Full Mudgaurds?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Full Mudgaurds?

Post by FLV »

OK, so yes some days I'm a bit soft and just dont want to be covered head to toe in crap and water.

Does anyone use full mudgaurds with decent size tyres? Either on a cross/gravel/whatever bike or a full on mtb? And go mildly off road with them?

Its probably a little early in the year but it is bloody wet just now.
In Reverse

Re: Full Mudgaurds?

Post by In Reverse »

I've got a set of Zefal ones (Deflectors maybe? I bought then off here) that are pretty damn good. Easy to put on / take off as the mood takes me.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I wouldn't be without them on my bikes. Soft ... nah, they let you ride in bad weather for longer and remove excuses on wet days : ) plus it keeps all the crap off your expensive waterproofs and bags to keep kit cleaner. What made the decision for me is how the spray continues to soak you for a long time after the rain has stopped and the spray is the filthy crap - mud, sh1t, oil, diesel, salt... Rain alone is fine and with guards you end up far less wet overall during the rain. I've got to the point where dynamo lights F+R and proper guards are standard spec on my drop-bar bikes or commuter.

The Pinnacle '650B' guards fit up to 700x45 or 650x50 and I've used them enough to vouch for durability (2x TNRs, local all-road use for a couple of years). The stay to guard attachment type clogs less and if fitted with even tension all-round ie not pulling out of shape at any mount point they last well. Lighter than most also.
I use modified Cruds on the MTB with a rear mounted to the Jones fork. Cruds have a crap mount design but with some drilling and zip-tie use (or sugru?) they're good.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks chaps.

My only bike that will take mudgaurds and decent sized tyres at the same time is my rigid mtb so thats the main candidate to get some gaurds. Though I am looking to swap my Salsa warbird for something with bigger clearances and slightly more relaxed geometry which would move that to the top of the list to get some for.

I'll have a look at the ones you have mentioned. Ta.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Also, whilst browsing bikes / frames. There's a lot of bikes with rear mudgaurd mounts, but not front mounts.

I find this to be silly (I know its likely due to off the shelf fork selection rather than a design oversight)
jameso

Post by jameso »

silly
I'd use a stronger word than that but would settle on incompetent.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

FLV wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:55 am Also, whilst browsing bikes / frames. There's a lot of bikes with rear mudgaurd mounts, but not front mounts.

I find this to be silly (I know its likely due to off the shelf fork selection rather than a design oversight)
Some bikes have hidden mounts, such as Trek which aren’t always visible to the eye but are definitely there.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Been using Mudhuggers for 2 to 3 years..

Can recommend them - the back one especially does a great job....

And in this climate it’s a no brainer....
survivor

Post by survivor »

My first reply on the forum with a subject I can help with...... :-bd

I've took the off-road mudguard thing to the extreme and found some solid rattle free ( but heavy) aluminium guards which cover a 29x 2.6 tyre but can be had in all sizes.

Here's the post I put on single-track awhile back:

After breaking four sets of SKS 65mm Bluemels over the past few years I’ve finally found a solid set of rattle free full mudguards for my rigid 29er which does the off-road commute, XC, bridleway exploring etc etc….

I know, full mudguards are a bit niche for MTB but it’s nice not to turn up to work covered in filth and soaking wet and I’m thinking there may be others who have had similar problems with what’s available from the usual suppliers as they just don’t last when used off road.

Anyway. After much searching and then translating of German forums I found these

https://www.pletscher.ch/index.php/en/p ... fenders-en

Specifically the 29er 80mm wide versions. Solid aluminium, anodised black and can even carry panniers with the supplied bracket.

The price….. £120!

I’ve spent that already on the sets of SKS guards I’ve destroyed so thought it was worth a shot if they were as solid as the seemed to be.

Found a supplier in Germany and took a punt

https://www.720-bike.de/produkte/schutzbleche/?p=1

Fitted yesterday and first off road ride out today. I’m seriously impressed. Not one squeak or rattle. The guards themselves seemed to be extruded 3mm aluminium and the stays are 8mm aluminium rods all held together with stainless bolts.

Downside? The are obviously quite a bit heavier than the plastic SKS guards they’ve replaced and the cost obviously but honestly I can’t see me breaking these anytime soon. They barely move when riding.

There’s no UK supplier I could find and the only info on these is on a German ebike forum so thought I’d post this up for us English speaking full mudguard lovers!
Scud

Post by Scud »

I have "that" bike, the one that i can rely on to work and the one that gets pulled out all winter and whenever it rains (so most of the summer at present) an old Singular Peregrine set up singlespeed with cable discs, not flash at all, but set up with mudguards, always has tools and tube attached, and will be ridden whatever the weather road or off road.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I have a set of Orange Velo Zeppelin Fenders on the Camino. Orange advised me to get the 700 ones even thought the bike is 650x47 as they would fit better. I tiny bit of compression was needed between the forks but there is zero rub on the tyres even when muddy. People are alway complementing them and I stay much drier and cleaning then when I don'y have them mounted. They also act as a theft deterrent as the the kids they are uncool and they will nick the crappy but shiny Carrera park next to you. They are 3 bolts etc to fit/remove and in total it's a 10 minute job as the mounts stay on the bike https://velo-orange.com/collections/fen ... nders-700c
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Full length sks's on the gravel bike - attaching the front stays to the low rider mounts half way up the forks reduces front rattles considerably. Got the 45mm's which cover a 40mm tyre fine. Happy to batter it down rough tracks with only marginal fear of them heading into the wheel and splattering my face into the ground (this happened to me once) ensure that there is a bigger gap between tyre and guard at the crown than at the bottom.

On the jones I use a mudhugger rear and the latest mucky nutz front guard which is a longer version of the mudhugger front. A bit of poly prop sheet between the seat stays and the BB keeps mud off the back of your legs and a bit more on the lower down tube keeps your bottle and frame bag clean.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

On the Vir Fortis I have a Fathugger out front all year and a Mudhugger 29, with fat extension on the rear when it's wet. It's even done a BB200. Both work welll with a 4.8 tyre.

My friends took the piss on the first ride I had with them one, until the cafe we stopped at would only serve me as I was clean and they were all muddy. Never heard a word about them again and somehow they have now appeared on some of their bikes in the winer.....

I have since widened all the mounting holes with a dremel and they are held on very securely with velcro tape, but can be removed in seconds for the bike going on the roof rack etc.
Last edited by dlovett on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Brilliant, thanks for these replys.

Its times like this when its been raining for a week and i fancy just getting out and exploring b roads and little used bridleways when i want exactly what we are discussing.

Thanks again
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Full mudguards on my cargo bike, arkose commuter and brompton

Big rear mudguard on my solaris (when it's wet). Big front one doesn't fit well, just have a little one and a down tube one

Mudguards are excellent. They look awful but they make life so much easier and more civilised
Last edited by benp1 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

SKS 45mm on the croix de fer ,and mudhuggers on the longitude , rear mudhugger absolutely brilliant , front not so much with plus tyres needs a downtube defender as well to keep you clean
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I've got SKS Chromoplastics in 26" x 70mm on my ancient Univega, which serves as my shopping and bad weather bike. It's been in mud so sticky that the wheels stopped rotating but no problems with the guards. Lasting well, been on the bike 4 years now (though do come off occaisionally). I like them because once set up right (fiddly and time consuming) absolutely no squeaks and rattles.
I would recommend two stays per side on the guards if you are going to be using the bike offroad, because... The Kona Sutra (touring version) came with mudguards fitted but with only one stay each side, I could never get them to stop rattling when used off road no matter what I tried. Eventually the rear cracked at the chainstay bridge. I'll be ordering more SKS soon to replace them.
If you have the frame clearance it might be worth considering sizing up width wise, less aerodynamic (apparantly) but it stops spray etc coming round the side of the guard especially when using 'gravel' tyres (Nano and Clement xplor in my case). The Univega with the 70mm width guards runs with 50mm Landcruiser and works well
FLV

Post by FLV »

After staring at the rain for a few hours again today, I've ordered a set of the pinnacle gaurds Jameso reccomended. I'll be attempting to fit them to 700x45 on the new mixed bike. So will see how they fit :grin:

Probably sticking to mudhugger / crus style on the mtb for now, until I find a set that will go over a 29x3.0 or a 29x 2.6 :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

FLV wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm After staring at the rain for a few hours again today, I've ordered a set of the pinnacle gaurds Jameso reccomended. I'll be attempting to fit them to 700x45 on the new mixed bike. So will see how they fit :grin:
I was looking at those too, so intrigued how you get on.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Commuter has mudguards SKS 38 mm ones iirc.
Also use a mud hugger on rear for SS and a front fork bung mounted front one

They are practical beyond words and making riding in sub standard weather much more pleasant as its the spray that soaks and is full of crud.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have we got a link for the Pinnacle guards? I've looked on Evans website but can't see them. Ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-65 ... t-EV327735

Unfortunately it looks like they're out of stock just in time for winter. :roll:
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

My gravelly bike spends most of the year with these SKS Bluemels 45mm guards on and some 35mm Marathon Winters or 38mm Vittoria Hypers.

Hard to imagine winter riding without them, to be honest.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

On the mountain bike I use Crud guards. Not the best but it's thick, sticky clay where I live and they're the only thing I've found that doesn't get either clogged or ripped off.
FLV

Post by FLV »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:00 pm https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-65 ... t-EV327735

Unfortunately it looks like they're out of stock just in time for winter. :roll:
Yeah, noticed that. Looks like I ordered the very last set. I accidentally tried to add 2 sets to my basket and it wouldnt let me.

I'll post when they arrive on how they fit, I'm sure they will be back in stock too. I have every faith in James' reccomendation though :grin: