Do I 'need' a fat bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Re: Do I 'need' a fat bike?

Post by PaulB2 »

Out of curiosity do people use studded tyres with the fat bike on snow?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nope. Studded tyres are only required for ice.

For snow, there are two approaches. The original fatbike tyres had very little tread depth, so you don't cut the snow up much and ride over the top of it. That works OK on groomed trails (until they ice up). Later tyres became more knobbly which still provide a bit of "bite" for both traction when pedalling and, importantly, for steering. Both have their place depending on snow conditions.

Studded knobby tyres are available but are very expensive and weigh about the same as a small moon. I've managed 9 years or so without them.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:35 am Out of curiosity do people use studded tyres with the fat bike on snow?
Just letting the air out to about 2psi has always worked with Jumbo Jim's
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:35 am Out of curiosity do people use studded tyres with the fat bike on snow?
As Colin notes, studs are only really useful on ice and specifically sheet ice, if the ice surface is rough then for practical purposes it's just firmer snow.

I've been down to very low pressures to maintain traction, the mantra is "If in doubt, let it out!" In Rovaniemi this year I ran my tyres at something similar to the shot below which maybe was a bit too low but on the lakes and the non-packed trails if you had too much pressure you couldn't make any progress as the snow was soft and slushy and would grab your front wheel. There's no point in saying run at Xpsi because it's different for everyone and each situation is so different, you've just got to be prepared to let air out or pump your tyres up to cope with whatever's there.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Hey Rich!

Consider a fat bike an ATB, it'll go everywhere and do pretty much everything, I should know I certainly put the Pugsley through its paces :-bd

If you're going to go down that route, I'd pay serious attention to the overall weight of the build and particularly tyre choice in terms of performance and weight for rotational mass.

They are ace on snow and sand particularly when the tyre pressures are dropped real low.

Personally I struggled to justify owning mine once I got back from travelling, a plus size format either 29+ or 650B+ is much more versatile with most of the benefits of plushness etc when ran tubeless.

Feel free to bend my ear on Thursday.

Cheers

Mike
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Always fancied giving them a go but I rarely encounter ice (although I generally take a header when I do....)
If its sub zero ice can be quite grippy and 2psi will get you over it safely if your careful. Its only when its above zero and wet that its lethal....

Bud and Lou at 1psi made for an amazing amount of float - I was able to ride over windslab that you couldn't walk through without postholing. It was incredibly hard work mind!
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

I use my fat bike less than I use to but when the riding involves boggy moorland or slushy wet it just works so well, riding the puffer I never used it because it's not it's environment, 27+ or 29 much better. Riding up Affric to the bothy it eats the track easily.
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Hell Yes because it can become a not so fat bike!!

ImageIMG_1695 by Duncan Lovett, on Flickr

Currently in Dragster mode, 29x2.1 up front 26x4 at the back.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I love my fat bike as some here will know , climb anything, go anywhere.

The one terrain they don't like is rock/bouldery downs like Edale cross to Hayfield.

As for snow that can be hit and miss. Most often English snow is too warm and wet. The beast from the east snow was 100% perfect.

As Whitestone says if in doubt let it out.

For me in very boggy Lancashire though it is perfect. It just loves wet peaty boggy hags. Ask my wife!
omedunk

Post by omedunk »

fatbikerbill wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:13 am The one terrain they don't like is rock/bouldery downs like Edale cross to Hayfield.
Because the tires are too bumpy?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »