Charitable bicycle purchase...

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Giacomo

Charitable bicycle purchase...

Post by Giacomo »

Hi all,

A good friend of mine has recently lost everything she owned in a fire. She was on holiday at the time and came home to the awful news that the whole block of flats had burnt down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49630496

To make matters worse, she didn't have any contents insurance. She now has nothing. A few friends are clubbing together to see if we can get her a new bike. We don't have a huge budget so I thought i'd see if anyone on the forum has a road bike in decent condition that they'd be willing to let go of? We have raised around £350-400 at time of writing and we don't forsee this increasing massively.

She would require something around a 54cm (if women's specific frame - I think these tend to come up a bit shorter in the top tube) and maybe a 52-53cm blokes bike.

Thanks for reading.

Giacomo
PaulB2

Re: Charitable bicycle purchase...

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got a 15 year old 55cm mens bike (2004 Lemond Nevada City) that's been largely unused for the last 8 years gathering dust in a friends garage but that's probably too big.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Hi Giacomo,

Sounds like a crappy situation!

I have an oldish (6 years maybe) Planet X pro carbon in Medium that's gathering dust (I'm never too keen on riding it on the roads round here), I'd half heartedly made an attempt to shift it on, but at the moment it's just sitting on the rollers. It's never been crashed and it rides nicely, I just don't really have a need for it. Frame sizes always throw me off, but I'm 5'11" and it's a touch short for me but would be fine for someone a bit short or someone who likes a smaller frame.

It would likely need a new cassette and tyres, but the rest of it seems fine. Happy to shift it at a cheap price for a good cause if you're happy to bolt the bits on to it. Is this any use for your friend? If so PM me your email and I can send some photos over.

On another note, I'm presuming there aren't that many Giacomos who Bikepack and are SW based, do you work with Dan B by any chance? I played with him at Windmill and Tour a few years ago and see the posts of your exploits on the construction and his FB pages.

Cheers,

Andy
Giacomo

Post by Giacomo »

Thanks for the offer Paul. It sounds as though that will be too big for her though unfortunately.

Andy, I've PM'd you re the planet x. And YES, small world! :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

If you need parts to get a bike going let me know, got a load of spares you can have foc if they fit the bill.
macskive

Post by macskive »

This is a great looking bike and is within your budget:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1987281 ... 59&sfns=mo