I have a confession.......

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

I have a confession.......

Post by JohnClimber »

I've never enjoyed riding my bikes in the rain....
I've never even really enjoyed riding my bikes over sodden-ed ground
and I've never once enjoyed riding on wet roads
There I've said it

Today I took out my new MRS Nomad pack raft the 2 and a half miles down the Leeds Liverpool canal to the local B&Q for some bits and pieces, before paddling back home again. even the kingfisher was out to keep me company as well.
The towpath was full of bum soaking cycling puddles, the roads where full of miserable drivers splashing through the puddles in jams to and from the retail park and it rained heavily for every minute that I was out and about.

Most importantly for me I loved every minute of the 2 and a bit hours out and about in the rain today.
Rasta

Re: I have a confession.......

Post by Rasta »

Careful. You might get banned from the forum. :o
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Oh! Forgot to mention. I have just spent 4 days camping and fishing with my inflatable on Loch Morar. :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just love the fact that you used a raft to go to B&Q :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'd have loved it if you had gone to B&Q for paving slabs and a roll of barbed wire.......

I get the non-enjoyment of wet and boggy stuff - it is one of those endure not enjoy times sometimes
Mike

Post by Mike »

I also hate rain, mud, a wet arse like uv sub standard yaself, having to wash ya clothes constantly after every ride, clean the bike lube the chain. This is why im moving to Arizona, where you can ride in the sun all day in nothing but suncream and a pair of budgie smugglers, get covered in warm dust and go home only having to brush some orange sandy dust off the forks ready for tomorrows ride. Wouldnt that be bliss now...... then i woke up and looked out the window and feck me its raining again!!!
composite

Post by composite »

There is a certain romance to riding in the wind and the rain. In a Heathcliff striding across the moors type way.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I'm Welsh.... I simple do not understand the concept of not riding in the rain or getting wet... is there dry cycling? :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes there is NC, I refer the honourable gentleman to the Saga outing thread, as pic below shows I was dry from the waist up, incontinence pants kept my nether regions dry, below that things got interesting to be fair...

SBS now means Special Boat Service not Stop Being Soft :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I used to ride in all conditions and didn't even think about it. Now I'm 61 I find it hard to motivate myself in inclement weather. My devoted care and attention to my bike post ride is also waning. The daft thing is if I'm out and the weather turns I just get on with it and still enjoy it, :roll: .
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

There's always a little apprehension when starting out ,that the first drops of rain will burn like acid , always find it easier to ride to / from a Bivi than just a day ride when it's lashing ,I always remember a old boy said to me when I was commuting home one day "you never see a rusty man" ,also living on this island if we waited for Good weather we'd be looking out of the window 10 months of the year seeing if it was "safe " to go out
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ray Young wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:49 pm I used to ride in all conditions and didn't even think about it. Now I'm 61 I find it hard to motivate myself in inclement weather. My devoted care and attention to my bike post ride is also waning. The daft thing is if I'm out and the weather turns I just get on with it and still enjoy it, :roll: .
Oh, I hate going out into the rain, but if it starts while I'm out riding its less of a drama.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

you are all wrong it is obviously wind that is the wrong weather even the OP would have struggled on his raft if the wind was string enough
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Last time the Mrs's car went in for a service in the middle of the summer. I took our inflatable kayak with me in the car. after dropping the car off, I crossed the road from the dealer to the beach inflated said kayak and spent a lovely hour and a half paddling out the harbour and down the sea front to our house. Sometimes travelling by boat is just amazing and if it rains, well it washes the salt water off.
RIP

Post by RIP »

While we're all seemingly in the confessional box, I think I need to get this off my chest 'cos it's not good to bottle things up is it? While we were bivvied on our deluxe verandah in Hafren forest, we had to be at an angle because it wasn't wide enough. Even then, our feet poked out a bit. My bag would have got soaked (although it's water resistant) because I don't have a bivibag and have always backed off from one for various reasons. I was in the same situ a long time ago and just pulled a plastic bag over my sleeping bag - loads of condensation of course. So the confession is: this time I pulled my Rab eVent smock up over the bottom of my bag and it worked! No condensation at all and nice dry sleeping bag. Only problem was it was tight and restricted my night time wriggling :smile: . Problem now is, do I need to make a worse confession - do I now need to fess up to using a "bivibag", shock horror, even though it was actually a jacket? Oh the shame X_X :oops:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:11 am I just love the fact that you used a raft to go to B&Q :-bd
Thats what made me happiest about the post. Very amusing.
jameso

Post by jameso »

bum soaking cycling puddles
Guards? :-bd

Same as Scotroutes here, setting off in the rain's not great but once going, as long as it's not torrential and I have the right gear and guards, it's OK. At least I always think it's better than being indoors. It has it's limits though for sure.