Winter Bivi ,Salop,peaks or anywhere

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Winter Bivi ,Salop,peaks or anywhere

Post by middleagedmadness »

Some of our drivel spoken on the O.A.Ps outing was the forth coming winter Bivi as we're creeping into Oct and the months are disappearing it maybe the time for a show of interest in who's interested in a similar thing to last year ,a little riding ,lots of cafes and pubs ,drivel spoken ,sleeping on a hill and sh1te Weather,can't wait :-bd
As like last year the riding is a means to get to the pubs as there was no views to be seen last year
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Winter Bivi ,Salop,peaks or anywhere

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some time ago, Mike suggested that we use the same route that I proposed last year - he rode it and proclaimed it a good un. I'd possibly shorten it a little in places then if the weather's bad (again) we might at least make it further than the co-op in Bishops Castle ... and I probably burnt our bridges in the pub there. :wink:

Don't know whether that might tie in with the Shropsire Nomad crew? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

What was fun last year was the prospect of bumping into other groups converging on Stretton/Bishops from all directions - bit like a mini-WRT but, er, Salopian. As MaM says it doesn't really matter where it is although selfishly speaking I'd prefer something not too far west cos the Winter Event will be my fix there 2 weeks later. Maybe a Stretton start ending up in Bishops? Not many tracks/bways between the two though? I dunno, he finishes lamely.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:43 am Some time ago, Mike suggested that we use the same route that I proposed last year - he rode it and proclaimed it a good un. I'd possibly shorten it a little in places then if the weather's bad (again) we might at least make it further than the co-op in Bishops Castle ... and I probably burnt our bridges in the pub there. :wink:

Haven't really planned anything yet stu but bishops castle was mentioned so could be a goer :-bd
Reg did mention getting train to welshpool and meandering our way back ,can you send me a copy of your route and we'll see if there's any crossover to meet up in the evening for food and bivi
Last edited by middleagedmadness on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Obviously, to stand as a WWB, I'd need to be departing from this side of the dyke but no reason why most of it can't take place ont' other side :wink:
middleagedmadness

Not a bother,just edited last post as there was a idea of starting in welshpool ourselves
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

What's the exact most westerly point of Wales? (no not the Welsh embassy in London :wink: ). I can't be arsed to go and look at the map. Somewhere near Knighton is it? Or is it Chepstow come to think of it - that would put the feline amongst the flying rats. You could start with your front wheel on the Welsh side, just touching the border and pointing east Stu. That would count as WWB wouldn't it :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

RIP wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:28 am What's the exact most westerly point of Wales? (no not the Welsh embassy in London :wink: ).
<pedant> most westerly would be ? Ramsey Island, Pembrokeshire surely </pedant>

Easterly just north of Symonds Yat?

:geek: :grin:
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah sorry, yes, thanks 'Chimp, that's what I meant :wink: . East would be more sensible or it would be a VERY short ride for Stu :wink: .

jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:43 am Some time ago, Mike suggested that we use the same route that I proposed last year - he rode it and proclaimed it a good un. I'd possibly shorten it a little in places then if the weather's bad (again) we might at least make it further than the co-op in Bishops Castle ... and I probably burnt our bridges in the pub there. :wink:

Can we have less black ice this time :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

MaM, pencil me in and hopefully the stars will align this time
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

You can go over the Mynd from Stretton heading towards Stiper Stones and circle back towards Bishops Castle via Heath Mynd. It’s my back yard.
middleagedmadness

tobasco wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm You can go over the Mynd from Stretton heading towards Stiper Stones and circle back towards Bishops Castle via Heath Mynd. It’s my back yard.
Well sir if it's your back yard get yourself ready for the 14th of Dec (as long as you don't mind a more sedate pace) and we probably won't bother with bridges as it seemed a awful lot of effort for the staff to serve us a couple of pints ,just because we were soaked and covered in sh1te :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep we've burnt our bridges in Bridges! Funnily enough I was aimlessly nosing around at the map last night. MaM/Stu are you reckoning on feeding/bivvying at/in/near Bish then? If we're as big a group as last year do we have to <shudder>book a pub? Or just storm the town ramparts at the time and wing it? Someone else's turn to do the booking if that's the ploy :smile: .

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I always find great satisfaction in winging it - 'tis the road to adventure.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep you're right of course, and my usual modus operandi. Get a grip Reg. If all else fails there's nowt wrong with a potnoodle with a holly leaf on top. It's just that the Crimbo outing seems an opportunity to spend most of the day group-scoffing/drinking/drivelling, and "booking" somewhere would make that a bit easier. Then again maybe the opposite is the case!

I think I've found an unpleasant bivi spot so that's good anyway.

middleagedmadness

Don't panick Mr Mannering everything always works itself out anyhows ,food will be available ,no need to panick :lol: :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Oh I’m up for this, I rode most of last year’s aborted route last week when Scott was over
https://strava.app.link/8mkgXNmvJ0
Was a bit of a beast climbing wise, :-bd
Hopefully we will have some more interesting weather as last year it really was fun.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
trob6

Post by trob6 »

If its open to all I would like to come , if talking drivel and eating is involved I think I would fit in well.
Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
middleagedmadness

trob6 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:15 pm If its open to all I would like to come , if talking drivel and eating is involved I think I would fit in well.
Tim.
Don't think I've ever seen a "invite only " on here Tim ,your more than welcome no need to stand on manners , we'll see what the Welsh guys are upto and make a plan from there ,ooh did we mention food and drink :wink:
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I guessed as much but k always think it's best to ask.
Yes I did hear mention of food and mostly drink very keen on hydration you lot !
RIP

Post by RIP »

'very keen on hydration' - oh aye, we're world experts on that score. Our speciality is that stuff with loads of B vitamins and potassium.

trob6

Post by trob6 »

The stuff measured in imperial pints :grin:
Al

Post by Al »

Plenty to do around BC.
If you go south of the Kerry ridge there’s a fantastic pub in clun and some very agreeable old drivers roads beyond it. Happy make some suggestions.