strava. yay or nay?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

strava. yay or nay?

Post by ton »

used strava for the last few years. not that i am competative obviously, but just to log my miles.
but i ride roughly the same miles week in week out.

today, my phone did a update/download thing, and deleted all my strava miles/ride.
very odd.

but, it had become a bit of a bind, logging on before each ride, saving after.

so, to strava or not?

and how else can i keep track of my miles?
ScotRoutes

Re: strava. yay or nay?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Your Strava miles aren't on your phone. They're on the Strava servers. Have you tried logging into your account from somewhere else to see them? I can see them as I Follow you on Strava.

Edit: just had a look. All your activities are missing :o I'd drop Strava an email and ask them what's happened. They should be able to re-instate them for you.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I don't use my phone for recording trips. I use my Garmin Oregon for big trips and a Garmin Watch for shorter ones. With the Oregon, I have to plug it in and upload the rides with my PC. With the watch, it all happens in the background. When I stop the ride, I just "Save" on the watch. That then syncs (via my phone) to Garmin Connect and that automatically sends it to Strava. It's very seamless.

If you're not interested in where you've been or how fast you went then just fit a standard bike computer.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I use Strava for pretty much the same reasons.

I want to be able to recall, download, share and re-ride rides that I've done throughout the years and it's a handy way to log everything as well as keep track of the numbers so that I know if I'm loosely riding as much, more or less than in years past etc...

Got less than zero sh1ts to give about the competitive aspect of it all and so no loyalty to the platform other than its all already on there.

Hope you get data back as that'd be bloody annoying if they've deleted everything.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Makes me think it might be worth having a local backup of the Strava stuff too

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... ulk-Export
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm wondering weather to strava or not. I'm sure most on here will agree, it's less about average speeds showing off to people, more just generally showing people what we all get up to.

That being said, if you upload a 7 mile ride, that took almost 3 hours, other non bikepacking strava-ites don't really see it as an achievement.

There is however the option to make private, in which case, don't strava it. When I done Jennride in one go, up it went on Strava, but nobody really cared despite me being immensely proud of it. 23 hours elapsed time and 17 hours moving time doesn't translate into anything the standard strava user will relate to.

I'm thinking I'll find another app next year, without the social aspect of it as its all comparing sizes of manhood on it.

If you've lost your rides, you've still done them, you still sweated you ass off to get where you got on those rides.

I was addicted to Strava, I do like seeing badges when I'm faster than other times I've been on that same ride,

2020 could be me coming off it all together. I like the little well done you video at the end of the year though.

Tough one, more personal choice, but I do agree strava is crap. I'm just used to logging it all. Maybe Komoot will be the one going forward.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I like it, mainly to track myself against myself.

I ride road with a chap (when away with work) who has live segments on his wahoo. You can tell when a segment he want comes up as he will start drafting on hills then pop out and sprint the segment. Seems odd to me but it motivates him so what do I care.

If you dont like it, theres plenty of other options. Go private (I only show about 75% of my rides) Garmin connect, excel etc etc
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I use Garmin Connect

Strava is feature limited compared with Garmin Connect unless one is willing to pay for the premium

Never quite seen the point of Strava
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I just log my rides on a spreadsheet. Isn't strava just another way of handing over your personal details to another private company?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Been using it since 2014. Am pretty happy with it as it allowed me to find some other riders over the hedge who I'd never have met...

The dilemma of should I or should I not is a constant one and am always impressed with people who just get on and do their own thing... But then when I see the big ITT rides and the sort, it encourages me to ride farther and better (our description of better and not the standard roadie definition of, "dont look up... stay streamlined... keep trying to bury your face into the mans/ladies butt ahead of you and concentrate on braking in time cos you'll get a good average speed of 21mph plus".... "and dont crash nastily whilst your at it as there's gonna be a pile up")...

Have met a lot of people through it (did I say that already :o ) some likeable and some not so much...

I think it all came to a head the other week/month. When I did probably what was my toughest ride thus far (it was Wales... probably/possibly past BB Towers even) which entailed 110 miles road over 11000ft climbing. Elan Velo in which I goy to see the stunning views of Wales and the Cambrians a bit better (than gping to isolated Welsh trails centres way back when). Some proper climsb and some proper scenery. Post ride though, instead of posting it up on Strava I deleted it by accident. What a breath of fresh aie that was and I felt free. Lile back in the days where we'd ride the bike with the bike computer to log the miles, enjoy the scenery, and the memory of the ride was in the head (and maybe a couple of pics).

After that I think I've decided. Next big major ride (like an ITT such as Peaks200 or whatnot) I'm gonna accidently press delete :-bd and breath a sigh of fresh air.

Sorry if that sounds wierd... All the segment chasing (against my self as I never was fast enough to beat anyones time) and constant monitoring before and after of strava etc was becoming a bit burdensome and now -maybe not quite as good a ratio of 25/75 as Daves - slowly am managing to get out the grasps of it (Strava) and... erm... get my life back :lol: :roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm interested in total distance over the year etc. and it's interesting to see if my performance on certain sections and rides is improving. I see that as being just like weighing yourself if on a diet. But VeloViewer is the thing that makes sense of Strava data (for me). It's mostly about that ongoing log of all my rides and being encouraged to visit new places in search of elusive Explorer squares. I've found all sorts of hidden treasures that I'd have ridden by otherwise.

The social aspect is interesting as I see where folk I know have been and I have the chance to ask them about their rides, the good bits, the bits to be avoided etc. and they do the same with me.

Documenting equipment changes also gives me a log of how long components are lasting.

Oh - and I don't really care if Strava knows where I've been.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I use it a lot, for either competing against myself or just tracking mileage. I combine it with veloviewer to give me interesting info about where I've ridden. I tend to use my phone to track as it's easy, makes it easy to add photos for the memories too

I don't track everything as I do a lot of local short errands on the bike that are only a few miles, but nearly all other rides get tracked
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I use it all the time to track activities for my own interest and see others stuff for some inspiration and motivation to explore and get out at times.

Another major use when planning trips is the route builder and heat maps.

I really have no interest in segments or KOM, largely as I'm not fast enough to be interested/competitive. Though I have fallen in to the trap of feeling rubbish seeing people do 'epic' rides that I'm not capable of, but that's about me.

The elevate plug in is useful to me too from time to time as I have to watch my tiredness levels with a history of CFS/ME, though being that sort of person I'm also liable to ignore it.

It's a bugger that all that data has been lost, though for me it would be just a big annoyance rather than anything else. I've swapped phones, uninstalled, reinstalled, logged in and out and never had that issue. I did have it failing to save activities when I'd done them for a while, which was annoying, but that seems to have been resolved.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And just for balance - nay. I do have an account but never use it. I don't like to keep track of my life or 'achievements' by stats and records or comparison, I much prefer to simply rely on how I feel when I wake up each morning and go to bed each night.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Currently a user. But finding myself increasingly aligned with wot he just said👆👆
Last edited by Piemonster on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I use it, have done since 2014, and I find it's useful for keeping track of mileage etc, but I am quite competitive against both me and others. I can see in another few years I might lose interest in it, and whilst I bought some of the premium packages this year I don't use them and won't renew.

It's horses for courses. Use it or don't , as long as you enjoy riding your bike it matters not.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Veloviewer squares :-bd the only reason I use it.
I found ridewithgps a better ride logging tool and good for navigation as well.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Strava user here, but in the last 8 weeks I choose to only have about 50 - 60 % shown or recorded. Just not so bothered with taking my gps along at the moment. I never use the phone for recording... so... meh...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I use it but it was for a case of logging mileage for changing chains and cassettes ect ,but I'm now coming to the conclusion of just running things into the ground and then replacing them all together ,don't think there's much in the cost difference and as for reliability if I'm planning a long ride and I've had the bits on a while just replace early ,not really a fan of any kind of social media ,never had Facebook Twitter or anything else ,my life is interesting to me so don't really care about showing it to everyone for their thoughts on it ,( think im at that time in life where I find I care really care what people think of me and it's too much hard work to entertain some people,sh1t I'm turning into my father :shock: )
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm a fan. It's a really good way of logging your data and (as I've probably said a load of times) currently the best route creator by far.

I'm not massively interested in the timed segment aspect of it but it's an interesting way of seeing how fit you are/were at any particular time.
slarge wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:37 am It's horses for courses. Use it or don't , as long as you enjoy riding your bike it matters not.
Perfectly put. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've been using Strava since around October 2012. To begin with it was very much KOMs and beating your mates (in the best possible way of course!) but most of my biking at the time was road based. Now it's mostly simple logging of rides which is mainly allied to Veloviewer and Explorer squares. Unless I'm very particular and targeted I rarely bother the leaderboard of any segment these days or even my own best times. :oops: Gear usage is useful as well - stick a new component on a bike, add it to the gear for that bike in Strava and you get a better idea of how long things last. Yes you could do the latter in a spreadsheet or a notebook but ...

Things like the heat map are useful if you are considering lesser ridden trails.

If I was starting out now other than the Veloviewer tie-up I'm not sure I'd bother with Strava and probably use something else.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

Just saw a notice on Strava saying that they're having slow server issues and that some stuff isn't working at the minute and do maybe that's why everything disappeared???
RIP

Post by RIP »

Wasn't gonna break cover as a 'nay' but Stu has so I'll hide behind his coat-tails and for exactly the same reasons. Just the two of us then but I'm at ease with that - enjoy the day and live the next one anew for itself :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Nay from me too.

Stopped using it a couple of years ago as I couldn't see any personal benefit.

And I'm an anti-social bugger.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:48 pm Wasn't gonna break cover as a 'nay' but Stu has so I'll hide behind his coat-tails and for exactly the same reasons. Just the two of us then but I'm at ease with that - enjoy the day and live the next one anew for itself :smile: .
Reg... we all already knew that :-bd :smile: (or at least figured it)