Mounting an Etrex

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Mounting an Etrex

Post by ootini »

How do you mount your Garmin Etrex ? Ice currently got one of the cable tie mounts on the stem of my MTB, but before I go buy another one for my Gradventure bike, thought I'd check if there's anything clever and ingenious I should look at first.
Stem cap mounts?
Lazarus

Re: Mounting an Etrex

Post by Lazarus »

there is a thread on here about this - postierich i think-cant find it with a search sorry
Basic conclusion was
!) if you think it does not fall of the garmin mount- the official one not ebay ones
2) if you think it falls off [ 50/50 split ish] then use a RAM mount

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/garmin-etre ... c-449.html
I am 2

third option is an edge to etrex adapter

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XF3QS ... ntent=3%20...
Javi

Post by Javi »

Whatever the mounting, use a lanyard. I have the standard one with zero issues.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

i have a RAM mount, for Garmin Spline mount devices (oregon 700 and inReach mini)

ImageUntitled by Asposium, on Flickr

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Javi wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm Whatever the mounting, use a lanyard. I have the standard one with zero issues.
+1
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

RAM mount and lanyard for me.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

ram mount no lanyard for me
Its just not falling out under any set of circumstances i have ever experienced.
Its pretty hard to get it in there tbh and I cannot see how it is going to rattle lose.

Out of interest anyone ever had it come out a RAM Mount ?
It used to be zip tied to a garmin mount and if you use one of them certainly use a lanyard.

Al

Post by Al »

I modified the cable tie one by shaving the mount flat then attaching a exposure light shoe. Works really well, I did post a picture of it on here I think.

Edit: this viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12094&p=148886&hil ... re#p148886
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My oregon has never ejected itself, but I always use the lanyard just in case. I use the normal cable tie mount but I've wrapped a load of inner tube around my stem to raise it up a bit

I have a ram mount for my oregon so I can put it on my motorbike, haven't seen the one above. my one is more of a cradle that the whole unit sits in
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had an OTB once and looked to see that my Oregon had disappeared - as had the mount. I started looking in the heather for it then noticed that it was still dangling from my bars, attached to the lanyard. :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Cheapy ebay cable tie mounts for my Etrex on all my bikes. As others mention I use the lanyard and a small carabiner to attach it to the bike as a back up. I have a RAM mount for it as well which is in my sailing canoe but it's a bit big and clunky for bike use. Some of the ebay mounts are better than others in terms of retention, on the loose ones I've augmented the clip that holds the Etrex on with self amalgamating tape which tightens it up and prevents unintentional releases.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:42 pm I had an OTB once and looked to see that my Oregon had disappeared - as had the mount. I started looking in the heather for it then noticed that it was still dangling from my bars, attached to the lanyard. :lol:
What happened? Did the cable ties break?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

benp1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:42 pm I had an OTB once and looked to see that my Oregon had disappeared - as had the mount. I started looking in the heather for it then noticed that it was still dangling from my bars, attached to the lanyard. :lol:
Yep. I hit it hard enough to snap them, but the Oregon was still in the mount! (had a bit of a bruise on my thigh for a while too....)
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Cheap eBay mounts and a lanyard. Works perfectly
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:30 pm
benp1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 pm
Yep. I hit it hard enough to snap them, but the Oregon was still in the mount! (had a bit of a bruise on my thigh for a while too....)
No clue on the newer etrex - only had it's first incarnations and had to cut, grind, drill and saw to make it fit the way I wanted.
After a few crashes I came to realise the importance of a mount that goes out of its way during a crash. Use thin zipties or a mount that can be rotated. This way the GPS unit can move when it gets struck.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Bought one of these earlier in the Summer and have been very impressed. Been using it on my MTB and the Etrex has not moved despite me trying to give it my best of road. A bit spendy but does the job. https://www.shapeways.com/product/XF3QS ... arketplace