Tubeless sealant

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Tubeless sealant

Post by PaulB2 »

How often do people top up with sealant? I've just realised I've not topped up in 6 months of fairly light usage and the rear no longer stays up for more than an hour. The front is still fine though.
Escape Goat

Re: Tubeless sealant

Post by Escape Goat »

I remove clean and re install every 3 - 6 months. I never mix old and new.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

when my tyre does what your does or when i am about to do a few days trip and cannot remember when i last did it .

Never stripped and re installed just top up through the valve with a syringe. - not really sure what the point is of that as i dont get punctures and i have never found lumps of sealant or anything like that when I eventually change the tyre
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Sealant goes off and until it can't seal a hole, you won't notice.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Same as Lazarus , bouncy tyres before a ride make sure I can here it sloshing ,if not top it up only ever take the tyre off when it's time to bin it ,never found any stanimals or anything like that ,think it's been about 6 months since I last topped up ,and no problems sealing a hole last week Paul ,just push some more through the valve you'll be grand :-bd
Ooh started using muc off sealant leaves a lovely fluorescent pink line all over your tyre when you do get a puncture ,but seems to seal a bit better than Stan's ( and no I didn't empty the old Stan's just topped up with this and no problems)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I know i sealant goes off /wont last forever so requires replacing
I am specifically asking why you go through the faff of unseating, removal, cleaning, reinstalling etc as i know of no ill effects from just adding some more sealant which takes about 2 minutes where as you approach is what an hour?

what are you trying to avoid with your approach ?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Tis but personal preference bud. That's what the sealant companies recommend, and I also recommend this to my customers. :smile:

I'd also never mix week old milk and fresh milk. 🐮

Everyone is different to what they do I guess.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

If you're concerned whether its dried up or not, just remove tyre and give it a good ol shake. If you can't hear sealant shuffling about then time to add some more: check tyre for thorns... if there's loads stuck in there then you know thats where its leaked from...

So dismantle and remove thorns, add some patches, and rebueless the whole thing (hopefully the tyre hasn't warped/balooned too much... if it has then back to square one and add some more rim tape thingyjig)...

If there's no thorns then I'd happily just add it through the valve hole. Make sure you throw some lube in there after to try and keep hole clean.

I've been probably just ovee a year of riding without everything drying up. Even through some really hot summers and cold winters, its stayed wet (AFAIR)... it was Stans