Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sun's out, so how bad can it be? I've also just fitted a new blade to my bandsaw so even betterer :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And even better still ... I've just finished this off. I appreciate most of you will glance at the first picture and move on and that'sn no problem at all. Those with a bit more interest may like to read the next bit. I know it's 30 seconds of your life you'll never get back but you might like it.

While wobdering round the local farm supply shop I spotted some Ash handles (could be Fork Handles for those of a certain age :wink: ). I tend to look at bits of wood quite differently these days, so I bought one thinking who knows, there might be a bow in it. I also bought a horn dog chew and some leather boot laces to finish the job off should my suspicions be correct.

At only 54" long, getting a bow out of it was always going to be something of a delicate task as you're asking a little wood to do a lot of work. Anyway, 'tis now finished and quite lovely. Tips and little dinky arrow pass are dog chew and the handle's boot lace. Total expended about £12.

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

That's pretty, that'd make a nice kids longbow.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thank you Paul. It wouldn't fall under the category of longbow as it's wider than it is deep but yes, if the draw weight was reduced (about 48lb at present), it'd be an ideal size for kids ... saying that, most kids are bigger than me :wink:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting it to be that high since it looks quite delicate but my eyesight isn't the best - my lemonwood bow looks chunkier and that has a wussy draw weight of 35)
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Back in Fife after a busy week in London. Admin done, time to walk the dog, have a beer and enjoy the sun. New pedals arrived for the road bike so planning a strip down and thorough clean. Guid wee bike deserves it after carrying my carcass from Carlisle to Edinburgh last weekend. :grin:
Quite tired but really chilled, enjoy your Friday evening :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Cheery here, I was working in south London and needing a bam, I knew by the time I’d fought my way across the river and back to the relative sanity of Oxfordshire I’d be too knackered to head out.
Luckily I had a cunning plan, bike in the van and head south, currently sat on the beach at Deal in Kent, great fish and chips :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Nothing bike related but mine and mrs m.a.ms leave days have crossed again so it's the start of the 1/2 mile of 11 pubs (probably get to 4 and pass out =)) )
RIP

Post by RIP »

You are very naughty boys and girls.

Nobody was cheerful in July then.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I did this in July. It was bloomin' marvelous. And cheery.

https://www.pannier.cc/journal/dashed-l ... uth-tirol/

*More tour than bikepacking by the definition of most folks here. And I did end up in hospital. And smashed up a set of Ultegra hydros. But it was still great!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

More tour than bikepacking by the definition of most folks here.
Dunno, it looks kinda 'bikepacky' ... just need to learn how to pack better so your kitchen's not on the outside :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I was the only one not dangling. I have been paying attention, I promise.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was the only one not dangling. I have been paying attention, I promise.
Sorry, I just saw the bike sporting a 'double dangle' and it kinda blew my mind :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Definitely cheery, diabolical weather all day but stopped in time to ride drz home through comically huge puddles. Sadly bad weather meant the Womens tour of Scotland (roadie race) was cancelled, despite all the effort we put into road closures, repairs and puddle sweeping. So no viewing of women in Lycra (sorry). But got home and stripped the top ends off two Ariel motorcycles in under an hour with a view to swapping pistons. Now enjoying a refreshing Beveridge. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Red Hunter?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just having a cheeky beer down in the village, watching a local band. 8.15pm and it's 33 degrees. 5 weeks till BB meets Teruel!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:04 pm Red Hunter?
Nah, a VG and an HT
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Landslide wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:39 pm I did this in July. It was bloomin' marvelous. And cheery.

*More tour than bikepacking by the definition of most folks here. And I did end up in hospital. And smashed up a set of Ultegra hydros. But it was still great!
Sorry, I started viewing that and had to stop as the format just grinds my gears.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Maps of the Picos arrived today
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Well that was a typically surreal couple of hours. Got chatting to a guy we've seen around the village, actually it's hard to miss him, he's a full on goth with piercings, mohawk, tatoos, goatee etc. Turns out he's a shepherd with a flock of 500 sheep and works in the valley where we live. Spent the evening discussing the merits of border collies!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Landslide wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:39 pm I did this in July. It was bloomin' marvelous. And cheery.

Mug dangle crimes aside ( :lol: ), what scenery, looks a great trip.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Please permit me to take the liberty of first post for this Cheery Friday. Daughter back for a break after finishing a fairly gruelling course. Good to see her. It's not all good of course because she takes after Mrs Perrin so you can't have everything. Anyway, they're watching 101 Dalmations #3 (on netflix, whatever that might be), but bizarrely it seems #2 is on telly at the same time tonight, how wierd is that!!! Waste of time of course, because neither can be a patch (*) on the original #1 can they? Anyroad, I've left them to it and retired to the parlour to watch an altogether more cerebral piece of cinematic goodness. It's almost related to BP, in as much as it's obviously set in Wales, where all the best BP japes take place. So I'm sat here with a lump of chocolate and a beer watching - Under Milk Wood. Of course, many would say it's an abomination to WATCH it; it should be listened to. But it's a beautiful thing for many reasons. And: Burton, Taylor, O'Toole. Punk rockers all. Well alright maybe not Liz :wink: . And of course the late, great, Ryan Davies. Marvellous. To begin at the ending......

By genuine coincidence, will be in Llareggub (**) next week.... sadly avoiding the gentrified Brown's though... time passes, time passes, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not...

(*) Patch. Wasn't that one of dawgs in the fillum?

(**) Hah! So much for the swear filter :wink: . And only the tourist Llareggub really.

(Burton: "All the Welsh are natural actors. Only the bad ones become professionals". Superb!)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Started off alright but nothing to trouble this thread with. However, after our daily post run, Dennis the dog and myself set off on our usual amble and discovered a previously unknown track. Must drop around 200 metres over the course of a km and I'm now trying hard to insert it into this years BB200. We found something similar last weekend which we (he likes to help) have now added :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Rather cheery here :-bd Although working on my birthday the client decided not to drop the hoists out the Grid so was finished by 11am, loitered around Pinewood studios doing very little then ambled up the motorway and picked up my new Brompton ( A 50th bday present to myself :-bd )
Currently enjoying a nice cold beer :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’m on holiday for two weeks which is ace apart from the nasty wrist injury I’ve just got playing badminton. Only I could hit myself full force with the racquet
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer