Dilemma

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Leerowe76

Dilemma

Post by Leerowe76 »

I currently own a Trek ex fuel 9.8, Trek Procaliber project one build amongst other stuff, I could sell the fuel to fund the bike packing bicycle and have change then sell the the Procaliber and put the money to a short travel full suss basically to have 1 do it all bike, something has to give I think I just don’t know what 🤷🏻‍♂️ What would you do ?
Bearing in mind there ain’t much funds goin round as we’re looking at moving house
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
benp1

Re: Dilemma

Post by benp1 »

That procaliber will be fine

Chris/Zippy of this parish has one and does just fine on it
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’d buy some bags and ride the arse off it :grin:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Why can't you Bikepacking on either of the two bikes?

Yes, the Fuel may not be 'the classic' style of Bikepacking but if you ride in the right places, it will still be the same great bike loaded up as it is not loaded. Same with the Procal... :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As above.
Any bike can be a bikepacking bike, all you need to do is load it up and go.
I do at least 1 bivi trip a year with my old riding buddies. On those trips there are guys on the expected Surly, Salsa and Jones bikes but also an old Orange 5 26er an Airdrop Edit and a Nicolai Helios.
For sure each bike has advantages and disadvantages but everyone gets round just the same with the same big grin on their face! :grin:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd echo what others have said but add - the UK is so diverse in terms of terrain / surface that there will always be some point when you feel that you're on the wrong bike but at other times, the bike you're on will seem the perfect choice.

If you like your bike, there really is no reason to change it - certainly not on the grounds of it not being a 'bikepacking' bike. I'm very much of the opinion that such a thing doesn't exist.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 am I'm very much of the opinion that such a thing doesn't exist.
Apart from a rigid 29er right? :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Apart from a rigid 29er right? :grin:
Yes and very much no Ben. While many bikepacker's or cyclists who are bikepacking choose to ride a rigid 29er, I think it only makes it a 'bikepacking bike' because you happen to be bikepacking on it. If you were riding the same bike to work, it would be a commuting bike :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Trek Fuel EX... one of the most versatile bikes I've ever ridden. Superbly balanced.

I use a long travel 29er for most of my bikepacking trips as it's the best option for the terrain I like to ride. Simples.

I'm sure there's a good reason why you got the Fuel in the first place. I don't see why going bikepacking should change the terrain you favour for day trips.

For tamer routes you have another great bike with the Procaliber.