Straight Outta Door - Ride from home Trips.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Straight Outta Door - Ride from home Trips.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure we all love seeing pictures and hearing stories of distant lands and exotic or at least foreign locations but I thought seeing as we as a species, seem hell-bent on destroying ourselves, it might be nice to start a thread for those trips undertaken from your very own doorstep - no planes, trains or cars. Simply open the door and start riding.

I appreciate that some will live in a location that makes such a thing far easier. However, I'm also hoping that it may encourage those less fortunate to be a liitle bit creative. It's surprising what's out there and often the things on our doorstep are the things we know less about.

I'm generally considered to be far from Hippydipshit but ... "Save one life and you save the world entire" Feel free to join in. No guidelines except .......

May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Re: Straight Outta Door - Ride from home Trips.

Post by ScotRoutes »

That'll be 90-95% of my rides :lol:

Good idea though, I usually take for granted what's in my immediate area and I spent a lot of time passing lovely bivvy spots that were simply too close or too familiar as I pass them so often. I've made a point of actually using them this past couple of years (interspersed with others). That should help provide some inspiration for those visiting the area.

It's always amazing seeing how other folk react when they've been here too, looking at their photos and reading their posts. Makes me feel that I should be more grateful for where I am.

It also fascinates me the places that some of our less rural forum members find to camp out, so I'm looking forward to seeing some of their day rides too.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Also 90% of my rides ,think the only time I've driven to a ride in the last 18 months was when me and the boy came down to yours ,train has been the last 2 wrt and that few days on the big bear ,trip down to Mach in September will be from the door and back ,think I'm doing pretty well in my little effort ,also haven't used anything but the bike to get to work in the past couple of years
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good thread. Generally from home, or train which I consider an extension of my front door :wink: . Last night's BaM only a mile each way and loads of fun. Can hardly begrudge folks a few epics but I'm afraid LNT must include at least an attempt at LNT getting to the ride start point! The more people drive around the more roads are built to cover land that could be used to bivvy on :smile: . Not interested in moving around above ground level either (unless part of falling off my bike or getting a bit of air on it). Good old packrafts are a pretty good LNT form of transport :grin: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I quite like doing local bivvys when I don't have the time to get further afield and there are plenty of spots to choose from within a short distance of my home. Sometimes it's nice to be able to load up with real food (instead of the dehydrated goop that's my usual sustenance) and when you're not riding too far there's no reason not to. I also have a bothy within riding distance of home which I plan to visit this autumn (I've been there plenty of times before but it's always involved driving to walk or canoe in).
These photos were taken a few years ago when I headed out for an overnighter straight from home. The venue was the Three Lochs Way which I often ride as a gravel route (indeed I rode it yesterday on my #gradventourer). Apologies for the photo quality, they were taken on my old phone in low light conditions (and no, it's not an open fire, it's a Honey Stove! :wink: )
ImageIMG_20161008_095117 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20161008_073642 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20161008_094353 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20161008_101403 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
psling

Post by psling »

Great idea :-bd

I used to do what I would call "ride past work" rides. I would set out at the usual time to commute to work but carry straight on past the gates and then head off in various directions - a surprising mental lift at the point of passing the gates :cool:

These days due to recent 'lifestyle choices' I'm not sure if "ride from home" applies or not anymore... home is a motorhome so I will always be riding from home but equally a motor vehicle is always involved at the start :???: :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ha! We've a bridleway running right next to the house. Unfortunately it doesn't really go anywhere except link up with the two small roads on the other side of the valley.

It's pretty random really as to whether you have good access to a network of bridleways, good as in very little road riding to get to them. Some quite urban areas are better served than rural ones. Two miles in one direction will get us on to the Leeds-Liverpool canal which provides traffic free riding to the edge of the Dales; two miles in the opposite direction gets us on to the Pennine Bridleway and all routes south (going north on the PBW is not nice until you get to Long Preston)

Our ride last weekend was from the door, at least as far as the train station in Skipton but we did ride all the way home. At least two of our Bivy-a-Month in the last year have been from the door.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Love this idea Peter: "commute to work but carry straight on past the gates" :lol:

"home is a motorhome so I will always be riding from home " - cunning :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

psling

Post by psling »

You could claim to have done a ride from my door when I did have a roof over my head Reg (if we overlook your train journey there!) - the old cottage was certainly in a good spot to ride out the door :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete mentioned you'd "gone motorhome" - interested to hear all about it in Sept...

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye there is nowt like loading up and going, no planes, trains and autos involved. I'm lucky in that I've got a network of C and D roads on my doorstep leading to many great trails (and bivvy spots :grin: )
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

My very old blog had a section called Doortstep @dventures, basically the same idea of rides that's started from my front door :-bd

It's amazing what can be found on your doorstep with a mixture of getting lost, OS mapping and google maps :-bd Also saves on a sub standard load of time too...
composite

Post by composite »

This is one of the reasons I have been riding so much road since I started riding again. I can go out the door in 3 different directions and be into the lanes pretty quickly, going to nice places. If I want off road its pretty much the same 45mins of 2inch tyres on tarmac everytime, to then do the same sections of off road that I have ridden for years. Whilst not bad riding the lack of variety does start to get a bit boring.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Almost all my rides are from home as I’m slap-bang in the middle of the Surrey Hills and North Downs with a huge network of MTB trails and bridleways which can be knitted together into an endless variety of rides.

However, to date I’ve never started a ride of more than two days from the front door. When I have more time my mind inevitably wanders to Scotland, Wales or further afield.

That said, since bunny hopping onto the gravel bandwagon I’ve been doing more long rides from home, mixing up road and off- road. And I like it!

Recent rides have included Dorking to Eastbourne and down the Ridgeway to Avebury and Amesbury, both via big on/off-road loops.

I’ll be doing more of this stuff, I’m sure.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve ridden to lands end from my front door, wild camping along the way, also Avebury.
I live in a fairly uninspiring place for off road rides, my local bivvy rides usually involve a spin up the local cut, there is probably some interesting rides and bivvy spots out towards the Cotswolds but it’s a long ride from home, same with the chilterns.
I’ve done a few nice bivvy’s from work, Kent when I was that side of London and Waylands smithy recently. Sadly to find interesting rides it’s either an epic or drive.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:39 pm I’ve ridden to lands end from my front door, wild camping along the way
Snap! I’ve done it from south Devon to back home
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:58 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:39 pm I’ve ridden to lands end from my front door, wild camping along the way
Snap! I’ve done it from south Devon to back home
You’v got me there, after 1200miles on the big dummy I got a transit van home :-bd

Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Last summer we did and out and back to Pembrokeshire.

https://minipips.blogspot.com/2018/07/h ... home.html?
faustus

Post by faustus »

95% of my riding is from the door, if not bivvy trips (though they have accounted for 2/3rds of this year's 3 bivvy trips!). My local off-roading is very good, if not at all technical, but I try and make the best of what I have here. I'm lucky to have riding options in all directions and using the gravel bike opens up riding further afield or joining up smaller sections of track with back roads. Mixed terrain routes have been my staple riding diet this year, and i've really enjoyed it. I've done two bivvies from the door this year; one to Savernake forest then the new forest, and the other a quick one up to the Wayfarer's way.

Another great blog post richpips, I also like the idea of riding to the sea and back and may try and fit one in before the winter bites. I'm also a fan of the Cwtch cafe in Pont-ryhd-y-groes, i had the same home made pizza on my last trip to Wales in august! :-bd I'm hoping I can get a decent amount of riding done with my boy when the time comes, it seems like special times to savour. My son is only 20 months old, but he loves rides on his yepp mini, and 'bike' was one of the first 100 words in his now rapidly expanding vocabulary, so let's hope that's a good sign! :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This thread reminds me of a linear trip I did almost exactly 6 years ago from my house to, err, my house. :cool:

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/10 ... -home.html
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I did what is now my regular ride from home. Problem with moving to Brixham is a severe lack of mtb action nearby. There are some lanes and a bit of cheeky coast path stuff but I'm not a naughty boy. I love riding on Dartmoor but hate driving so the only option is to ride there. Win.

Today I got up early and saddled the Burls which has been treated to a new groupset. Lanes took me to Totnes and then I had a brief bit of cycle path along the river Dart before more lanes and a f^ck ton of hills towards Plymouth. I do this section a lot, it follows the NCN and is very quiet, apart from the cyclepath along the A30. More cycle paths through Plymouth then its an old railway track all the way to Yelverton.

At Yelverton I consumed a most welcome full english in the non-poncey cafe. When cycling I like those sausages (Walls?) that are basically pure fat and DO NOT want my beans in a cup. Fried bread is an added bonus as is the smell of old ladies coming in for their Sunday lunch.

A few more lanes and climbs led to Burrator Reservoir and another old railway track all the way to Princetown. Time for a bit of type 2. A bridleway leads to the Conchi Road, full marks to one who can guess why it is so named without google. The Conchi Road starts well and then goes to sh1te with some proper bog hopping and a finale of a rock garden in gorse bushes.

After that I've had enough of being battered so follow tiny roads to Ashburton. I queue up in McColls with my coke, everyone in front of me buying an afternoon's worth of booze and fags. I take my time over the coke as what comes next is the most brutal of hills. Chuley Hill is horribly steep and long. But I make it as I'm feeling a bit superman today.

The ride back home from here is basically a non-stop hillfest but who cares as very few cars. Apart from the idiots on my brief dabble with the A385. Two dickheads overtake as I signal right. I stop signalling right and do other signals instead.

I've cracked it as I freewheel back into Brixham to be greeted by deep blue sea. What a great way to spend a Sunday and almost zero emissions (it was the beans).
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Hi Dave have you discovered the Cremyll ferry at Plymouth? It’s a fishing boat, hop on with the bike and lands you in Cornwall, great fun :-bd

RIP

Post by RIP »

Just been watching 'World On Fire' with Mrs Perrin and am familar with the term Conchis, assuming they are one and same. Did they either build the road, or use it to get to the prison? Unless a type of crustacean :wink: .

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:06 pm Just been watching 'World On Fire' with Mrs Perrin and am familar with the term Conchis, assuming they are one and same. Did they either build the road, or use it to get to the prison? Unless a type of crustacean :wink: .

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15363&p=194241#p194241

RIP

Post by RIP »

Conchies are a type of frog?! Are you sure Steve? Nah, conscientious objectors is my vote. Similar to when MaM's conscience causes him to object to yet another of my dodgy bivi spots :smile: .