Lakeland 200 - luggage options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Lakeland 200 - luggage options

Post by lune ranger »

I’m in early planning for an ITT attempt on the Lake District 200 in the spring (group start anyone? More on that later).
My aim as it stands will be to shoot for a continuous ride, no planned bivi, of 24 hrs or so. Ideally sub 24hrs if able.
Planning is part of the fun for me so I’m already thinking things over.
How to carry kit is top of my musings just now.
I will be riding my Krampus.
My 24hr ITT including food/water and emergency bivi gear is approx 5kg.
I want to keep my front triangle free so I can shoulder the bike easily. So will at least be carrying my water on my back.
My main question is this: Would you put all the gear in a rucksack or add as much to bike bags as possible.
I usually go for as much on the bike as possible but I reckon this time there may be an advantage of having an easier to carry bike. Bearing in mind my Rohloff equipped Krampus is already 16kg without gear!
I guess i’m A little worried that too much on my back will be hard to handle after 24hrs riding.
I’d be keen to hear some opinions especially from anyone who has done the ride or something equivalent.
Cheers
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Re: Lakeland 200 - luggage options

Post by whitestone »

I'm assuming the Krampus is either your only bike or your preferred bike. 16kgs is a lot.

Like you I normally try to get everything on the bike but the Lakeland 200 is pretty rough. With that in mind I'd be tempted to use a small Camelbak type sack for water, tools/spares and waterproof jacket. Then have bivy kit and food only on the bike. If your bivy kit was compact and light enough it could also go in the pack.

I've walked, run or biked most of the route, certainly the upland sections, and there's probably only Black Sail Pass and Scarth Gap where I think you would have to carry the bike for any distance. There's one or two short bits where you might have to manoeuvre it over boulders but other rough bits are pushable.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

It’s my preferred option.
It’s been to the summit of Helvellyn and High Street with an additional 10kg attached to it in the past.
I know it’s heavy and may well invest in a lighter weight wheel/tyre set and save approx 1kg.
I’ve ridden last years BB200 on it in sub 23hrs, in fact I rode a good chunk of road with you Bob as the sun went down. Admittedly you then rode away from me when it headed out of the valley.
My only other option is a Fargo which weighs 14kg and is less capable/comfy for that kind of terrain.
WSC
Javi

Post by Javi »

I did it recently and decided to use a running vest for first time and I was very happy about it, bike handling was much better and the vest didn't bounce an inch. I carried 1 litre bottle in the triangle, 2x500ml soft bottles + food, tools etc in the vest and some minimaliat sleeping kit on the saddle bag. Nuts on the top tube bag.
And I agree 16kg bikw is very heavy. Route is brilliant!

Edit to say I didn't do the whole route recently
Last edited by Javi on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

There's also the long push/carry up to 'The Knott' & High Street..

I'd try to travel as light as poss & maybe take a rucksack that could give you the option of putting some of the bike-luggage in for some of the carrying sections..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

If I remember it right there is one big carry and one long push. I did it with a bar bag, a v small frame pack and an osprey escapist pack, so I could use a dropper. Worked pretty well, and in fact I used the same setup for the HT550. But I'm not as averse to a back pack as many,(I actually prefer it if there is going to be either a lot of hike-a-bike or technical trails).
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

oh, and I wouldn't do it on the fargo if that was the alternative to the krampus :shock:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I would take a rucksack - I did when I did it earlier this year on my full-sus. Carrying up Black Sail, Scarth Gap and the Knott are givens. Plenty of other short steep bits too.

Personally, I think you'd be mad to ride it on a rigid bike, and a heavy one at that, but there are people more mad/less soft than me that would disagree, and that has to be a good thing :grin:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 pm Personally, I think you'd be mad to ride it on a rigid bike, and a heavy one at that, but there are people more mad/less soft than me that would disagree, and that has to be a good thing :grin:
The Krampus is very suitable for Lakes riding.
It is surprising comfy and fast over rough terrain.
Riding in the Lakes last year I was outriding my buddy on the long DH’s. He was on a full suss and traditionally kicks my butt.
It’s mighty heavy but i’m not so bothered about that.
I may be able to loose 1kg from the wheels/tyres but that’d involve about £350 and I’m not sure it’s worth it. I’m not sure carbon rims are the right gear for a Krampus either :wink:
WSC