Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by TheBrownDog »

Right. Here I go again. This time I'm not making the mistake of eating at the pub and allowing a pint soften me up. Ive had me tea, got my daughter to her tutor and am back here to pack and leave around 8pm, 30 min ride up to a spot I saw last weekend, I'll be swinging happily in my hammock by 9pm. That's the plan anyway. Looks like little chance of rain overnight but some proper stuff in the morning. But that won't be a drama will it?
I'm just going outside ...
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Doesn't matter if you get wet in the morning, you can dry off at home after.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

have a good dangle!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Borderer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 pm Doesn't matter if you get wet in the morning, you can dry off at home after.
Home and dry (ish) Somehow managed to dodge the showers. Pretty much. I always sleep well in a hammock in the woods, despite the wildlife rustling the hedges. Woke up once at 3am and remembered I'd forgotten to take a photo. So I did. That's September done, but if Im being brutally honest, I'm not sure it's in the true spirit of BAM.

I'm just going outside ...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 am I'm not sure it's in the true spirit of BAM.
Some of mine have been less than a mile from my house and others have been after riding 120 miles at the other end of the country, they all count. For me BAM is about sleeping out, not where it is or how far I rode. The local ones take more determination as it's easy to bail to home.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

It definitely counts.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

100% counts for sure. BAM doesn't have a minimum riding time or distance :) Nice one!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

September achieved, in the company ( :o ) of another rider from Sheffield! After months of nagging various riding associates to come out and enjoy sleeping al fresco, it's finally happened!

A nice bimble through Sheffield's parks, and up onto the edges. At one point it looked like we might get a nice pink sunset, but the sun had dropped before we reached the ridgeline, and we descended to the pub in darkness. The "Road closed" sign didn't surprise me (this particular route having been closed to vehicles for a while), but there's actual remedial work taking place, and we laughed as we were presented by a series of mounds of road material, ready to be steamrollered into a more usable surface. A couple of pints, some food, and an abortive look at the pub quiz, we set off back into the night, opting to take the steeper but more direct route to our bivvy spot. Another closed route, this time the footpath. Despite being mostly "paved", it was still serious "I never go for a walk without my bike" territory, and we struggled for footing as we pushed up the hill.

Once at the top, it was a short roll along the road to the woods, where we set up with a minimal amount of faffing. I did pretty well on the series of naps front, though the wind changed in the night, meaning I retreated further and further into my tarp. Jack, with only a bivvy bag got all the showers, but was still in good spirits in the morning.

I passed on the original plan of having a brew, opting instead to pack up and take the shortest route home. A pretty dreich pull back up the hill, followed by a coast back through the parks meant I was home and warm again in time for breakfast.

2019 BAM 9/9
2019 total bivvies 11
Current streak (months) 10
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Borderer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:16 am Friday and Saturday were rare September days of stunning weather here. Friday it was 22C and the sun was blazing, so you can imagine how thrilled I was that we wasted THE WHOLE DAY searching for my debit card which the boy had mislaid. :roll:

I had planned a trip to try some of the Fife Coastal path but by the time the card was located it was too late for that. We rode out to one of our favourite swimming spots instead.
Glad to see you and Joe out after your earlier post. We did a bit of the Fife Coastal Path last weekend from Tayport into Tentsmuir Forest. Some great wee camping spots there.
BaM 2021
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Yes I saw that and thought how funny it would have been if we had bumped into each other :lol:
We had an arrangement to visit friends in Dalgety Bay on Saturday evening which was why I thought of the Fife Coastal path. I know Blair from here has ridden some of it, but I couldn't find an account of someone riding the whole thing. Be interested to hear how you found it. The bivvy spot you found looked great right enough. It is def on the list for riding later.

On another note I hadn't realised quite how hot on Joe's heels Fraser is for the 'Youngest ever BAMer' title. How old is your Fraser? I think it means that if we all complete it then Joe will only hold the title for a month, but that's ok. I'm sure we can milk the bragging rights for all they are worth :roll: :lol:
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Borderer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:31 am Yes I saw that and thought how funny it would have been if we had bumped into each other :lol:
We had an arrangement to visit friends in Dalgety Bay on Saturday evening which was why I thought of the Fife Coastal path. I know Blair from here has ridden some of it, but I couldn't find an account of someone riding the whole thing. Be interested to hear how you found it. The bivvy spot you found looked great right enough. It is def on the list for riding later.

On another note I hadn't realised quite how hot on Joe's heels Fraser is for the 'Youngest ever BAMer' title. How old is your Fraser? I think it means that if we all complete it then Joe will only hold the title for a month, but that's ok. I'm sure we can milk the bragging rights for all they are worth :roll: :lol:
The part we were on is a big wide track. Think it's like that through the whole forest. We didn't venture far as my other son Lewis was walking.

Fraser will be 12 at the end of the year. Think Tom Seipp would probably hold the Youngest ever BaMer title.
BaM 2021
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Borderer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:31 am Yes I saw that and thought how funny it would have been if we had bumped into each other :lol:

https://philsbikepacking.blogspot.com/2 ... -home.html (Sorry for shamless blog plug :mrgreen: )
I've ridden it loads of times plus I managed it for 3 years so any further questions please ask....
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Earlier this week I headed up to the Highlands to get this month’s BAM sorted. A late departure from Edinburgh meant I didn’t get the pedals turning until after 6 p.m. I’d planned on setting up camp at the northeast corner of Loch Ossian and finally reached there just as darkness was falling. I found a nice flat spot close to the loch and, when strong winds arrived in the middle of the night, I was glad of the shelter provided by nearby bushes. Next morning I headed along the lochside track to Corrour Station (well known for being the site of the “It’s sh*te being Scottish” rant by Renton/Ewan McGregor in the 'Trainspotting' movie). Well, there was nothing sh*te about the coffee or the venison sausage and black pudding rolls I had in the station’s surprisingly well appointed restaurant, I can tell you. After finally managing to prise myself away from there, I completed the circuit of Loch Ossian before retracing my route back to the mother ship.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

JimmyG wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 pm Earlier this week I headed up to the Highlands to get this month’s BAM sorted. A late departure from Edinburgh meant I didn’t get the pedals turning until after 6 p.m. I’d planned on setting up camp at the northeast corner of Loch Ossian and finally reached there just as darkness was falling. I found a nice flat spot close to the loch and, when strong winds arrived in the middle of the night, I was glad of the shelter provided by nearby bushes. Next morning I headed along the lochside track to Corrour Station (perhaps best known for being the scene of the “It’s sh*te being Scottish” rant by Renton/Ewan McGregor in the 'Trainspotting' movie). Well, there was nothing sh*te about the coffee or the venison sausage and black pudding rolls I had in the station’s surprisingly well appointed restaurant, I can tell you. After finally managing to prise myself away from there, I completed the circuit of Loch Ossian before retracing my route back to the mother ship.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Alan63 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:02 pm Fraser will be 12 at the end of the year. Think Tom Seipp would probably hold the Youngest ever BaMer title.
Stu told me that Joe would get the title if he completed this year. I know Tom has done a lot of camping out but afaik he hasn't done a full year. So yes, Fraser would easily steal it afterwards.
htrider wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:12 pm
https://philsbikepacking.blogspot.com/2 ... -home.html (Sorry for shamless blog plug :mrgreen: )
I've ridden it loads of times plus I managed it for 3 years so any further questions please ask....
Ooooh, that's brilliant thanks. I did think about contacting you actually, but left it a bit late.

Well done JimmyG, that looks ace.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Borderer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:18 pm
Alan63 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:02 pm Fraser will be 12 at the end of the year. Think Tom Seipp would probably hold the Youngest ever BaMer title.
Stu told me that Joe would get the title if he completed this year. I know Tom has done a lot of camping out but afaik he hasn't done a full year. So yes, Fraser would easily steal it afterwards.
htrider wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:12 pm
Ooooh, that's brilliant thanks. I did think about contacting you actually, but left it a bit late.

Well done JimmyG, that looks ace.
Thanks Borderer. Got lucky with the weather which always helps!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

JimmyG wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 pm Earlier this week I headed up to the Highlands to get this month’s BAM sorted. A late departure from Edinburgh meant I didn’t get the pedals turning until after 6 p.m. I’d planned on setting up camp at the northeast corner of Loch Ossian and finally reached there just as darkness was falling. I found a nice flat spot close to the loch and, when strong winds arrived in the middle of the night, I was glad of the shelter provided by nearby bushes. Next morning I headed along the lochside track to Corrour Station (perhaps best known for being the scene of the “It’s sh*te being Scottish” rant by Renton/Ewan McGregor in the 'Trainspotting' movie). Well, there was nothing sh*te about the coffee or the venison sausage and black pudding rolls I had in the station’s surprisingly well appointed restaurant, I can tell you. After finally managing to prise myself away from there, I completed the circuit of Loch Ossian before retracing my route back to the mother ship.

RIP

Post by RIP »

MaM, Peter S, Pickers and self in sand-dunes near Borth. Moist, blowy, mmm quite seriously character building in fact. More later if we survive to tell the tale.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The venison lorne sausage at Corrour is completely a.w.e.s.o.m.e. I really can't praise it highly enough. Unfortunately, it's made on the estate and they will not sell it. Believe me, I've tried to convince them more than once.

Oh - nice ride. :lol:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Agreed. Very nice indeed... the ride and the sausage!
paramart

Post by paramart »

had to have a night out whilst on holiday in the peak district, chose Monday got stuff chucked into a little rucksack with a flask of coffee and set off into a howling gale and rain,
could have shared a shelter with a mouse after a mile and half but chose to press on for a few miles to the old workmans hut I stayed in before knowing it would be dry and hoping no one else was in it, was draughty but dry, not great pics but arrived late and left early. 10/10 for me
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

paramart wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:55 pm the old workmans hut
Mind sharing the location over a PM? I'm always keen to find new spots in the Peak.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:15 pm MaM, Peter S, Pickers and self in sand-dunes near Borth. Moist, blowy, mmm quite seriously character building in fact. More later if we survive to tell the tale.
It’s not looking good, I’ll be out beachcombing
For pickers new bike :-
RIP wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:15 pmMoist, blowy, mmm
Oh hang on..... :shock: :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Last weekend: Punting out the office like Image

Sunrise Image
from my bed :-bd

Cart tracks Image

Stoodley Pike Image

and another night cos it was so much fun

https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/201 ... -bivi.html More words
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
javatime

Post by javatime »

September done : 8/8 for me I started in February

Another after work mid weeker. Found myself on Hallen Marsh in the M5/M48 traingle. I found an enticing unmapped gated lane off of NCN10 parallel to the railway bank up above, perfect but couldn't get my tent pegs in, think it may have been a road beneath the vegetation..so slipped through the fence to an empty meadow.
I quite enjoy exploring these Edgelands in the Unofficial Countryside when I can't get to the hiils. Hum of the motorways in the distance, red lights flashing on the wind turbines chopping the air above. A pint with the paper in the King William nearby later, very quiet, then discovered all the locals out back in the annex bar with pool, TV, jukebox...
After packing found I had a puncture, but no surprise after riding over the barb wire brambles several times. Got into work much earlier than usual....

Poor photo, just remembered after I had taken down the tent - but shows that I was there !