green dashed line if there was actually a track on the ground - which there probably won't be I imagine - or would you stick exactly o the line Stu has drawn.

*I did read the email and info relaring to this but just wanted to clarify as I understand the walking and bog trotting/HABs is an integral part of the type3 experience :o
Stu’s GPX is a guide. Sometimes is perfectly aligned with where you are going, sometimes it’s to point you in the right direction and sometimes it’s just there to taunt you!

If he used a different map to plot it to yours sometimes they can wildly disagree. Just follow what is actually on the ground in front of you as near to the line as you can safely go.

On your example I would follow the green track if it exists on the ground.
Just a point of information — GPS devices don't like canyons much, like London, or the hilly parts of Wales. You'll probably find that at times even your own GPS thinks you're a couple of hundred metres somewhere else. There will be times when you have to push on half a mile up a vertical slope, or through some bog, just to enable your GPS catch up and tell you that you should've taken the other left ... DAMHIKT :roll:
Last edited by Wilkyboy on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Thanks, Stu — looks like a good'un :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:08 am I might be looking too deep
My advice is:-

Don't over analysis the route, load it in to your gps and then just follow it on the day :-bd

If you are riding on a track/road and the line of the route is off to one side then have a look what's over that way. If the line of the route is through dense forest or in a reservoir then chances are the track you are on is the right way provided it's heading in the same general direction as the route.

Decide if you can carry enough food for the whole route, if not then you'll need to find somewhere to resupply. Be realistic about how fast you will be going. If you plan to finish in 24hrs then it's likely that any shops past the 100km mark will be shut by the time you get there (assuming you start at 09:00 then it will be 21:00 by 100k for a 24hr finish) so either stock up earlier on the route or find a way to carry more from the start.

And my last tip, if it starts to rain then put your waterproof on straight away, don't hold off thinking it might just be a shower... they don't have showers in Wales, just rain ranging from heavy downpour to storm :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf you are indeed thinking too much. Just do what Duncan says.
redefined_cycles

dlovett wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am

Ah springs, that explains the 0m elevation, will pack my life jacket as the tide is fast!

Looks like your waders won't work then... nor will tge 9 sets of waterproof amazon socks and sealspinz :grin:
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:42 am Shaf you are indeed thinking too much. Just do what Duncan says.
I thought as much but didn't wanna be one of them*

*sloppy joe's who thought he knew the map better and miss out any taunting :-bd thanks
redefined_cycles

sean_iow wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:40 am
And my last tip, if it starts to rain then put your waterproof on straight away, don't hold off thinking it might just be a shower... they don't have showers in Wales, just rain ranging from heavy downpour to storm :grin:
Thanks Sean... I'd already decided that from reading some previoys reports or following HT (its Wales in my eyes)... I'm bringing my army surplus goretex jobbies. Heavy and nasty but seem to holdup happy...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I might need a sock upgrade, Jen has a superlight tri wet suit. I wonder if it will fit me.....

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:46 am
dlovett wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am

Looks like your waders won't work then... nor will tge 9 sets of waterproof amazon socks and sealspinz :grin:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Yes good advice below from Sean and remember it is suppose to be fun!

Food options that look good to me Are a decent breakfast at the star, only carry some snacks. Eats said snacks and then Lunch at the clock tower Café in March (they are brilliant). Buy more snacks and fresh water in Mach coop/spar. East more snacks till Dinner in Barmouth, buy lots more food and water in Barmouth Coop/Spar. Munch the rest of the way round and use filer and one of the water bladders for river top ups as needed.

The best made plans etc.....

sean_iow wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:40 am
My advice is:-

Don't over analysis the route, load it in to your gps and then just follow it on the day :-bd

If you are riding on a track/road and the line of the route is off to one side then have a look what's over that way. If the line of the route is through dense forest or in a reservoir then chances are the track you are on is the right way provided it's heading in the same general direction as the route.

Decide if you can carry enough food for the whole route, if not then you'll need to find somewhere to resupply. Be realistic about how fast you will be going. If you plan to finish in 24hrs then it's likely that any shops past the 100km mark will be shut by the time you get there (assuming you start at 09:00 then it will be 21:00 by 100k for a 24hr finish) so either stock up earlier on the route or find a way to carry more from the start.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With regard to the gpx Shaf - remember that the lines don't make that much sense when viewed in isolation (especially when zoomed right in) but when viewed 'on the ground' will make much more sense.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

When i imported the route in Ridewithgps, i got 4009m climbing and 208.9km, i have since tidied up the GPX track, and its coming out at 4982m and 214.8km :) Route looks great...cheers Stu!
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:48 am When i imported the route in Ridewithgps, i got 4009m climbing and 208.9km, i have since tidied up the GPX track, and its coming out at 4982m and 214.8km :) Route looks great...cheers Stu!
I put it into komoot and I get 4890m and 220km
May satan walk with you
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When i imported the route in Ridewithgps, i got 4009m climbing and 208.9km, i have since tidied up the GPX track, and its coming out at 4982m and 214.8km :)
I put it into komoot and I get 4890m and 220km
There we go, definite proof that it is whatever it is and it doesn't really matter a toss :-bd