Pack rafting Sept 20/21/22 in North Wales - 5 ranges of pack rafts to test for free

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Re: Pack rafting Sept 20/21/22 in North Wales - 5 ranges of pack rafts to test for free

Post by composite »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:44 pm
composite wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:36 pm This looks like a cracking weekend and it's my birthday on Saturday too! Just wish I had seen it before I signed up to another audax. Shame as I reckon the Mrs would have been up for coming along too, she likes a paddle and as it's my birthday she could hardly say no! Anyway, hope you all enjoy it.
Can't you miss the audax this once?
I had already paid but honestly, it's a negligible amount really so not to worried about that. It would put me back to zero for the monthly award that I'm going for but again I will almost certainly need to do one in every month of next season to hit others awards so I could miss that.

Unfortunately, it turns out that due to work commitments the Mrs wouldn't be able to get away for the whole weekend. :-( Whilst this doesn't stop me coming on my own, it puts a bit of a dampener on it as it was the thought of a birthday weekend away together doing something different to normal that was part of the draw. :|

Sorry if I have missed this elsewhere in the thread but when is the latest that you need to know?
JohnClimber

Re: Pack rafting Sept 20/21/22 in North Wales - 5 ranges of pack rafts to test for free

Post by JohnClimber »

We need to know ASAP for buying stock for the beer and bread making talks and demo's, but I'm sure you could watch but not sample.
As to when I need to know by...
I don't the campsite will never over fill so just to k up on the Saturday morning if you like and if you can make it
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

On the remote off chance...is anyone coming from near Devon on the Friday or Saturday am and could give my wife a lift up.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:30 pm On the remote off chance...is anyone coming from near Devon on the Friday or Saturday am and could give my wife a lift up.
I'll ask on the group FB page for you Dave
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

After 2 cancellations it's first come first served for the following 2 sessions run by Tirio.
These sessions all sold out within 24 hours when launched so these won't stay around for long.

Saturday morning
#Openwaterwizard. 1 x half day Open Water Workshop. One in Morning and Afternoon. – 6 persons per workshop. Contents: Outfitting advice, kit, the effects of weather and land shape on open water, hazards, tactics, individual and group rescues, sailing, bio-security. Great foundation day to get you journeying on those lakes and lochs. £20pp including kit hire. Delivered by Jason.

Sunday morning
#PacknPaddle. 1 x Paddle and Hike. – 10 persons. We’ll plan and go on a day paddle and hike at one of the many locations nearby. Whilst this will focus on the journey, Jason and Simon will discuss a variety of topics along the way. Such as navigation tips to nutrition, foraging to equipment hacks, transition tips and ultra-light travel tactics. £25 pp including kit hire if required. Delivered by Jason and Simon.

Please contact Jason Taylor directly on

Email: Enquiries@tirio.co.uk

1 Trem y Wyddfa, Nebo, LLANRWST, Conwy, LL260SY

Tel: 07450 245561

Web: Tirio.co.uk
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

John, for the bread and beer is it just bring the dough ( :roll: ) to pay on the day or does it need to be paid upfront? Cath and I would like to attend both sessions.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

whitestone wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:56 am John, for the bread and beer is it just bring the dough ( :roll: ) to pay on the day or does it need to be paid upfront? Cath and I would like to attend both sessions.
Book it with me now (which you've done) and pay on arrival to the site.

See you soon

For this who what to see where Pack Rafts and bikes can take you take a look at this mini film from New Zealand

https://vimeo.com/348617310
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the coach trip to NZ on the Sat or Sun John?
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I was planning to bring a mate to this, who now can’t attend. I’ll therefore have a car space on a convoluted tour.

Leaving Atherstone on Friday at 4, heading to the meet, then driving back on Sunday morning to Edinburgh. If anyone needs a lift on either leg, let me know.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 am Is the coach trip to NZ on the Sat or Sun John?
That the weekend after mate, sorry ;-)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

1 more week to go.

Some reminders from the meet up web page as below

------------------

Yours and my checklist
Please note even if the forecast is good you WILL get wet, a good waterproof top and waterproof over trouser should be warn, water proof boots and socks are also a good idea ( wellies will do or saddles for the brave... But no white wooly sock please..... there are some standard that we can't let slip ;-) )) as you will need to wade in and out of the water. Plus the paddles do splash you with water.

So bring more clothes than you need and a good towel or two.

Something to sleep in, on or under. From hammocks (trees nearby), bivi bag, tents, campervan or caravan. All are welcome

All the food and drink that you will need for the duration of your visit.

£3.50 cash each for lake permit, £5 cash each for the soughdough bread demo and for the beer talk the fiver covers your samples. No places left now, sorry.

A comfy folding chair for the evening and for chilling out

Well behaved dogs on leads welcome

If you have a spare extension lead please can you bring it as we may need a few for Saturday night

If you have one bring your pack raft, PFD, paddle etc

If you are booked on the bike and paddle on Saturday afternoon don't forget your bike (folding bike for me) and a rucksack

The camp site takes card payments, but the manufacturers over the weekend don't and the Saturday afternoon taster session will need to be booked and paid for with Jason of Tirio. Cash only.

-----------------

https://thejohnclimber.wordpress.com/20 ... g-meet-up/
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Looking forward to this, I may have to pull out of the little trip if my lad is not confident, he’s done a bit of canoeing etc we’ll just have to play it by ear. To be honest it’s been a long time since I paddled a boat, spent many years wind surfing and worked on a fishing boat but I have a feeling they are not transferable skills X_X
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you still want some wood bringing John?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Yes Please Stuart.

The more the better, someone is bringing a washing machine fire pit and they will look after it for us all
JohnClimber

Re: Pack rafting Sept 20/21/22 in North Wales

Post by JohnClimber »

Woody wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:12 pm Sounds great, count me in. I own a packraft, I just need to get out and use it a bit more. :-bd
Just a reminder, you still up for this Woody?
JohnClimber

Re: Pack rafting Sept 20/21/22 in North Wales

Post by JohnClimber »

Dezmtber wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 pm this sounds like a lot of fun.
though I have little experience in a pack raft, most I have done in a kayak is paddle up and down windermere then. a little journey from iron bridge through jack fields.

but I really want to do a pack raft journey with my fat bike. up cadar idris then down to the mawddach on the pack raft.

feel like I should com and try out some of the rafts
Just a reminder, you still up for this Dezmtber?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I thought I'd better get the Kokopelli Recon on some moving water before next weekend's Pack Raft meet up in Wales, so at least I can let anyone trying it out on the water know a little more about it.
(if you want to paddle it, bring waterproof over trousers :wink: )

Here's my mini movie from my overnight trip on the River Ribble south of Clitheroe down to Ribchester.

https://youtu.be/BdrDu2o2y20

No rain in the forecast and this on Saturday

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

For those heading to the UK pack rafting meet up this weekend please note the following

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.

Can everyone who is going to paddle on any water at any time over the weekend please be in the main area at the big shelter at 9.15am for an area water safety briefing given by Jason Taylor

Jason is the best person with all the local knowledge that is required, please don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions.

Remember there is no such thing as a silly question. Its now to a lot of us, simply ask away or see Jason on the quiet if needed, there is never any problems asking what you don't know.
After this briefing on morning sessions (including me) need to stay behind and meet your coaches for the morning sessions.

Saturday afternoon sessions meet up at 13.30 after you grab some lunch
The Bike and Pack raft sessions meet up with Andy Toop and myself at 13.15 at his Alpaca display tent.

The Sunday morning sessions meet up in the big shelter for these sessions at 9.30am

Web site now fully up to date with everything you need to know

https://thejohnclimber.wordpress.com/20 ... g-meet-up/
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

You'll be glad to hear that this will (may) be my last post on here........

Tomorrow night I'll be packing the van and Friday I'll be travelling to Bala for this weekends meet up.

But if one of you wants to join us and to try a very basic bike pack rafting trip one space has just become available.
I won't offer it on line just to bear boners. we could even squeeze in a mate too if you don't fancy coming along on your own.

All you need is a bike a back pack (for ease and less faffing) and a sense of adventure to see where a pack raft can take you on your future trips. We'll supply you the correct pack raft for the job.

Please message me so I get the email 1pm meet up in Saturday for a short ride, paddle and a short ride back.

PLACE NOW TAKEN, SORRY
Last edited by JohnClimber on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You forgot to mention a towel :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've just finished my slides for my talk. Please can at least one of you turn up as they took me ages.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

The wife, I and the dog will be there for you mate
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:57 pm I've just finished my slides for my talk. Please can at least one of you turn up as they took me ages.
I’ll be there too, shouting ‘fish pizza’ every so often.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Please can at least one of you turn up as they took me ages.
I'll be there. Really looking forward to hearing first hand about 'one man's struggle against his beard'. :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thanks to John and everyone else who had a hand in the weekend. Good company, lovely weather and proof that when you put community before commercial interest, nice things can happen.