What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by benp1 »

I like that bike, a lot. I was briefly tempted when they were on sale but reality hit when I realised it's too similar to what I have already

Nice paint job too
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Not today exactly, but last night...

Destroyed the drivetrain on my full-sus. I'd let the chain wear too far (way too far :oops: ) without realising and replaced it a couple of weeks ago. New chain played nicely with the old cassette but outer chainring slipping. Neglected to order a new chainring til Monday (mainly through dismay at the cost of a stamped metal disc - £70 for a direct replacement, £20 for Deore equivalent).

Went riding anyway. 100 yards into the first trail, the chain slips off. Should have just stopped, but tried to rescue it by shifting into the small chainring. Somehow the chain ended up twisted round itself, and the mech pulled back round above the cassette.

So that's a new mech, new hanger, and probably new chain I'll be needing :cry: All my own fault.

Oh, and that was the only night I can remember ever forgetting my toolkit, and I was "that guy." :oops:

Still, at least I've found a penchant for singlespeeding after years of decrying it and lauding the invention of the derailleur.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Question is, what has my bike done to me.

Fist sized bruise on inside of thigh. A proper haematoma. Lumpy, pain- and colourful.
Had a sketchy two wheel drift on post thunder storm dirt followed by a natural jump to flat I should stop doing. Slammed the saddle right into my leg.

Had 3 post work gin & tonics with colleagues (each brought their fav) and am now ready to ride back home. Let's see if I can give the bike back some beating...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Printed a seat tube shim to run the carbon Easton Haven 27.2 seat post in the 31.6 Vir Fortis. And wore out the last bit of front brake pad on the Vir Fortis at QECP.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Riding too thin and slippery rubber, I thought I could add some...

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Switched the Fargo to Nobby Nic’s, new brake pads and arranged the bags for a re attempt of the B150 ITT on Friday.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

So. In prep for Tuesday groupstart (theres 2 of us :-bd ) for the Peaks200 ITT I nweded to get ready Stan (the Sonder). Bit steessed as its my first one and was feel8ng under the weather (too much ice cream post yesterdays commute which I did deserve cos it was 80 miles but the IC sits on my chest :o ).

Got the biy ready by adding the Revelate harnes and bag to the bars (have I got the orientation of the strap buckle right? in pic 2). Am hoping the mtbBatts light won't be too covered by the shadow of the harness/bag/fr9nt bag thingy)

This ones the pic of the light sticking out over the bar bag :sad: Image Hope it gives me enough light in combo with headtorch

Then gave rhe chain a bit of a once over with the Viking Juice All conditions (without cleaning it properly obviously... like you do). Was too much grinding of grit in between links so took Stan out to give a proper run through with the chain bath. Cleaned, wiped, brought back in :-bd

Just so I've got it clear in my head (and feel free to remind/tell me what a numpty I am)...

Food in that bag attached to harness up front:

Some waterproof electrics inside the toptube welded bag and some inside a waterproof double sealed (edit: actually they should go inside the revelate drybag upfront :-bd ) bag inside frame bag...

Water in 2L camelbac inside framebag: unfortunately the hose isnt long enough so might have to run it in top compartment of the WC Leopard. Waterproof jacket and pants inside framebag. Along with some spare socks and boxers (but probablt can leave them in car for afters).

Tools inside 1L saddlebag which to my joy works well with the dropper (I reckon I might be able to push that to a 2 or 3L waterproof saddlepack but just need to decide what).

Revelate drybag upfront has the sleeping mat and PHD bag (from Ian Fitz and was one of my first purchases on here and now holds historical significance to me - Ian invented the Peaks200 I beleive)....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think you'll find that light placement will be a problem. You'll not only be hiding half of the trail in front, but the light bouncing off the bag will be a distraction.

The Harness straps look quite a lot different to mine. Must be a later model. Are they snugged up as tight as they will go? It looks like there's a lot of gap in photo 2. That'll lead to a lot of bouncing. Might need more of those rubber spacers (though see my next point).

The angle of your brake/gear levers was fashionable about 5-10 years ago. Flattening them out a bit should give you fewer bag/lever abrasion issues. (Also - have a test ride with the loaded Harness in place. There's a chance that the additional stress on the cables could affect your gear changing).

In my experience, that front bag isn't waterproof. I'd make sure anything you have in it is bagged up properly if you want it to stay dry. I've upgraded mine to a Yakataga. Overkill for most purposes but fully submersible, which is handy if you are packrafting.

What's the black/green velcro over the stem attached to?
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that Colin...

Them levers I mormally have rotated enough that I dony get 'back of the hand pain' and thumb pain from the shifter... Jusy checked and it seems I did overdo it a bit and there's scope for making em a bit more level without losing yhe angle of the hands too much...

Front bag: do you mean the extra pouch or the actual drybag?? If its the main drybag (Revelate, be ashamed.. but we'll let you off cos everything else is so well thought out) then I will have to swap it out for my alpkit 8L...

Yes. There is a gap between them spacer and the bar but I think it cos the cables are restricting a little. Once shifter/levers rotate it might give me more ability for harness to come closer to bars (oh... actually I think its the light)...

Light: will het the out front stem mount for the light off other bike and swap em over.

The green velcro strap is 2 velcros put together (save me cutting another section of green) and it'll have the camelback hose looped through it for retaining purposes (but eventually I plan to bug a magnet to put on stem and hose so they can marry each other once I've had a sip/sup...

:-bd more fettling tomorrow it seems...

Oh. I also managed to DWR the Crikey, how much hloves again with some splodge on nikwax (then ironong the gloves and seems to have given a lease of life)...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The drybag should be waterproof (it's in the name... :grin: ). The front pouch, less so.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:56 pm The drybag should be waterproof (it's in the name... :grin: ). The front pouch, less so.
Phew... I got confused thinking you were thinking that I was...... ahem. Anyway. Thats name ypu just gave me: good stuff and I'll put it on my 'needs' list. Ypu can never have too many waterproof bags can ya :grin:
redefined_cycles

Added some street cred to my front end (and some extra sweep :-bd )

Some some Stooge bars. Cut down to 770mm.
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:55 pm Image
Nice barends Shafiq :-bd
I'm really pleased with the way mine are placed. I found them really comfy with a bit more of an upward angle and a double wrap of tape.

Edit: those are actually exactly the same barends I have on my of bars. Nice narrow clamp which helps when getting them round the bend!
redefined_cycles

techno mail wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:55 pm Image
Nice barends Shafiq :-bd
I'm really pleased with the way mine are placed. I found them really comfy with a bit more of an upward angle and a double wrap of tape.

Edit: those are actually exactly the same barends I have on my of bars. Nice narrow clamp which helps when getting them round the bend!
Thanks for the feedback. You mwntion getting them past the bend?? You mean you managwd to get yours further in board than whats pictured.

I only managed to squeeze them just as far are where the bar starts bending but would have liked em in a little more as the shimano brake levers get in the way of a full hand-hold without my hands pad tpuching the brakes... Thats why I had to rotate the levers down more than I'd like :-bd will try and push the barends a bit further in: thanks for the idea did you manage to get them
redefined_cycles

After reading TechoMails post above I decided I need to try harder. Swung on the bar ends a little (something I wouldbt have tried before with the csrbon bars) and managed to get em further inboard.. Thanks buddy :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:38 pm After reading TechoMails post above I decided I need to try harder. Swung on the bar ends a little (something I wouldbt have tried before with the csrbon bars) and managed to get em further inboard.. Thanks buddy :-bd
:-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Those who have ridden with me may have noticed from stream of expletives that I’ve never been entirely happy with the shifting performance of my Fargo,, while I consider it to be my perfect bike the dropbars limit choices in both brakes and drivetrains. The brakes were sorted with a pair of Hope’s superb RX4 callipers, the gear performance is another matter, I’ve tried new cables and an upgrade to a force rear mech and still my sons deore shifts better.

So today I fitted an eagle XX1 rear mech and a microshift bar end shifter, I’m running it in friction mode with the 11 speed cassette at the moment but will fit the 12 speed 10-50 eagle cassette when funds allow.

So far it’s all good, shifting is quiet and fast, being able to dump lots of gears in one quick sweep is great, the only negative is due to the long drop section on the woodchippers I have to move my hand a long way from my primary position in the drops. I’ll give it some time but if I don’t get used to it then I’ll chop a little off the ends, I rarely use the full length anyway. As a one bike person the 500% range of the eagle will be useful, I’ve done a few long road rides recently chasing veloviewer squares and run out of top end a few times. I run a 28t chainring which gives a 19.5” low gear and a 81” top. With the big cog I can gain a bit on both ends.

Happy with the results :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

serviced my pikes - the 454 bought of ton in about 2006 !
Air chamber span so needed to cut a screwdriver head in it to undo the bolt
Oil and foam rings replaced and now good as new

Only 5 more forks to go
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Sorting out mystery noises this week. BB creaking on the mountain bike so cleaned, regreased and assembled tightly leaving me a smooth and silent bike. Then realised (at the bottom of the big hill I live on, on the way to work) that I'd forgotten to replace the front pads and they were down to the backing... Now that's a nasty noise!

Gravel/cx bike next... Another creaking BB area, hopefully chainring bolts, and rattling internal cables in the downtube to sort tonight.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Going slightly against the grain....

Stuck a Vorsprung Smashpot coil conversion in the Lyrik and mounted a boat anchor Fox DHX5 coil on the rear, using a Bikeyoke 6.1.

I then threw it in the back of a mates van and waved it off to the Alps where I'll meet it on Sunday.... damn I'm looking forward to that.

Redefined, be interested in your feedback on the Transmitter as a mule.

Love mine to bits, a truly engaging ride in trail bike mode.

I'm secretly hoping for a rough and ready BB200 so I have an excuse to strap stuff to it for (very hopefully) a shade under 24 hours.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Needed a mount to attach my dynamo light to the front of a truss fork, I wasn't keen to mount it on the bars as it'll get in the way of bar bags and generally make it less tidy. No mounts available that I could find so I made one myself out of an old crank arm.

Firstly did some sawing

Then some drilling

Then some drilling, tapping, sawing, filing and sanding and it seems to work! much more solid than it needs to be so maybe I'll trim some metal off or drill some weight saving holes in it. Quite happy with the result anyway :-bd
redefined_cycles

Mbnut wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:53 am Redefined, be interested in your feedback on the Transmitter as a mule.

Love mine to bits, a truly engaging ride in trail bike mode.

I'm secretly hoping for a rough and ready BB200 so I have an excuse to strap stuff to it for (very hopefully) a shade under 24 hours.
I've got the Travis prongs and firdt real 'mule'/loaded ride was that one (towards the peaks and with full bivy kit onboard). First real test for it was the steps round corner from mine and I was a little concerned I'd be doing a Ned Overend. Steep 45 degree steps you see. But it handled it perfectly... the rest of the 40 mile ride was also pretty solid and it felt composed and able to tackle stuff (even the nasty rock garden which is my 3rd time there but I always get a little concerned (for my knees as I dont had pads on :-bd )...

Its a thumbs up from me and hopefully post peaks200 and bb200 :o I'll have a better picture of its mule abilities
Bish

Post by Bish »

Imagethe nearest shell gas station
Fitted some new brakes, I had trp spykes and while they had enough power I sometimes had to use 2 fingers and really haul on them on steep descents. Hopefully these will be an improvement.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A bit of love to the Genesis Croix de Fer which has sat unloved for nearly a year now. Needed a new bottom bracket (SRAM GXP crap) and a new tyre fitting to the dynamo hubbed front wheel which got refurbished last October(ish). Fitted a Bontrager AW2 32c which is considerably lighter than the Schwalbe Marathon which was on there before.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Bish wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:14 pm Imagethe nearest shell gas station
Fitted some new brakes, I had trp spykes and while they had enough power I sometimes had to use 2 fingers and really haul on them on steep descents. Hopefully these will be an improvement.
They sure will. Admittedly I did upgrade from some crappy Avid Elixirs (used to be good way back when) which I had unsiezied after being sat for too long. These SLX are in my opinion even better than my previous besties (Avid Juicy 7 carbon). 1 finger braking :-bd ... in fact I reckon you could get half finger braking if you figured out the maths of it all (or chopped the finger a little :lol: )