Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jamesh

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Jamesh »

At last a cheery friday! As have finally finished all aspects of harvest 2019, my wheat crop hit the specification for localish mill so a few more pennies, all sheds are full of straw and luckily nothing decided to just stop working at the most annoying moment.
Basically the weather can now do what it likes and I can get some time away for some overnighters!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:20 pm Dennis the dog and myself set off on our usual amble and discovered a previously unknown track. Must drop around 200 metres over the course of a km and I'm now trying hard to insert it into this years BB200.
Aye. As a climb I'll bet.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye. As a climb I'll bet.
Cynical sod. No, I've made a point of making it a descent - honest. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Slightly surreal evening spent at a bar in our village. Friday nights usually feature local bands of variable quality but tonight's offering was a David Bowie covers band whose repertoire also included Ramones, Talking Heads and Blondie but their piece de resistance was the Joy Division classic Shadowplay which was excellent. Rather sobering to think it was 41 years ago that I saw Bowie live at Bingley hall Stafford on his Heroes tour.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Sounds like a good night out, I love Bowie (my wife has turned our house into a shrine :roll: ) , ramones, recently saw David Byrne live, best stage show I’ve seen in years.
As a bass player I’ve always known about hooky but saw peter hook and the light at a small festival in Devon, they had two bassist, ‘normal’ bass and hooky on lead bass, for blue Monday the other guy switched to baritone guitar while hooky did his thing. Very good, the best set of the weekend, high praise considering Jean-Jacques Burnel was chunking it out on the Friday. :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
psling

Post by psling »

Mmm... Friday the 13th :shock:

It's a full moon (a Harvest Moon even) and North is aligned, what more excuse do we need to get our maps and compasses out and head for the hills :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Yay, it’s Friday, it’s a glorious day, I’m 20 miles into a 60 mile multi day hike and i’m remembering why I cycle everywhere. :grin:
Mart

Post by Mart »

pistonbroke wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:24 pm Slightly surreal evening spent at a bar in our village. Friday nights usually feature local bands of variable quality but tonight's offering was a David Bowie covers band whose repertoire also included Ramones, Talking Heads and Blondie but their piece de resistance was the Joy Division classic Shadowplay which was excellent. Rather sobering to think it was 41 years ago that I saw Bowie live at Bingley hall Stafford on his Heroes tour.
When Bowie died, I made a point of playing all his stuff in the car when I dropped the kids off at school (to enhance their education)
When I said to them 'Bet you don't know this one' the replies were always 'Dad, but this ones in Shrek' (the movie)
For a kids film it had a pretty good soundtrack :cool:
2924 miles per Gallon
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Cheery Friday is go !

Short loop on my gravel bike out in the Peak after dropping child at school. Followed by a nice brew at one of my fave cafes in Eyam Suppose at some point I better do some work.
Powered by crumpets.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tis Friday and I'm just packing my stuff ready to attend the UK Packraft meet-up at Llyn Tegid. Has anyone else heard of it? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've heard of it - it's that big lake near Bala.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

September BAM in progress. Trying a bivvy bag. No tarp. Hoping to see all these stars people keep talking about
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lucky you Frog - last night of the long run of good weather! With unerring timing as usual I've picked tomorrow night with thunder and lightning pre-booked :-SS .

Still cheery today though cos just booked Toy Dolls at Kentish Town 18th April. Thrashtastic! I'm not as professional as Barter though - he goes all the way to NL to see 'em!

Hope you inflatable mob are having a nice time over in Bala, sounds dead good! And I'm stuck here :sad: . Ho hum.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

slarge

Post by slarge »

I'm happy cos Scott's still coming over.... :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I bought a copy of Classic Ford magazine today, not my usual reading matter but the Mexico from my August BAM is in it. I'm famous now... well the top of my head anyway, good job I had my hair done for the occasion :lol:

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mart

Post by Mart »

Just discovered a picture of our dog that Mrs B took on Nairn beach made it into 'The Scots magazine' readers photos of Scotland. Typically that months issue was never delivered but a relative spotted it :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Karl

Post by Karl »

Really proud of my wife being on QI this week as an expert for her Vomiting Larry projectile vomiting system - yes that's correct :YMSICK: If you'd like to watch Dr Cat she is here on iplayer :-bd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... asy-quacks
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

:-bd :-bd , your hairs looking very slick there too Karl :wink:
Just showed the boy he's well impressed that he sat on that hillside with a Dr who gets paid to make vomiting models :lol:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Got pulled over by the fuzz yesterday evening for speeding on a dual carriageway (marked car of all things, but all I saw was a set of headlights in my mirrors catch up with me...lesson learnt).

Anyway, I should really have gone court, but they used discretion and as it was only "excessive speed", they put it down as 86mph so I should be offered a speed awareness course.

That's about as good an outcome as one could hope for. Image
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bottle of "Reverend James" whilst watching "Under Milk Wood" (1971). A play for voices indeed, but how could one quibble with the masters, Burton (*) and Davies, to guide us along in film. Huge pleasure in losing oneself amongst the rhythmic and powerful language, moods, imagery, dramas of the everyday and commonplace, locations, and general lunacy. Saw one review that criticised the film version for "bizarre imagery" - as if the play was anything else! - and "concocted material that does not appear in Thomas' play - the overt sexual scene and the coachload of tourists". Of course both ARE in the play, and one could argue that the whole thing is one overt sexual (and religious and deathly) scene in all its mad glory.

It is Spring in Llaregyb in the sun in my old age, and this is the Chosen Land.

I reckon there's a BBB member to match every character :wink: .

(*) "The Welsh are all actors. It's only the bad ones who become professional" :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Oops - having to break off to watch "Scenic Railway Journeys of the World - Cambrian Coast" on telly!

(9pm edit: not bad that; bit lightweight to start with; obviously some stunning landscapes, nice little human-interest stories etc, although poor Bill Nighy would probably benefit from Dee's Welsh Pronunciations thread. Good job he didn't get off at Dyffryn Ardudwy or Penrhyndeudraeth :wink: . No need to go anywhere else on the planet in Reg's humble view. "Chosen Land" indeed.)
Last edited by RIP on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Thanks for mentioning the railway program Reg i have known and loved that line since I was a little boy ,
we had relatives that used to run the post office in Aberdovey so spent a lot of time holidaying there with mum and dad .
Certainly made it a cheery Friday .

Under milk wood has seen me through a few nights bivying in the middle of nowhere this year .
RIP

Post by RIP »

We'll have to do a little caper up there next year Kev - mebbe's Our Stu'll send us over that way again in January :smile: . I too have many happy memories of hopping on and off at random with a bike.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I watched the railway programm as well, nice to see places I've ridden :grin:

I assume all the shots of the scenery were cgi as it didn't appear to be raining at any point? :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger