What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bish

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by Bish »

Nothing exciting, but they're ever so shiny!
Replaced my knackered old wellgo pedals that refused to die.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well not mine but Cath's.

Bought some O-O Geoff bars off Ton for her Stooge. We fitted them the other week but she needed proper grips along with some tape for the forward parts of the bars. Those arrived last week so we fitted everything this morning. :-bd

And on my road bike:

The cranks felt a bit "notchy" when out riding yesterday so onto the stand and strip out the BB and clean things up. All well and good except the driveside bearing felt very rough. Luckily someone :???: had had the foresight to buy a set of Hope drifts a year or so ago. Out with the bearing (ceramic but it had done 20,000km at least) and in with a spare, stainless steel but I doubt I'll tell the difference, and all's good.

The gear indexing also needed a bit of fettling so did that whilst it was in the stand.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

At the weekend: swapped a component (the frame) and transformed the bike from a snapped Inbred to an intact P7, courtesy of that nice Mr. Psling. Thank you, much appreciated :-bd .

It's a proper "Trigger's Broom" :lol: .
This is the 3rd frame in 10 years; 5th wheelset; 3rd saddle; 3rd handlebar; 2nd seat post; 3rd brake set; 3rd fork; 2nd crankset and umpteenth drivetrain. All worn out or broken :cool: .
The only original component is the stem, which was swapped out, then swapped back a few years ago.

26 ain't dead :wink: .
May you always have tail wind.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Frame swap for me too last week/bits of this weekend when i had some spare time. Got a super bargain Sanderson Town Crier 29 frame on ebay and built it up with most of the stuff from the Scandal I sold recently. Needs some brake hose lengthened and going to try a Geoff bar on it. Also have a 2.6 front tyre arriving, really looking forward to riding it.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Been working on the every day bike to prep it for a 3 weeks trip across Iceland.

Swapped rigid steel for to a suspension fork. Cut steerer, got the cable from the dyno hub sorted. Found that the enduro bearings of the Hope headset are still like new.

Changed old leaking brakes with new ones. Shortened hoses. Bled them.
Degreased rotors.
Changed rear cog from 15 to 18t. Found 2 of 4 broken springs in the Hope Pro 4 Hub freewheel. Took leaf springs from the fatbike hub, which is in a rebuild anyways.

Regreased all the parts. Found that the bearings are rough. Adjusted chain length.

Shortened a connection piece of the rear rack. Modded the mount for better clearance.

Put old mudguards on only to find they are a bit on the small side.

Took me at least 4 h... and that was only my bike. Roughly the same to be done now for my girlfriend's, though she did help a bit :-bd and has prepared some delicious looking and smelling food.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:12 pm Changed rear cog from 15 to 18t.
From this can I deduce you're single-speeding across Iceland :smile: hopefully with the prevailing wind.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Fitted and taped the jones bars to the longitude test ride tomorrow,fitted and taped the digest bars to the cdf ,and bleed the brakes on the longitude
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:13 pm
Alpinum wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:12 pm Changed rear cog from 15 to 18t.
From this can I deduce you're single-speeding across Iceland :smile: hopefully with the prevailing wind.
Yep, similar route (a bit a softer version) to 2016 and the same gear too. 34/18. Was spot on.
Unfortunately I couldn't just slide the rear wheel forwards, chain was still too short so I had to make it longer...
FLV

Post by FLV »

Made it heavier.

Was feeling a little beaten up riding rigid of late so have purchased a set of 100mm travel forks and popped them on. Seem nice and bouncy on the front street :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

FLV wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:19 pm Made it heavier.

Was feeling a little beaten up riding rigid of late so have purchased a set of 100mm travel forks and popped them on. Seem nice and bouncy on the front street :grin:
What forks'd you get Dave
FLV

Post by FLV »

found a nice discount on a pair of 2020 SID's
Short ride today, very nice
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

Decided to spruce up the Ramin in a retro 90's style....here it is a few cans of graffiti spray later....

We'll see regarding durability but it seems pretty damn tough!

Also added some Yuzet duct tape on the Mulefuts.

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Fitted the On One Geoff (fake Loop) bars to my Pinnacle. Just about to go for a test ride to see how they feel, hopefully I'll like them (I ran Marys on the bike for a while so the position shouldn't feel too alien). I bar taped over the logo so hopefully I shouldn't be spat at by any "real" bike packer types that I happen to meet (nothing to do with me being ashamed or being a brand snob honestly)! :oops: :lol:
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 pm Fitted the On One Geoff (fake Loop) bars to my Pinnacle............ I bar taped over the logo so hopefully I shouldn't be spat at by any "real" bike packer types that I happen to meet (nothing to do with me being ashamed or being a brand snob honestly)! :oops: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 pm Fitted the On One Geoff (fake Loop) bars to my Pinnacle. Just about to go for a test ride to see how they feel, hopefully I'll like them (I ran Marys on the bike for a while so the position shouldn't feel too alien). I bar taped over the logo so hopefully I shouldn't be spat at by any "real" bike packer types that I happen to meet (nothing to do with me being ashamed or being a brand snob honestly)! :oops: :lol:
They're really good, I'm well chuffed with them. :-bd
ImageIMG_20190812_173929760 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
Mart

Post by Mart »

New Saddle time - fitted a SQLab to replace the Cambium. Lets see how my arse gets on with this one

Last time I changed saddles, I spent a fortune buying and selling before I found the right type
I fear this could escalate into a 2 year quest to find the holy grail
Last edited by Mart on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Jusy fitted some suspension forks yesterday. It was a rather sad experience pulling off my Travers Prongs (which look and ride vaguely exciting) for some sus (which just make the bike look cheap, nasty and heavy :wink: )...

Lets see how I get on with the rock gardens though. Might makw me smile a little cos at least they feel solid and don't just run through their full travel whilst bouncing un/down during setup...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Replaced the rear gear cable and outer on the road bike as the gear changing was a bit erratic - everything worked fine on the stand but going from small to large cog when riding it would jump, going from large to small was OK. So to go down a gear I'd go down two then back up one. It's better but when changing from small to large chainring it will also move the rear derailleur by one smaller gear, i.e. away from the wheel and going from large to small chainring the rear will move to the next larger gear, i.e. towards the wheel.

I've got a feeling the rear derailleur doesn't have enough tension. Given it's nine years old, it doesn't owe me much but I don't really want to spend money on that bike.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Joe wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 am Quite happy with the result anyway :-bd
Wow... I'd be quite happy with that too. Well done. Looks great :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

Swapped the bars on my new Arkose for genetic digest bars. Considering I've never taped a bar in my life, I'm pleasantly surprised with my work

Tonto

Post by Tonto »

Put some lighter tyres on the Capra. It is now just over a pound heavier than the Anthem. I can't decide which one to take on the Alps adventure.
Bish

Post by Bish »

New bars, stem and grips today
Imageanthropologist salary uk
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

whonickedmename wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:40 pm Decided to spruce up the Ramin in a retro 90's style....here it is a few cans of graffiti spray later....

I like it!!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Rode the SS bike - summer is ending and i like to make sure i have ridden it once for SSUK - its my winter bike mainly

For the record i have
Rebuilt the rear hub from a donor hub, new BB, new cranks [ if you can call fitting some xtr960's new [ well the chainring is new], new pedals, new pads and serviced the forks.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fitted the Trek carbon forks I bought onto the Cube. Colour isn't quite right but they're a good bit lighter than the Blutos (and will be a few grammes lighter when I shorten the steerer). I reckon a tubeless conversion will get me below 30lbs.