YoughChoob

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

YoughChoob

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm not sure if many people have seen a couple of videos I have posted here since January with some of the adventures I've gotten up to. I have them unlisted on YouTube, so only people with the link can view them.

The question is; should I list them as public? Is there any downside do you think?

:roll:
fatbikephil

Re: YoughChoob

Post by fatbikephil »

You'll end up getting bombarded by adverts for shops selling carbon fibre tent poles, dyneema guylines, mini meths stoves made from deodorant cans, windshields, fuel bottles and bamboo t shirts :mrgreen:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

:lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Personally Allan. I'm of the opinion (as Stu has obviously been in the past it seems) that one should just keep the good old country side and lovely spots of natural beauty 'x directory'.

I realised this was my stance after seeing some reports (on here mainly but then also the rubbish mounting up in some lovely areas I've been lucky enoygh to visit) of certain natural beauty spots being 'found out' by the 'tosser (not a swear word in this instance)' crew and now they lay laden with nappies and probably dog poo and maybe soon some more disposable Aldi tents!...

Keep em x directory and just let us enjoy em. But obviously they're your vids so could do whatever you like... maybe open em up but disable comments. So its only insporation for the already outdoor crew and mot for the 'lets go have a party at that place Allan managed to get to and lets leave a shithole in our midst'...

Off coyrse... I could be wrong and am sure others will be round soon with their thoughts and more educated opinions...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Personally Allan. I'm of the opinion (as Stu has obviously been in the past it seems) that one should just keep the good old country side and lovely spots of natural beauty 'x directory'.
Are you aware how xenophobic this comment is?
Maybe the good old countryside should be fenced off with access restricted to those with the secret key.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I read that differently. Nothing about restricting access, or indeed trying to keep the wrong people out, but simply not advertising it to those that can’t be bothered to search.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, I think that coment's somewhat unfair. Aside from scruffy, lazy, dirty f*ckers, no particular group was singled out.

"Where's that?", "Jasmin, Zac, etc ooh we must do this" comments seem to be the mainstay of replies to social media posts showing someone enjoying the countryside somewhere nice. Obviously you don't have to tell anyone but that kind of makes you look like a miserable git. Social media has a massive following and none of us know who's seen what we've written. Sadly, not everyone is a nice, considerate person, some people are simply ignorant (which is no excuse) uncaring tw@ts who will gladly litter at the drop of a crisp packet.

Personally, I'd post videos but as already suggested, I wouldn't allow comments and simply allow the footage to inspire those willing to delve a little further.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Piemonster wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:52 am I read that differently. Nothing about restricting access, or indeed trying to keep the wrong people out, but simply not advertising it to those that can’t be bothered to search.
Sorry. Thats what I meant :-bd
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:31 am
Maybe the good old countryside should be fenced off with access restricted to those with the secret key.
:grin: just looked up xenophobic (people from other countries)... Nope wasn't meaning that at all by my comment. Apologies if it sounded like that :o
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:14 am
Personally, I'd post videos but as already suggested, I wouldn't allow comments and simply allow the footage to inspire those willing to delve a little further.
This ^^^ thanks for putting it so eloquently. Knew you would Stu
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Xenophobia can involve perceptions of an ingroup toward an outgroup and can manifest itself in suspicion of the activities of others, and a desire to eliminate their presence to secure a presumed purity
Perhaps Youtube has a setting that only allows those with a working class name to access videos :roll:
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:08 am
Xenophobia can involve perceptions of an ingroup toward an outgroup and can manifest itself in suspicion of the activities of others, and a desire to eliminate their presence to secure a presumed purity
Perhaps Youtube has a setting that only allows those with a working class name to access videos :roll:
Aha... I didn't know that... Thanks for clarification
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Xenphobia is a fear of foreigners

they described one of the methods that people MAY use to do this [in and out groups] but this psychological bias is also used to maintain prejudice in general.
It is not a definition of xenophobia anymore than a description of how a drivetrain and gears work is a definition of a bike.

Please note how the full intro says IS [must include] for the first statement and CAN [ ie it need not]for the second] I cannot see how you thought his comment was some sort of appeal for national or pure racial identity . Its just said lets not publicise cheeky spots.

Xenophobia is the fear or hatred of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.[1][2][3] Xenophobia can involve perceptions of an ingroup toward an outgroup and can manifest itself in suspicion of the activities of others, and a desire to eliminate their presence to secure a presumed purity and may relate to a fear of losing national, ethnic or racial identity.[4]
I cannot really see how statement saying lets not advertise "cheeky" routes and locations in the countryside is xenophobic. What it says is I wish that the countryside was only frequented by people who respect it and use it appropriately, if we advertise the locations too much then the outcomes [increased numbers]are not good - see bothies being used as party houses for example with the resulting damage/lack of care. I really dont think anyone GAS where these folk come from they object to what they do once there [ and they all must be British anyway]

Basically if you created a website with wild camping spots on it do you think these areas would get issues with increased use or not? If the former dont advertise if the later spread the word. i think the former is inevitable, so i am generally against it, and that conclusion not xenophobic.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps Youtube has a setting that only allows those with a working class name to access videos
Sorry Duncan, names I chose were done so as not to cause offence to any Johns, Daves or Simons. They're weren't an intentional act of class persecution as implied.

I really don't see what's wrong with a pragmaric approach here. Until such a time as people can behave themselves in a respectful and considerate manner, then why should they be allowed to defile the great outdoors? Those with a genuine interest will put in the required leg-work and take note of best practice. This is in no way a class, race, gender or religious belief issue because there's scumbags within every group of society.
redefined_cycles

Another thing I'd like to point out (in my opinion and experience) when you make someone work a little harder for the prize - in this case some amazing spot in the countryside with a mountainous backdrop or a lake (remember that lovely blue lake which got so litter strewn that the landowner had to fill the hole that allowed access to it!.. twas a thread on here bout it not long ago) - then the person/people that had to put in the legwork and came through with the results, you'd expect were those that weren't tossers (in the literal sense of rubbish).

Generally speaking - using my same above rule of thumb - the tossers (again the literal sense) who just wanna have a party and deface everything and not a care in the world about what their actions result in for others, wouldn't really make it through to being able to get the info of where such and such spot is. Likely they'd give up yheir enquiry as soon as Sir Google didn't provide them the definitive answer from one or 2 searches!...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I think you all don't realise that the tossers are not stupid. You are stereotyping them as people who cannot use google/forums/youtube/whatever to find places. They can and they will and they do. The venn diagrams of idiots have all sorts of intersection.

We should be inspiring as many people as we can to follow us. We owe it to our species to set a good example and not hide our wares away selfishly for only us to explore. By some of these arguments I should delete most of my blogs (although I doubt anyone would be inspired after reading my disasters). Why make the countryside hard? Why not make it aspirational and accessible and stop the excuses for sitting on your fat butt watching youtube all day. I'm probably in a minority but I want more people out there not less.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

As most of you know I put video's up on YT. My reasons are:
1) To inspire people to get out there
2) For future viewing for myself when/if I can't get out anymore
3) To show how wonderful the area is
4) Because I really enjoy making bike films

*If you're seen my latest film in 'A Tough Old Slog', I doubt very much the rabble would get that far as they'd have given up way before! :lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We owe it to our species to set a good example and not hide our wares away selfishly for only us to explore.
Completely agree Dave. However, in some cases I don't see a good example being set and it's that that scares me.
Why make the countryside hard?
I don't believe anyone wants to make it hard but I do believe that when something is too easy it can soon be devalued.
I'm probably in a minority but I want more people out there not less.
Me too but I want respectful, considerate people. I hope education is the key and yes, that can be done via videos, blogs, books, magazines and social media posts but they also have the power to destroy.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

So let's swamp the bad examples with good ones.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So let's swamp the bad examples with good ones.
Totally. If we go back to Allen's question, then yes, post the videos and inspire the world to explore and appreciate their natural surroundings but there's no need to spoon feed them with instant gratification and custard. Furnishing the world with exact locations, detailed directions and routes is to deny them the joy of discovery both physical and self.

Right, I'll STFU now :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think there's a difference between encouraging people to generally get out there and encouraging people to a specific place. There's an argument that by highlighting a spot that you enjoyed finding, and which may indeed appeal by its very solitude and remoteness, that you actually rob future visitors of the same pleasure you had! Which is the opposite effect of what you're hoping for (edit: I've typed this and then noticed Stu already said more or less same thing ho hum).

I did a lot of 'conservation' work in my younger days. At first it was split between 'public access' work (paths, stiles, signs etc) and 'nature' work (tree planting, ponds, nest boxes etc). Eventually the powers that be deemed the access stuff 'better use of resources' and almost stopped the nature things and I gave up.

Obviously access work for less able people who otherwise would have no access at all is nice, but I thought if people couldn't make a bit of effort themselves then why should I put myself out. Selfish elitism maybe but I don't think so.

The 'Secret Bothy' thread was an interesting case in point.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Wow...

I guess we will leave this thread there. Many thanks for the comments.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just re-read my last post and when I said "you" I meant "one" - not aiming at anybody! :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

This is fun. Why stop?
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Intriguing thread. Why would there be any issue with a video showing a grassy flat area near a lake, and this encouraging the masses to go and destroy all around them, when they can go onto Amazon/Waterstones/Foyles and buy this lot, most of which contain grid references, what to take lists and even how to do it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/short ride ... way&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bikepacking-Mo ... way&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Cycling-p ... way&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Bothy-Pho ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scottish-Bothy ... ay&sr=8-27

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gravel-Cycling ... ay&sr=8-44

And honestly, there are quadzillion others! I would have thought make the videos as public as possible, allow comments and demonstrate how it's done considerately, well and with a minimum impact.