A question of shoes (mid/boots actually)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

A question of shoes (mid/boots actually)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Am in the market for some new mtb boots...

Last mtb boots I bought were the Five10 Guide tennie in goretex and ankle versioned. They were absoultely vaguely exciting...

Now am back looking for some decent boots (primarily for winter but they might aswell do the job for the BB200 aswell so hence an all 4ound kind of thing)...

Narrowed it down to, well, the Five10 Guide Tennies again which they probably dont make anymore. Could go for the Adidas Terrex (which Reg spoke highly of previously as they are good for the pedals as well as HAB) but they're not really waterresistant at all (I know... waterproof and at some point water will get in but remember I'm looking from an all round angle and multi season/discipline use so they will work well for the winter road epic/expedition for example)...

Over to you.... whats your thoughts... Have you any approach shoes in a dark corner which are in mint condition and need a new home and happen to be goretex things...

Whats your thoughts on sizing of Adidazlers (previously I've been a 10 in Five10 and a 10.5 in Adidas... but prior to that I think I would be a 10.5 in the older Five10s: like the Impact)...

All that remains is a :-bd thanks...
benp1

Re: A question of shoes (mid/boots actually)

Post by benp1 »

Size up for adidas terrex

I have walking shoes and mtb shoes from them

But my winter mtb boots are merrell fabric waterproof walking boots. Comfy and good for hike a bike
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Winter boots are a pair of mammut B2 climbing boots ,bit over kill but as I can't climb anymore I may aswell get use out of them ,good to around -15 according to the spec all I can say is toasty warm and feet very dry ,be careful with gortex because once the water is in it stays in
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I tend to wear Merrell Moab mid shoe/boot all year because that is all I have and they were in a sale when I was looking.
They are excellent right up to the time when the Goretex fails then it is like wearing sponges.
I started looking at Keen as they do 'water shoes' but cant get my head round having open shoes with socks.
Crocs do the same thing are cheaper and work ok in the summer if you are touring not out in the mountains.
Merrell have just introduced something called Choprock :???: which has good reviews.
It appears to be an enclosed shoe for hiking in damp places and is self draining if you believe the marketing.
I would also look at the off road running shoe/boot as they seem to have explored the wet/dry feet conundrum of do you go waterproof and fill up with water or wet and let the foot movement pump it out?
Having experienced both I think I would still go for the keep dry as long as possible approach. You can always carry a spare pair of socks. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Maybe consider Shimano xm9

Bought a pair [*] for bb200
Last year’s event destroyed my mtb shoes, and want better ankle support for the inevitable HaB
Tick most of the boxes described above
More hiking boot than cycling boot
Vibram sole
Full rand
Full goretex
Hiking boot type lacing
Elastic for holding the laces, nice touch
Stiff sole, so good for cycling and hiking

In Shimano footwear typically take a 46, had to downsize to a 45

Seem to be on sale at most shops, and many shops out of stock on some sizes
Maybe being discontinued?

—-
[*] been so impressed bought a second pair
redefined_cycles

Thanks all....

Yup, there is the issue of goretex becoming boatlike but like stated above, the feeling of dryness before you get to that point (which i reached in December Rapha500 2018 I think... but only cos the shoes were old enough to be allowing water in from the membrane somewhere) is well worth it... I seem to remember -Dec2018 - that when the wet cold became unbearable I just stopped, changed socks and plastic bagged my feet from the shoes. Over the next 50 or so road miles it was a pleasant journey (since the 5 hour downpour was well behind me)...

Asposium, thanks for the SM9 suggestion but my feet didn't really get on with some standard shoes versions of them previously...

Am currently in the dept of goretex ankle length trail shoes (summat like this as the budget seems reasonable https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino ... ing-shoes/ )... Other option is the Adidas equivalents but except for the Terrex Protect all other trail run versions seem to have a mesh up... Mesh upper on my FiveTen access would get a little caught in pedal pins (granted it was a proper summer type mesh)...

Feel free to throw any other boots on here that might catch your eye. Budget being around £90 which I'll hopefully have earned by tonight after a few fleabay sales and the Rouleur mags being sold...

As a backdrop to my mindset. I always do try and get work boots or dailies to ensure I can use end up using for winter cycling with flatties. Unfortunately my current option of Clarks goretex aren't really happy on pedals (overly stiff... maybe Clarks don't know how to make walking boots afterall!!)

So I reckon
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

I have a pair of Northwave Gran Canion which I bought second hand off Ebay but they don't fit me. Size 43/9.5, virtually unused/new, just slight mud on sole, with Shimano cleats. I am normally size 9-9.5 but these are too tight so need to size up. £55 posted if they are useful to someone.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I generally wear trail shoes for MTB (Salomon suit my feet) and have some 5.10 kestrels (got a sale bargain) for road/gravel bike which I really like. The kestrels are fine for not too extreme HAB.

Just got some goretex Salomon mids for work and I think they'll be great for the MTB too. I'll wear goretex shoes if its just a day ride, but normally wear free draining trail shoes for more than a day to avoid the sloshy bog foot if they do get wet.
redefined_cycles

So it appears the question now (after reading of the discussion) would be: to goretex/waterproof or not to goretex...

I guess goretex (in my exp) would be more comfy on the usual extended wet rides (obviously so long as I'm covered from above down to below ankles- which I will be) so will see whats available...

If anyone else sees anything decent that they reckon is stiff soled enough and decent for HAB as well as sticky enough soled, do please tell :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

XM9 if you can get them to fit you (they are a bit narrow). Good support and grip and good for extreme hike a bike.....
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:05 pm XM9 if you can get them to fit you (they are a bit narrow). Good support and grip and good for extreme hike a bike.....
I've done the deed.. Managed to find some Five Ten Guide Tennie ankle lengths. Non goretex (my previous were and lasted me almost 3 years) and only £55... Discontinued almost everywhere and on fleabay people trying to make a killing by selling at £130 (original rrp was 110)...

Now... Just how exaclty I'm gonna get to Stockton GoOutdoors to collect em is another matter :shock: 140 miler round trip...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Not directly connected to Redefined Cycles OP but I recently watched an interesting clip from Sea Otter about the upcoming changes to Fiveten's range (as a result of their continued assimilation into the Adidas conglomerate). It looks like there is a Fiveten badged hybrid in the 2020 range which features Stealth rubber sole with an area for pedal interface similar to existing Fivetens but a more heavy tread at heel and toe for HAB. Also features mesh construction to allow quicker drying from the inevitable soakings and is available in mid height as well as shoe. I love my Fivetens for trail riding but don't use them for longer trips due to the lack of grip on mud and the fact that they soak up so much water, these new ones sound like they'll address both those issues. I checked Fiveten's website at the time but there were no details of the 2020 range at that point but I'll certainly be keeping a look out for these.
techno

Post by techno »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:10 pm Not directly connected to Redefined Cycles OP but I recently watched an interesting clip from Sea Otter about the upcoming changes to Fiveten's range (as a result of their continued assimilation into the Adidas conglomerate). It looks like there is a Fiveten badged hybrid in the 2020 range which features Stealth rubber sole with an area for pedal interface similar to existing Fivetens but a more heavy tread at heel and toe for HAB. Also features mesh construction to allow quicker drying from the inevitable soakings and is available in mid height as well as shoe. I love my Fivetens for trail riding but don't use them for longer trips due to the lack of grip on mud and the fact that they soak up so much water, these new ones sound like they'll address both those issues. I checked Fiveten's website at the time but there were no details of the 2020 range at that point but I'll certainly be keeping a look out for these.
was the sole like these: https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/shoes/adi ... oes-review
redefined_cycles

Jurassic... Nope, very totally relevant for my search aswell so thanks for that... TechnoMail... Them Adidas were another one on the radar. Now that (unfortunately) the Fiveten Guide Tennie sale from GoOutdoors fell through I'm back to seeking and am thinking the Adidas with ankle protection might just be on the radar (probably need to sell a couple more thibgs first)...

Reason why I went with the Guide Tennie is cos the non goretex version (I had the goretex version before and was extremely fond of them but then I dont see as many dipped in rivers as the rest of everyone here) was also highly spoke of on the Bikepackin.com site... I never had realised that my choice was so on their top list so if its not broken etc etc.

Anyway. Search continues and the new fiveten sound interesting. Wonder when they'd be out and if they'll come in a ankle hieght version.

NB. When the missus saw I had bought some yellow fiveten i was in bother and would have needed to buy another set anyway cos apparently yellow (gold actually) dont go well with everyday trousers etc :lol: )... Am sure she'll approve the Adidas Terrex
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

techno mail wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:22 pm was the sole like these: https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/shoes/adi ... oes-review
Yeah I think it was, possibly just a rebranded Terrex then. I'm wracking my brains trying to remember what the video was so that I could share it. :roll:
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 pm
techno mail wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:22 pm was the sole like these: https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/shoes/adi ... oes-review
Yeah I think it was, possibly just a rebranded Terrex then. I'm wracking my brains trying to remember what the video was so that I could share it. :roll:
Heres the info relating to that what you mentioned Jurassic:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/22/fivete ... reeriders/

Would be interesting to see the vid though... look to be getting released 'not yet' though...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:52 pm
Jurassic wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 pm
Heres the info relating to that what you mentioned Jurassic:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/22/fivete ... reeriders/

Would be interesting to see the vid though... look to be getting released 'not yet' though...
Excellent work rc! :-bd Yes those are the ones I saw and I really like the look of them in the photos, I definitely see a pair in my future. I've trawled right back through my Youtube viewing history in an attempt to locate the elusive video, no luck yet but the search goes on!!!! :lol: