Slovenia / Croatia intel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Slovenia / Croatia intel

Post by gairym »

With me starting full-time education again for a whole year in September (and so pretty much no chance of any multi-day trips for a year) I managed to convinced Mrs Gairy that it was only fair and reasonable for me to sneak in a 3 day short break this week while the kids are at summer camp.

So.....in true 'kick the arse out of any opportunity' style I've plotted a gravel-tastic route that goes from North East Italy, through Slovenia, into Croatia and then back again via a different set of trails (have planned a long ~350km option for if it's dry AND my back holds up and a shorter ~250km option if not).

I've never been to either country and am hoping that there might be folk on here who have and who've some wisdom to offer up by way of intel about how things work, road/driver assessments, pitfalls to look out for, cultural/culinary highlights not to miss etc... which might make all the difference on a short trip like this???

Please refrain from offering massively helpful comments along the lines that I'm a lucky mother flipper as I am very much aware of just how lucky I am to have this last minute option on my doorstep (well, a six hour drive away but you get the point).

So anyone been and care to share?

Cheers, Gairy.
sean_iow

Re: Slovenia / Croatia intel

Post by sean_iow »

I've not been (which I know is no help) but I saw Alan Goldsmith went to Slovenia earlier this year. It looked amazing on his instagram. He's occasionally on here or you could pm him. I think he's AlanG on here.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
gairym

Post by gairym »

Thanks dude, I'll give him a shout...
Mike

Post by Mike »

Alan did the slovenia loop off bikepacking.com, considering it next year as a week trip. Looks good but also hard. Gairy can you send me your gpx of route once youve done it please pal as im lookong for some other options for next spring :)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Mike,

Will do!

Mine is a 3 day/part loop from/to Trieste (Italy) and goes from there to Rijeka (Croatia) and then either heads up to Ljubljana (capital of Slovenia) or across to Novigrad (Croatia) and then back to Trieste.

I'm hoping to do the longer Slovenia route but I'm being cautious with my back so we'll see.

I'll ride what I ride and then send you what I've got :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks buddy, sounds like a nice 3 dayer
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Watching as I also hope to do a similar thing in early September. Dolomites / Slovenia; currently in Austria, but on the wrong route!
bobs

Post by bobs »

I've done a bit of cycle touring in the Istra. Worth considering is Parenzana trail.

https://www.cyclingslovenia.com/short-t ... rt-istrian
to Novagrad and Pula then on to Rijeka. From there it's an easy return to Ljubljana. Roads, drivers , food and accommodation are great. You will have a great time.

Bob
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

My friend Claire Frecknall went to Slovenia and I’m pretty sure did a blog about her trip. Have a search and I will ask here for a link.
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

Went to Slovenia about 15 years ago. Went from Trieste to Soca Valley over Vsic pass to Bled, quick blip into Austria and then onto Maribor. It was ace, lots of mountain huts to stay in or nice campsites friendly people, food and culture quite Italian so good coffee. Beer was either the red one or the green one, locals all had a preference, both tasted like larger to me!!Image

gairym

Post by gairym »

Evening all (from Slovenia),

So things went sideways from the start with me really (REALLY!) suffering with the heat (and other nonsense).

But I adapted my plans and re-jigged things so that I've had / am having a bloody lovely time in this stunning part of the world.

Riding back up into Italy tomorrow and then driving home.

But I'll be back in the area as soon as circumstances allow as it's a thoroughly lovely place to explore by bike!!!

Possible trip-report to follow.....

Cheers, Gairy.