Which extra would keep me warmer?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Which extra would keep me warmer?

Post by restlessshawn »

In a bothy in a sleeping bag if I am cold

use a bivvy bag aswell (already have)

use a blanket over the top (heavier, bulkier and don't have)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snugpak-Jung ... Swk35brh3j

Exped synmat 7 underneath

Fire unlikely due to no fuel and don't want to get cold
whitestone

Re: Which extra would keep me warmer?

Post by whitestone »

Some cheese, well any fatty food, eaten about 30-60mins before you go to bed.

I'd always be taking some form of insulating mat to a bothy. The only one I've visited that's had any form of "bedding" was An Cladach on Islay where all the bunks had thermarests :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

whitestone wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:12 am Some cheese, well any fatty food, eaten about 30-60mins before you go to bed.

I'd always be taking some form of insulating mat to a bothy. The only one I've visited that's had any form of "bedding" was An Cladach on Islay where all the bunks had thermarests :shock:

Looking for something more foolproof than a nice supper as I won't be able to bail out or get anything much for a few days

Exped synmat, I'm too old not to have a nice mattress nowdays

When I stayed in Will's bothy there was a massive sofa I slept on though I believe it's gone now it's MBA
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

In theory the blanket would be warmer as it provides more insulation.
What about laying a down jacket, fleece or jumper on top of you inside the bag. This works well and you’ll probably be carrying something like that already.
A bivi will add some warmth but adds the possibility of condensation or even compressing your bag and effectively reducing its insulation.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The blanket is likely to keep you warmer Shawn. A bivvy is great outside because it keeps the wind off but it offers little thermal advantage otherwise. A blanket can also keep you warm while eating, reading, whatever and help stop you from getting cold before climbing into your bag.

I had reasonable success with the Thermatex blanket but it is difficult to quantify so success is more about feel than scientific conclusion https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:12 am Some cheese, well any fatty food, eaten about 30-60mins before you go to bed.

Not sure they'll still be there soon Bob... Now that you've mentioned :smile:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:37 am The blanket is likely to keep you warmer Shawn. A bivvy is great outside because it keeps the wind off but it offers little thermal advantage otherwise. A blanket can also keep you warm while eating, reading, whatever and help stop you from getting cold before climbing into your bag.

I had reasonable success with the Thermatex blanket but it is difficult to quantify so success is more about feel than scientific conclusion https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html
That's getting spendy :shock:

Sleeping bag liner is another option I suppose

I may just be panicking as I am taking a bag with a comfort rating below zero, a primaloft jacket, sleeping in a bothy and it's only beginning of October on a Scottish island
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Are you sleeping in a bothy without a mat? That must be uncomfortable no? And cold depending on what you're sleeping on

I'd go with mat first (for comfort), then blanket for warmth
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Exped synmat 7 underneath
!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I may just be panicking
I'd say so :wink: As Luke says, don't wear your jacket in bed but pull it over you inside your sleeping bag, it'll do much more good that way.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You're panicking.

A Synmat HL7 and 0c rated sleeping bag, along with some clothing, should be more than ample at that time of year, especially if indoors. It certainly is for me and it's usually milder weather on the islands than in the Highlands.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:52 am You're panicking.
Thanks, I think I just needed a slap
RIP

Post by RIP »

Shades of the 'slap the poor old lady' scene in "Airplane!" :wink:

If you wanted a really ultralight, and very cheap, solution for handling the cold you could do worse than taking a few BBB 'Stop Being Soft' stickers to look at while you're shivering. Works every time for me :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

On the bivy bag front. I use mine in bothies with the theory that the air inside heats up a little bit and offers some extra warmth. Is that not the case?Not saying it is better than a blanket but surely better than nothing.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A lightweight bivvy bag certainly helps if I'm using a quilt. Just to stop it from sliding about really.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not saying it is better than a blanket but surely better than nothing.
Certainly better than nothing Dave. Trouble is, the bivvy has a hard time retaining the warm air but as you say, better than nowt.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thermal long johns, thermal long sleeve top, thermal socks are inexpensive and don't take up too much room and you can change into them if you arrive wet. After that I'd add my fleece liner if it's going to be really cold but then things are starting to get bulky.
composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:47 am
I may just be panicking
I'd say so :wink: As Luke says, don't wear your jacket in bed but pull it over you inside your sleeping bag, it'll do much more good that way.
I tried this a couple of times after you and chew suggesting it but it never worked out for me. Whenever I tried it I woke up cold in the night, pulled my down jacket back on and slept through the rest of the night nice and warm. :|
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

what about the sol escape bivvy -£30 ish and claims to reflect 75% of body heat

the more expensive light one - has a zip - is a higher rating - they claim its good enough on its own to 10 C
I have never used on mind but the lighter one is 155 g or thereabouts and tempted

Currently i always take thermals - keeps bag clean , gives me something dry at night cheaper than the bivvy probably heavier.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I tried this a couple of times after you and chew suggesting it but it never worked out for me. Whenever I tried it I woke up cold in the night, pulled my down jacket back on and slept through the rest of the night nice and warm.
You were unzipping it and putting it inside your sleeping bag Neil?
what about the sol escape bivvy -£30 ish and claims to reflect 75% of body heat
Trouble with 'reflects lots of body heat' is, there should be very little to actually reflect if your sleeping bag is doing its job.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:13 pm what about the sol escape bivvy -£30 ish and claims to reflect 75% of body heat

the more expensive light one - has a zip - is a higher rating - they claim its good enough on its own to 10 C
I have never used on mind but the lighter one is 155 g or thereabouts and tempted
I've one - Not used it much, total of 6 nights, usually on races where I'm just wanting a power nap and I'll take it and a light jacket and nothing else.

If you were going to use it then it'd be better as a liner than as a bivy bag.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you were going to use it then it'd be better as a liner than as a bivy bag.
It would indeed Bob.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

why ?

Though I am unlikely to ever bivvy
I suppose i wanted the double win for my tent of not needing an inner [ so some weight saving] and being warmer - Using it as a liner means still needing something else

I have seen posts/vids where folk use the blanket to make the bivvy bigger, to take a pad inside, and that was what i was tempted to do/try- as i said mainly for warmth and extending my summer bag range rather than an actual bivvy -had some poor nights in a tent without just lying in a bag in a ditch :wink:
YMMV
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

See Stu's earlier reply. The SOL reflects radiated heat, if you have it outside the sleeping bag there isn't any (or at least very little). Putting it inside the sleeping bag means it can reflect the radiated heat while the sleeping bag deals with the conductive heat (which is the larger loss from your body).

The SOL will act as a wind break whether it's inside or outside your sleeping bag.

The best way to extend your summer bag range would be to either get an insulated liner if your bag is big enough for you and the liner or something for a wrapper - I use a quilt to boost my 5C rated summer bag to -6C
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:47 am As Luke says, don't wear your jacket in bed but pull it over you inside your sleeping bag, it'll do much more good that way.

This has kept me so toasty over some of my colder jaunts out!