BASQUE BIKEPACKING: VUELTA DE VASCO

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

biggaygibbon

BASQUE BIKEPACKING: VUELTA DE VASCO

Post by biggaygibbon »

I want to head out to do this route at the end of September. Going to get the ferry from Plymouth to Santander. Has anyone ridden the Camino del Norte as this looks a good way to get to the start of the Vasco loop. If there are any other suggestions for linking it up and/or making as longer loop incorporating the ferry port at Santander please let me know.

Cheers
middleagedmadness

Re: BASQUE BIKEPACKING: VUELTA DE VASCO

Post by middleagedmadness »

You could just get the ferry straight to Bilbao,unless you want the extra time on your bike from Santander ,if I remember right it runs from Portsmouth ,last time I used it it was about a 30hr crossing
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Plenty of options on wikiloc, this one takes you to Bilbao via a couple of short ferries
https://www.wikiloc.com/mountain-biking ... r-14793768
I've heard that the Camino is hard work in this area, overgrown sections and steps up and down cliffs.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

I live in N Devon so want to go from Plymouth as just a short train to the ferry port and away. Hence starting in Santander.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Are you looking to ride to Vitoria to start or just pick it up in Bilbao? If you're riding SW out of Bilbao, there's a traffic free route along a Via Verde to Sodupe. We use it on the Tarragona-Bilbao trip I organise and it's the best way into Bilbao. Don't know if you know Bilbao but the ride along the riverside from Portugalete to the Guggenheim is fab, just make sure you follow the 1 way system as you'll get an ear bending from the police even on a bike.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

I was going to pick up the route in Bilbao (just using the gpx from the bikepacking website). It is joining it up to Santander that is the trick. I don't mind plotting a route and winging it but if there is an established loop and trails that would be less risky.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The wikiloc route I posted takes you virtually to the Bikepacking route in Bilbao. I'd be inclined to stay on the west side of the river not taking the transporter bridge at Portugalete, it's a nice quiet cycleway. As I said, if you've not seen it, a visit to the Guggenhiem is a must, strange the Bikepacker route bypasses it.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Thanks. That wikiloc route looks like the Camino del Norte route