BB200 Tracking Page

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

BB200 Tracking Page

Post by dlovett »

The kind folks at Spotwallia have again provided a group tracking page that will be live during the ride.

The link to the page is:
https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=735

To join it with your spot or inreach follow this link:
https://spotwalla.com/join.php?a=a&id=735

To join use the password, BB200, it is case sensitive. Users can join the page at any time, but won't be able to verify their location is on the map until the map is active on the Saturday morning.
Escape Goat

Re: BB200 Tracking Page

Post by Escape Goat »

I THINK I've done it. I tried sharing the spot gen 3 with Mrs from spot and its crap. Maybe spotwalla will work but struggling how to do it.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Escape Goat wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 pm I THINK I've done it. I tried sharing the spot gen 3 with Mrs from spot and its crap. Maybe spotwalla will work but struggling how to do it.
I'll ask them to start the page asap with last year's map so you can see if it works ok. They will then add this years map just before Saturday morning.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

dlovett wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:50 pm
Escape Goat wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 pm I THINK I've done it. I tried sharing the spot gen 3 with Mrs from spot and its crap. Maybe spotwalla will work but struggling how to do it.
I'll ask them to start the page asap with last year's map so you can see if it works ok. They will then add this years map just before Saturday morning.
The page is now live, without the route map obviously. That will appear Friday night/Saturday morning.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Holgateeng

Post by Holgateeng »

It doesn't seem to recognise my email , could late be because I'm a late entrant ?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

could late be because I'm a late entrant ?
I doubt it. It's not an official tracking page and isn't sanctioned as it were.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Holgateeng

Post by Holgateeng »

OK , just me being thick , joined now :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

If you have added your spot to the page can you turn it on and get it to send a track or check in signal, so we can check itโ€™s working ok.

Any inreach users signed up yet? If so can you do the same.

Iโ€™ll get my spot going when I walk the dog in the morning.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Just turned mine on and it works. I forgot to change initials from??? To my name. Now "ESG".
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Escape Goat wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:19 am Just turned mine on and it works. I forgot to change initials from??? To my name. Now "ESG".
Looking good are you on hols ?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I am mate. Just happy I've managed to work out my spot. Spotwalla is already better than the spot share page.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Escape Goat wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:03 pm I am mate. Just happy I've managed to work out my spot. Spotwalla is already better than the spot share page.
Yep it's brilliant, if you start to play with the email notification service it has, you don't ever need to spend money on buying additional spot notification sms's.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I got 50% off the year, so 200 messages included. Unsure if that's a month or a year though!!

I'm assuming I can load up my own gpx file and share it with my Mrs so she can see where I'm going as a test pre bb200
Last edited by Escape Goat on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Escape Goat wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:27 pm I got 50% off the year, so 200 messages included. Unsure if that's a month or a year though!!

I'm assuming I can load up my own gpx file and share it with my Mrs so she can see where I'm going?
Yeah, you create a Trip, give it start/end dates and upload a track you've created. Once the track is uploaded you can reuse it if you repeat the trip.

Remember to send an OK message from your Spot to "wake up" Spotwalla at the start of each trip.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

ScotRoutes wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:29 pm
Escape Goat wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:27 pm I got 50% off the year, so 200 messages included. Unsure if that's a month or a year though!!

I'm assuming I can load up my own gpx file and share it with my Mrs so she can see where I'm going?

Remember to send an OK message from your Spot to "wake up" Spotwalla at the start of each trip.
Doesn't the little walk button do thi? I'm actually yet to press the OK message button. Ever.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Looks like two of us are running ok on it now. Hopefully the others will send some pings.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Brill. I'm going to try a custom gpx tomorrow with my Mrs and figure out the email or I'm OK button.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use the OK button at the start of every trip and send a message to my own number so I can confirm it's all working.

The Spotwalla chap recommended using the OK button as Spotwalla doesn't constantly "page" the Spot data and this acts as a wake-up.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ScotRoutes wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:42 pm I use the OK button at the start of every trip and send a message to my own number so I can confirm it's all working.

The Spotwalla chap recommended using the OK button as Spotwalla doesn't constantly "page" the Spot data and this acts as a wake-up.
If you have the Spotwalla, not Spot email notification turned on it will page the spot every 10 mins. As you say sending an ok message whenever you turn it on also kick starts it.
Last edited by dlovett on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Who uses email these days? :ugeek:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I've just spent 2 hours educating myself on how to create a track, have my dot show up, share with the mrs and it was easy looking back but so hard to start off with.

The only issue I have is, I get 200 messages to check in. As I turn off spot and turn back on, pressing the check in button kickstarts Spotwalla.

Can I either remove phone number and just have email and then it doesn't count towards texts... Or is there a better way?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

dlovett wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:57 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:42 pm I use the OK button at the start of every trip and send a message to my own number so I can confirm it's all working.

If you have the email notification turned on it will page the spot every 10 mins.
Or is just having email set up fine and no need to push a button other than on and start?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I am no expert but this is the way I understand it.

With Spot you have XXX (200?) messages. These count SMS messages only and not emails I believe.

On Spot, I have a message set up for the OK button saying I am ok and this is sent to my and my family's email addresses.

I have the custom button set up to say "I have a bike issue or minor injury, don't panic but please can you come and help me, I'm walking/riding to the nearest road." This is sent to my and my family's email addresses and the family's mobiles as an SMS's. So each time I push the custom button, I use three messages. II have the help and SOS buttons set up the same.

I normally turn on the spot before I leave and press the ok button to check it's all working. I then press the tracking button and as long as you keep moving it sends out the track posts to your shared spot page every 5 mins. If you stop it pauses and then continues once you start moving. You should then get an email with the check in message so you know it's all working ok.

Spotwalla is set to poll the spot for new messages every 10 minutes. It gets them from Spot and then puts them on what every trip you have set up or group page.

It's email notification system allows you to send much more detailed emails to lots more people. Mine is just set up for check in messages, but I believe you can set up multiple ones for all of the other message types.

Basically Spot handles the emergency stuff and Spotwalla does all the messaging and tracking for my family.

There might well be better way of doing it, if anybody know, please suggest it.

Cheers

Escape Goat wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:12 pm
dlovett wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:57 pm

If you have the email notification turned on it will page the spot every 10 mins.
Or is just having email set up fine and no need to push a button other than on and start?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks for the info, can I check, your OK message comes from Spotwalla or spot?