A bit of advice if you wouldn't mind bike/frame ramblings

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

A bit of advice if you wouldn't mind bike/frame ramblings

Post by firestarter »

I've decided pretty much I want a px london road as i want something for on the road and a bit of bridleway stuff
Now my dilemma is I have a brand new boardman hybrid but it's too big really and it's been in my shed for 2 years it has tiagra flat bar build and is mint but I'm in a dither as to what's best

I was going to buy a frame and sti and trp spyre used and build a bike but i've been offered a london road fairly local with rival 22 and hydro brakes and wtb tbs rims so itll be a better build than I can do for about 150 more than I'd spend stripping my boardman and I could try sell my boardman to make it equal but and here's the big problem I have

If I build my own I can switch between drop bars and my crazy bar as I have stuff for that already and If I have trp spyre and sti it's a simple job

But is the breaking of hydro and shifting of rival so much better that it's worth not being able to switch to crazy or flat bars if I fancy it
Christ that's some rambling sorry :)
jamiep

Re: A bit of advice if you wouldn't mind bike/frame ramblings

Post by jamiep »

Ive Rival hydro on my road bike, which are significantly better (both power and modulation/feel) than the three different cable discs I also have (Shim CX on CX bike; BB7 on gravel bike; low end Shim on commuter bike)
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I have from my old mtb Pauls love levers and bb7mtn which were always fine and I've been offered a set of tiagra sti, which I need as my mechs are funny 4700 series ones, and trp spyre with mud covers which I'm led to believe are decent too and I like the idea of easy maintenance on cables

But hydro do seem to be fit and forget, although I did have a set of trp hylex a few years back that felt great but seemed to get contaminated regularly on the road , now I dont know if it was crap from the road or some kind of seepage but it was annoying
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I have rival hydro's in the Camino with flared drops. Best of both worlds. Brakes are very powerful and I've never had to do anything to them apart from replace the pads.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like cable operated discs and friction bar-end shifters because it means that (a) it's easy to change bars and (b) I can run any combination of gearing that I fancy without worrying whether mech A works with chain C if I'm using shifter Y.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

firestarter wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:32 pm But is the breaking of hydro and shifting of rival so much better that it's worth not being able to switch to crazy or flat bars if I fancy it
Christ that's some rambling sorry :)
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:48 pm I like cable operated discs and friction bar-end shifters because it means that (a) it's easy to change bars and
Well you can actually change hydraulic brakes quick with the Connectamajig hose coupler for the Reverb Stealth.
Goes with brakes to. Obviously.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

That was kinda my thinking bear , I have tiagra shifters but I'd rather have some friction ones actually for the crazy bars but not sure how I'd use them on drops unless the same shifters fit in the end of drops mmm...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The shifters should fit in the ends of the drops without any trouble - they may also fit in the end of the Crazy bar extensions - TT style?
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I think they would actually I was just thinking they may mount to a bar clamp too , and I'm I right in thinking a friction shifter will work with any mech at all thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm I right in thinking a friction shifter will work with any mech at all thanks
Yep, should work with anything. My Dia-compe ones do.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

:-bd best I get looking thanks
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Oh it appears I could use v brake drop levers and use my current bb7 mtn and save money there too if I get separate shifters:)
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

In a slight turn around to my final thoughts, I was offered 220 for my boardman so sold it and got the london road rival 22 hydro with wtb tubeless rims for 480 so I had to go with that I'd be silly not to, perhaps lol seems spot on :)