Glasgow based route ideas

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

northshoreniall

Glasgow based route ideas

Post by northshoreniall »

Dropping wife in Glasgow 1st weekend in September to visit friend and thought might bring the bike and go for an overnight from there. Open to suggestions from those in the know - plan leave early Saturday and back Sunday afternoon. What would you guys recommend? Happy get train out and ride back or ride out and back/ loop - leaving car with wife in case needs transport baby.
Did think WHW, but open to any suggestions - not especially fit currently so nothing too epic please.
Cheers,
Niall
ScotRoutes

Re: Glasgow based route ideas

Post by ScotRoutes »

NCN7 to the Trossachs, round Loch Katrine, down to Inversnaid and back along the WHW.

This and a bit.

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2011/10 ... omond.html
northshoreniall

Post by northshoreniall »

Thanks ScotRoutes, looks an interesting ride - shall have a look at maps and see if feasible.
What midges like in September? Tent or tarp time?
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

You could try the first part of Markus Stitz's Wild About Argyll. Train or ride from Glasgow to start in Helensburgh. Ride as far as Dunoon then ferry over the Clyde then ride or train back to city.

Alternatively the start of 2nd City Divide from city centre as far as Lanark then train back.

Don't forget Glasgow is a great place to visit. I would say that as I live there 😀
BaM 2021
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

northshoreniall wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 pm Thanks ScotRoutes, looks an interesting ride - shall have a look at maps and see if feasible.
What midges like in September? Tent or tarp time?
I still prefer a tarp all year. Just that you might need Smidge and a head net. As always, very dependent on weather and location though.