A few things for Iceland

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

A few things for Iceland

Post by Alpinum »

Repaired a torn silnylon bathtub floor of a Oookwork inner with Chikara. Made a ground cloth from Chikara to keep it from further falling apart on the sharp rocks in Iceland.
152 g and covers the whole floor of the Oookworks inner.

Made some triple mounts for my girlfriend and own rear racks.
Rubberised 10 mm clamps, some screws and bits, some flat profile aluminium, 5 mm drill, belt sander and a saw.

Placement

Checking for placement, tyre and luggage clearance. Of course the heel needs room to, but it's nowhere near. Should work.

After placing the clamps I took length of the alloy profile, cut it and sanded the edges.

Then I checked the length of the profile and the placement with a manything cage. With a little hesitation I drilled some holes.

Looking good.

Happy that the pannier for everyday use still goes on the rack just perfectly.

More to come... made a few bags from a torn drybag. Will post later
Lazarus

Re: A few things for Iceland

Post by Lazarus »

Chikara
Googles says this is either a herbicide or an american wrestling promotion.

What is it ?

Nice work by the way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Sorry...

Chikara is a double PU coated ripstop nylon.
Mostly known with sails and kites.

For its weight it the most robust (relatively speaking) material I've used. We get more than 100 nights out of a floor with that material - often in rocky places with no protection for the floor.
Due to its coating it's stiff and makes a bit of noise but is dead easy to work with. Sewing, seam sealing; really, really stupidly easy.

On the expensive side though.

I get it from https://www.metropolis-drachen.de/index ... fb9129419b
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

My oookworks inner for the Trailstar is Chikara. Great stuff, not as slidy as silnylon so a good floor material.

Looks good Alpinum.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

u02sgb wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:15 pm My oookworks inner for the Trailstar is Chikara. Great stuff, not as slidy as silnylon so a good floor material.

Looks good Alpinum.
When I first got a GoLite Shangri La 3 I asked Sean for an inner and my girlfriend and I used for many trips til the floor started to fail, as well as the yellow ripstop at the bottom, horizontal zip. Also the fly started to show wear at the tie-ins for the guy lines, so we needed a new tent or fix it ourselves. Someday I might fix the torn fabric and give the floor a very good clean and try to re-proof it. But in the meantime, when GoLite went bankrupt, I got another fly for little money and about 1.5 years ago contacted Sean for another inner. I asked for a Chikara floor, but he stopped using it, that'd why we got silnylon - which was in pieces after a trip through a sea of rocks in the Breheimen national park (Norway).
Unfortunately I've never fancied sewing an inner myself - those large fabric panels are a lot of work.
Sean's nests are really well made and whilst I understand his hesitations, it's a shame he doesn't find the will to run Oookworks as some may hope.
Anyways... our Oookwork nests will continue to discover wild places and give us that lovely sheltered place.

More tinkering has been done.
I had the dyno charger setup for my fatbike without knowing about the handy set Supernova provides. So the charger has gotten the same Supernova connection, we've been using on our every day bikes for the connection from the front to the rear light. When charging is needed, we can simply unplug the rear light and plug in the charger, about 100 km for a full charge on 2500 mAh.

All 6 cages in place. 4 thanks to the mount I made for the rear rack.

A well used and worn MYOG framebag I made for my girlfriend needed some reinforcement.

Bikes into the bags for the flight Thursday morning.

Besides a different front bag for the red bike and different tyres, all set with 6 days worth of food and a few luxuries, like a frypan for pancakes, big warm mats and shoes for hiking.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Oh... we've been back for a month...

So... my 2 mm aluminium stays where too weak. The top profiles snapped. I got my hands on them real quick and easy and was slightly sceptic, but now I know. They didn't last long, mine snapped on the 2nd day. My girlfriend's on the fourth and one held.
When we wanted to make a 'long' term we realised, we (that's totally my gf's fault) hadn't brought enough duct tape. Once we were in Akureyri, we got a roll of duct tape and new dry bags and all was set for a second traverse...

The snapped profile left the cage wobbling about, letting the dry bag rub the tyre.
The damage was done in less than a day riding/pushing (in the wind).

Crunchy M&M's

A life inside a frame bag across Iceland.

In Akureyri. Old vs. new

In Kerlingarfjöll. Lucky and happy cyclists.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Looks like a proper kit test!