Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Piemonster

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by Piemonster »

Alan63 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm
Borderer wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:04 am
Piemonster wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm I really need to go and find HT Riders posh bivvy site!
Me too!
Us too. If I remember, Ray Young and Blair512 went there a couple of years ago.
Well, that’s half way to a plan isn’t it?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Piemonster wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:28 pm
Alan63 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm
Borderer wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:04 am
Piemonster wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm I really need to go and find HT Riders posh bivvy site!
Me too!
Us too. If I remember, Ray Young and Blair512 went there a couple of years ago.
Well, that’s half way to a plan isn’t it?
Location can be supplied on demand! (send me a PM). I did think of suggesting it for the winter bivvy but to be honest I'd say we should avoid a big group going - 3 or 4 fine though!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Fanciful notions. That’s what I have. A growing list of rides I fancy a crack at next year. One of them is the Peak 200.
I’ve already ridden the central and North/East bits of the route many times over, but the West and South are not so familiar, so I decided to combine my August BAM with a bit of a reccy, to avoid a full attempt becoming a frustrating exercise in stopping to check maps at every junction.

On an entirely atypical English bank holiday weekend, I waited until the cooler* evening to set out from New Mills station. A gentle spin along the Sett Valley trail took me to Birch Vale, where I joined the P200 route, heading up and over Ollerset to join the Pennine Bridleway. At this point, my lowest gear started to make grumpy noises. Still, not a problem on the downs or the more rolling sections, which instead were beset by hordes of flying ants.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ob21iFQwq/

The sun was starting to drop now, and the sky started to turn very attractive shades of orange, pink and blue as I sped along to Peak Forest to top up my water at the pub, then down to the Monsal Trail as darkness fell.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1oWu2WFQnL/

Headlight on, my field of view became increasingly filled by kamikaze moths, and at one point, a bat! It glanced off my shoulder. Sorry little fledermaus, but you were on the wrong side of the road! Despite the darkness, it was still warm, and I was happy to ride in my tee shirt towards the prospect of another pub. At this point**, I can’t help but draw comparisons between my approach to rehydration (I know there’s a pub in XXXkm…), and that of Trepid Explorer (encyclopedic knowledge of public washrooms with 24hr tap availability). Partial success here, as I got my water, but the buggers had decided to cash up early, so I couldn’t get a beer to go with it! Bah. Somewhat affronted, I continued on, briefly accompanied by a barn owl flying alongside me (clearly better navigational skills than bats).
Accommodation for the night would be at the luxurious Hotel Paramart, with its well-appointed rock for sitting on, and excellent views of the Milky Way. Stove on, water boiled, and an evening meal of couscous made with minimal fuss, while I unpacked my bed and whisky. Once any potential bed sharers had been gently evicted, I set an alarm for a fairly early start, and had a decent rest.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1oq9qoFhFw/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1osQ-RhVev/

A nice bright morning, porridge (with whisky) and coffee brewing while I packed up. Despite the sun shining, it was misty on the ground, and chilly in the cuttings. Beautiful though, almost enough to stop me cursing Ian Fitz at his choice of Gratton Dale… That said, the trail through the Haddon Hall estate more than made up for it.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1qHBDDlQkF/

I was now back on familiar territory, and my thoughts turned to second breakfast. Unfortunately, my early start meant I got to a few places (Edensor café, Jolley’s van) too early, though I did manage to get a sausage butty at Baslow. This fuelled me up to Baslow Edge (with an unexpected PR on Strava!), and onto the Eastern Moor Loop, before a last play through the woods back into Sheffield.

2019 BAM 8/8
2019 total bivvies 10
Current streak (months) 9

*It’s all relative
**I initially typed this as “pint”. Freudian.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BAM August in progress...

Laid out tge hunka xl... with the sleeping bag and mat... popped my ginger beer and powercharger and gloves in the Alpkit 5L airlock and realised its not gonna be enough...

So in goes the 1.5L of water bottle with only 800ml left. Squeezed air out of it and thought, 'well clever old me'. As the water came from fridge just an hour ago and might not feel good for ablution in morning. Just gonna use a bit mind if I'm still here. Now I'll have non-freezing water for washing face/arms etc etc for prayers (before sunrise)..

Next problem, ginger beer, buxton water bottle n powerbank don't make for a comfy pillow - did I say I didn't use the apple and didn't come with much or even a waterproof - so off it goes under the mat. Comfy as owt, clever ol me I thinks.

Next I look up and all the stars are out and I'm only a couple miles from the town centre. 'Lucky ol me' I think... 'Alhamdulillah*'... All that stressing just a few hours ago of where will I sleep etc etc, seems a distant memory.

Must write about this and tell a bear... so here I am with a pic (that almost makes it look daylight) to top it off :-bd

* All Praise to Allah
javatime

Post by javatime »

August done. I started in February so 7/12.
A local one on a work night. Left the North Bristol/Cribbs Causeway craziness to drop down Hollywood Lane and quiet roads on the Severn Plain.
Blackberries, apples and plums a plenty it was lush down there. A quick beer at Littleton on Severn then into the bivi bag on the marsh with the lights of the bridge beyond. A few spots of rain over the night but all ok. Didn't wake proper until 7.00, straight back into work to arrive at about the usual time....will try to upload photos later.
redefined_cycles

So got to sleep under the stars at about 1am... pretty soon after posting the above. Then awoke again at 0515ish and whilst trying to open the bivvy bag for more air I (thankfully) disturbed a slug who was on his way in for a cuddle. I do hope he fell out and not in cos otherwise the bags gonna be a bit of a mess when I unpack later...

Had a few more winks until my alarm went at 0530 and then slowly pulled myself out. Eventually did wudhu (ablution for prayers before sunrise) and wondered on a few options on how I'll get through these early mornings prayer washes in deep winter :sad:

Post prayers and with the sun just about arriving, I rewarded myself with the (Old Jamaican) ginger beer. Twas lovely. Packed up and got going. Straight up the track and around the houses and home :-bd

Thoroughly lovely and the stitching and new YKK zip which I bodged on seems to be (just about) holding up well :grin:

Image pre dawn
Image post prayers: the bivvy bag makes such a wonderful prayer mat :-bd
Image almost stuffed to the gills but now a little lighter without the pop can: bivvyBag&mat&lightweight sleeping bag all stuffed in nicely :o
redefined_cycles

javatime wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:28 am August done. I started in February so 7/12.
A local one on a work night. Left the North Bristol/Cribbs Causeway craziness to drop down Hollywood Lane and quiet roads on the Severn Plain.
Blackberries, apples and plums a plenty it was lush down there. A quick beer at Littleton on Severn then into the bivi bag on the marsh with the lights of the bridge beyond. A few spots of rain over the night but all ok. Didn't wake proper until 7.00, straight back into work to arrive at about the usual time....will try to upload photos later.
Well done Javatime... Twas a lovely night for it. I think I'm just trailing behind you by a couple of months :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

8/8 August bivi with RIP done.
He'll be along in a minute to explain all :lol: .
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep, a "local bivvy for local people".

Nipped round to MuddyPete's fairly late last night since he was out with "Audrey The Rabbit Lady" earlier on. Sounds like a euphemism to me but there we go.

Pete fancied our local country park and sleeping under his Christmas tree (4 months early but why not?), but it JUST started to rain as we set off (this IS a Reg bivvy after all and Pickers is right - it always rains for me. Soaked waist down last month. Haven't seen many other wet BaM reports for ages - blinkin' fair-weather merchants :wink: ). I therefore suggested a return to the nearby woods that we used on "3 Lions" in June and off we went. En route Pete changed the venue back to the country park - nothing like being decisive eh.

As we entered the park heading towards Pete's Christmas Tree, I noticed a derelict shed and woodstore that I'd seen a while ago but not thought much about. Would be rude not to check it again. Main benefit - dry. Well, by BBB standards, "dry" anyway.

Gear all laid out in 2 minutes and off we nodded.

Peter was sporting his "new" old Orange P7, obtained from Psling of this parish, and his and my P7 seemed to be getting on very well together on the ride. In fact they'd obviously been getting on VERY well together, and it seems their night out hadn't been wasted either....

Well, I hadn't even realised mine was a lady P7 before now.

On the way home, my P7 began behaving very strangely, so I put her to bed in the shed. Lots of curious groans, squeaks, and metallic grinding noises could be heard from inside and ten minutes later I was suddenly the proud Uncle to - yes! - a BABY P3-and-a-half!!! Here's the first picture of the bouncing new arrival! Awww, bless! All I need to do now is sort out a Godbike to look after her until she's 18 in case anything happens to me on future BaMs.

Daren't risk going out again with Pete and his P7 or who knows what we'll end up with next.

8/8, 8/12, 43/43

'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Yay! :-bd
An ace venue and only 1 mile from Leighton Buzzard station. I'll be back early next week for September BaM, should anyone wish to join me.
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

You'll be pleased to know P3-and-a-half is doing well. Just changed her nappy.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Not really b.a.m as I missed out on July due to falling to the charms of my wife and Nancy whisky,
Any how set off Tuesday afternoon heading to the long mynd ,it was quite hot and humid ,I too found out I don't work very well in the heat , anyway plodded along to much wenlock and started off up the edge but as time was pressing on and wanted to get set up before sunset dropped on to the road around easthope ,down into church stretton PASSED the drinking establishments and pressed on up to the spot.Having normally bivied up there with Scott I'd never seen the sun go down over the hills ,which is something I've wanted to do as it's my favourite spot waking up and seeing the Shropshire hills unfolded beneath you ,got pitched ,posh pot noodle (chorizo added) and settled down .Woke to the hills covered in mist so pressed on upto glider club and down the hill into little stretton, now the sun had come out so I thought I'd take the round about way home up around caer cadoc taking in some lovely single track , sweat was pouring again but after 5 chimneys there was no more real climbing ,bimbled down to iron bridge and the heavens opened ,it was slightly biblical so rested up under a old railway bridge along the Silkin way where I got chatting to a oldish couple telling me how much they love their surly trolls ,rain not letting up and fag break over decided it was time to grow up face the rain with only a couple of hrs of riding left ,got home like a drownded rat ,but a really enjoyable couple of days were had
2019-08-29_11-11-50.jpg
(92.29 KiB) Downloaded 2473 times
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I returned home yesterday evening after a demanding but very satisfying three-day bikepacking trip. My route was based on the Capital Trail route (heading south from Edinburgh into the Borders region and back again) but, in truth, I did miss out a couple of sections. Nevertheless, I still racked up 141 miles and over 11,000 feet of climbing. I made two overnight bivvy halts, the first in my tent and for the second (due to a lack of suitable flat ground in the vicinity) I made do with just my sleeping bag and inflatable mat. Fortunately, it didn’t rain and there was minimal overnight dew. In summary, the trip made for a memorable experience but let's just say I’m in no hurry to push a fully laden bike up a steep hill again anytime soon!

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BAM 8/8 Llangwyfan

Set out from home last Monday headed for Prestatyn along the Clwydian range

The Vale of Clwyd near Denbigh..

The bivvy..

The lucky parasol mushroom...

Lucky, because if I hadn't stopped to take a photo, I wouldn't have had to get my phone out of my backpack and I wouldn't have known for goodness-knows-how-long, that I'd taken it off and left it behind :roll: I had to back-track only a couple of hundred yards and one gate to get it back.

The battle scars...

...brambles sticking out into the bridle path. Ouch!

The reward...

.. at the Eagle & Child in Gwaenysgor. Filled me up a treat, but I regretted it on the next few climbs when I couldn't fully breathe in 'coz all that food (and two pints) wouldn't let my diaphragm expand.

I got a train back to Wrexham but after the doors had shut and we were on our way, I realised that I'd left my helmet/glasses/gloves on the platform. It all ended well though. The guard phoned the ticket office and got them to send my stuff on the next train down. Only had to wait an hour.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

August - during which I follow in Mr Landslide's tyre tracks 24 hours later and end up sleeping off my bivi in the back of my van at work (in my lunchbreak gov).

Start

Middle

Oh yeah, bivi...

End

I managed to hydrate on 24-hour sink facilities, beer and bus-stop salt tabs.

Note: Never use a Camelbak as a pillow on a hot day. You will consume it.

https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/201 ... liday.htmlMore words
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
RIP

Post by RIP »

Top effort that. Lots of points garnered with the bus stop bivi there :smile: . Impressed you stuck out the car alarm for so long, I'd've been gone with the first beep. I can stand any amount of slugs etc but 'noises' really wind me up - industrial strength earplugs always first things packed for me. Gotta be these though:

TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Purely a measure of how done in I was... and dropping my earplugs somewhere in the dusty floor of the bus stop.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I like that we've had three Bearboners go through the same place on three consecutive days.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

8/8

Another trip to mid Wales to try and find the elusive bridleway heading west from the claerwen river past Llyn Carw and on towards the bottom of the devils staircase it was made a lot easier this time as i decided to do it during the afternoons daylight hours i set off about 1.30 from Rhayader and climbed up the golf links byway to avoid the road then across on the roman camp track to Craig Coch dam and as the Elan valley trail was closed had to use the road instead around to the start of the days real entertainment . .Image
And here is Llyn Carw
The two little nipples on the horizon are the next mornings objective , i pretty much managed to follow the right route for the rest of the day with a few short sections of waist high tussocks and deep holes what fun !! Found a nice bivi spot by the river Irfon complete with loads of big black slugs after a bit of slug relocation i just started to set up for the night when out of nowhere this man appeared i thought it was going to be you cant stop here mate chat completely wrong he was an extremely gallant gentleman who had been out walking with a party of Doe students one of the girls went "lame" and he tried to carry her pack and drag his but ditched his and was on the way back up to get it .

I ate and settled down for the night with the wind blowing from behind the tarp and the rain blowing in the front havent worked that one out but only a brief shower slept quite well for me until 4.30ish looked out and the hill with the devils staircase on was totally illuminated in my sleepy state i thought it was getting light but as nowhere else was it couldnt be tried to find a source of the light and couldnt so had to be aliens safe in the knowledge turned over and went back to sleep .
it turned out to be enthusiastic forestry workers .
Packed up and away early to enjoy some riding up to the massive cairns on Drygarn Fawr
Why ?
The route from here was mostly rideable until i joined the bridleway thats comes over from Carnau which was superb and made the effort to that point worthwhile . Rejoined the outward route and ate and drank quite a bit when i got back .
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Well that's me out BaM. 7 done this year, but missed August due to school holidays/poor health/laziness. I'll hopefully get out again in September. ☹️
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

August shows me that it doesn't always go to plan. Not every night out under the stars is a triumph of man or woman against nature.

I had picked a spot a few weeks ago whilst out having a van picnic with Mrs Darbeze (Fi).

So late Friday night I ventured out a couple of miles down the road to a spot just above my nearest beach. I should have know things wouldn't go to plan when I broke the zip on my much loved backpack. The 2nd thing that wasn't good was the fact that the wonderful spot I had chosen was nowhere near flat and the ground was absolutely littered with small rocks and fallen branches.

I attempted to settle down regardless. You know, "Carry on man, it's only a slope and only for one night. You can cope with a bit of discomfort for that long" sort of approach.

Anyway, I tried to nod off, which I did for an hour or more, only to be woken up by the melodious and rythmic bass notes of some very loud "dance" music that some delightful person decided sounded much better outside in the small hours of Saturday morning. Once that beat gets in my head, there is no way I can get to sleep. I managed to put up with it for about an hour, but finally gave in and packed up. I rode in search of the noise and found 4 people sat in a car on the promenade with the music playing loudly and partaking in special cigarettes. I stayed looking at the waves crashing on the beach for a short while and then ventured slowly home before dawn. I must say, it was a very lovely ride home in the quiet and empty roads at that time of the morning.

No pictures as I left home after dark and returned before first light. Had a couple of hours sleep at home before getting on with Saturday.

My least satisfactory bivvi ever. Just goes to show it's not all soft luggage and glory in this game...

8/8

Si
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Sitting on the beach though. I'd have to do 60-70 shitty miles for that kind of luxury.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

8/8 for Fraser and I. My youngest son Lewis (9) decided he wanted to join us on our bothy trip. Lewis doesn't ride a bike but prefers to walk. Looked at Gameshope and Abyssinia but didn't fancy the burn crossing with 2 kids. Instead we went back to our wee shelters at Whitelee forest for a quick hit bivvy.
BaM 2021
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

8/8 Last minute overnight in the Lakes with a bottle of wine & some tunes Sat eve.. Quick call-in at the Adventure Fest on the way home to marvel at the field of carnage..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

August's BAM was both last minute and the strangest I've done - to date.

About 5 years ago a friend of mine bought an Escort Mk2 Mexico in need of major restoration. Not much happened on the car for the next 4 years or so. Then 10 months ago he thought it would be nice to have it at his wedding. The car was moved to another friends workshop who is a professional bodywork man who is a specialist in classic cars and old Fords in particular. The following 9 and half months were spent repairing the shell. It's not possible to really describe how much work was required. As this wasn't a paying job it was done in evenings and weekends. A jig was made to mount the shell and this was done from dimensions in the manual to get the locations of the missing mountings etc when the new panels were fitted. All that was saveable on the car was the roof, pillars, rear inner quarters, parcel shelf and the dash panel. All the rest was replaced using pattern panels and parts cut from other damaged cars.

The shell was painted on the 26th August (last Monday) so that gave us all week to finish it for the wedding on the Saturday :o They had already done several all nighters to get to this point. I was asked if I could lend a hand but being busy I wasn't free until Thursday, I also said I still had to fit my BAM in..... no problem they said, just bring your sleeping bag on the Friday :smile: So I packed my bike with bivi kit and clothes to wear working on the car and headed over.

This is the car when we started after work at 5pm on Friday

Apart from the obvious lack of doors, glass, interior etc. we also had to make and fit the brake lines, make a full exhaust system, fit the cooling system, finish making the wiring, plumb the cooling and fuel system, fit the carbs, modify the throttle pedal and fit the cables for the carbs (a pair of twin choke webbers) fit the dash up, bleed the brakes, finish assembling the hubs, axle, fill all the fluids and so the list goes on. It looked hopeless to be honest but the owners father is very ill and the wedding will probably be the last family event he's here for :sad: despite the fact that it seemed there was no way it could be done we just kept working our way through the list. At one point the were 11 of us all working on it at once. By about 3am we were down to 5 of us. Once the wiring and plumbing was complete we started the rebuilt engine for the first time at about 4:20am, only to see if it would fire as the unit is surrounded by flats and the car is quite noisy.

At about 4:45 I said I'd have to go and sleep for a bit, I wasn't tired but to comply with the rules of BAM I would need to sleep. The others said to just say I had but I pointed out it was an honor system.

I retired to the other lock up, evidence that I rode to the location

and here is my bed for the night, well 2 hours

I was quite comfy although there was the smell of classic car, a mix of petrol and polish :grin: I heard the sparky leave just after I laid down... his own classic Ford could be heard waking up the neighborhood for miles as he drove away :roll:

At 7 my alarm went off and I got back to work. One of the other 3 had fallen asleep for a bit on the floor and the other 2 were slowing down. Refreshed by my nap I first went to the co-op which was just opening, bought pastries and more coffee. We then upped the pace and pushed on with the possibility we might just pull this off. The owner of the car had been sent home at 2am and by 9am he was messaging for a progress update. No one replied which we assume he took to meant it wasn't going to make it. The wedding was at 14:30 so ages yet :lol: Luckily the car is TAX and MOT exempt and the paperwork had been done already and it was insured.

First test drive at 10:15... some adjustments and last minute checks and it was ready to leave at 10:45

Some missing parts meant there was no glass in the front doors, no carpet and some other missing trim, and it's missing the Mexico stripes but not bad :smile:

As predicted there were a few tears when it was handed over to the very emotional owner and quite a few more when it made it to the church. It was generally thought it couldn't be done but no one wanted to call it and say to give up as the owner had so much invested in it emotionally. A lot of people had gone above and beyond to pull this off but the look on the grooms face when he drove away from the church made it all worthwhile :grin:

When I left school at the end of the 80s you could have bought all 3 of these for about £750 to £1000... to buy the 3 today you'd need £75k+ :o It makes the cost of my SPOT renewal seem almost reasonable :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger