My rim keeps blowing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

My rim keeps blowing

Post by rufus748 »

After much deliberation I've just bought a Maxxis Ardent/Ikon combo having had the bead on two Conti's unravel.
Fitting onto Arch mk3's the Ardent just keeps blowing off the rim as soon as I get over 25psi, (I now have what appears to the uninitiated to be a strange infection resulting in an orange rash covering all my exposed skin, I guess it will peel off...)
The tyre goes onto the rim nice and tight and infates with a track pump not necessatating the Airshot.
Its the Ardent Race 3c Exo TR so it should be ok.
Any ideas? The rim's not damaged, tyre defect?
redefined_cycles

Re: My rim keeps blowing

Post by redefined_cycles »

Ive had this but only on Stans... Many years ago. After removing yhe tubeless off a Stans superlight rim of some sort. My buddy who bought the bike wanted it untubelessing so I removed sealant and reinflated with tubes... the tyre blew off the sidewalls.. I'd say it might be somethig to do with the unique (at that time to Stans rims) sidewall hookeless or whatever system Stan had patented...

Probably best to go with a tighter tyre (one of the ones that reviews state they find uber hard to seat and have to use 3 levers or summat) and you'll probs be all good... Hopefully you've already checked that your rim isn't a bit pringled or anything (maybe Pirngled is too strong a word)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

My first thought was lay off the Guinness :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm My first thought was lay off the Guinness :lol:
Yep :lol:

What a thread title :lol: :lol: :lol:

I seem to remember you having tyre/bead issues before Andy :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

My only rim/tyre issues are getting the bloody things on or off. My WTB Ci31 rims hang on to tyres like thatcher on the entrance to hell :shock:
Honestly once they are on the rim it’s a bugger of a job to shift them,so far wtb tyres have been to tightest and conti’s the easiest. My current Vitoria mezcal’s reassuring taught but without excessive swearing :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Is it always the same side that blows off? If the tyre is a tight fit on the rim, which I assume it must be if it will inflate with just a track pump, then I think there must be something wrong with the tyre.

When you say a tight fit is that just getting it over the rim or is it tight in the well?

My Michelins on Arch mk3 will go up to 50psi before the 'pop' onto the rim so 25psi seems very low to blow off the rim. I've friends with the same tyres as you on Arch mk3 set up tubeless with no issues.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Only because someone mentioned stans rum above but check the maximum PSI of the rim. I doubt it would be as low as 25 but you never know.

Also check the erto numbers for both the rim and tyre, I’ve had different sized 16’’ tyres before
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:59 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm My first thought was lay off the Guinness :lol:
Yep :lol:

What a thread title :lol: :lol: :lol:

I seem to remember you having tyre/bead issues before Andy :wink:
I remember it well, what fun that was, especially in the rain waiting for Thunderbird three piloted by sweary Dave. I'll never forget "YOU BAAASSSTTTARD" as he came into view :lol: :lol:
Just had exactly the same issue with another same model Conti hence the swap to maxxis.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I know this will be a faff, but if you swap the front tyre onto the rear rim and vice versa then if the Ardent blows off it must be the tyre, if the Ikon blows off the then it must be the rim, assuming the Ardent is currently on the front?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Sounds like your rim is the common factor.

I've run various tyres on Arch Mk3 with no problems.

Bin the rim.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Actually.... it might be you thst is yhe common factor.

What are you using to get the tyres onto the rim?

Once s tyre has blown off once it's done... sorry to say.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't Stans run a different profile on the rim to just about everyone else? I know that WTB advise not to fit their tyres on them, maybe Maxxis too?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 pm Don't Stans run a different profile on the rim to just about everyone else? I know that WTB advise not to fit their tyres on them, maybe Maxxis too?
Yup... they have a special type of hook interface going on (AFAIR) its less grabby...

Rufus, what size (width) tyre are you running aswell. You suew that maybe some downsizing might do the trick!
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:59 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 pm Don't Stans run a different profile on the rim to just about everyone else? I know that WTB advise not to fit their tyres on them, maybe Maxxis too?
Yup... they have a special type of hook interface going on (AFAIR) its less grabby...

Rufus, what size (width) tyre are you running aswell. You suew that maybe some downsizing might do the trick!
Cant find anything on the Maxxis site other than they are tyre suppliers to team Marin-Stan's so I'm assuming they work ok(?)
Only 2.35, so nothing excessive..
Mbnut wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:46 pm Actually.... it might be you thst is yhe common factor.

What are you using to get the tyres onto the rim?

Once s tyre has blown off once it's done... sorry to say.

Just a track pump Nige

I've just tried again, checking pressures with my digital gauge as I went to ensure the pump gauge isn't knackered (its not). Took it very slow and its currently sat at 40psi. Bit concerned about riding on it though. Bounced it down the garden a few times and at the moment its holding.... I'll put it under a bit more pressure in the morning once I've found some ear defenders :wink:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

You (or possibly anyone else) haven't initially over-inflated the tyre have they?

I did that once when initially trying to get a tubeless tyre to seat & it must have stretched/malformed the tyre, as it wouldn't seat again properly afterwards..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Wotsits wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:18 pm You (or possibly anyone else) haven't initially over-inflated the tyre have they?

I did that once when initially trying to get a tubeless tyre to seat & it must have stretched/malformed the tyre, as it wouldn't seat again properly afterwards..
No jase, it blew straight away at 25. Doesn't look as if it's ever been on a rim, came from a shop. Tomorrow morning could be eventful...
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

rufus748 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 pm No jase, it blew straight away at 25. Doesn't look as if it's ever been on a rim, came from a shop. Tomorrow morning could be eventful...
There's no way i'd trust that tyre if its coming off the rim at 25psi Andy.. 8-X
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That really doesn't sound right

You could try another wrap of tape to see if that makes a difference?
Al

Post by Al »

I blew a 2.35 ikon of a stans crest fitting it (scared the crap out of me). I was using an airshot, so well over 25psi but still not something I’d ever had before. Maybe yours did the same at lower psi as tyre was new so the bead was all creased up from being folded up.Mine went at a much higher psi but it was not a new tyre. You could try leaving it overnight with a tube in to get its shape back.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Well..... I didn't die, not even a visit to casualty :-bd
The Ikon arrived for the rear and went on (and up) easily just with a track pump so I took the plunge and went for a ride. All or nothing (do or die....) I popped to the local trail centre working on the theory if it did go bang 1/ I'd soon be seen by a passing rider and 2/ the hospital wasn't far away :roll:
Gave them both a right hammering and all's good. No idea why the front one kept blowing but I'm now happy that it wont happen when ridding.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've got 2 bikes with Arch MK3 rims, one is running 2.2 Ardents, the other 2.4 Ardents. All rims are tubeless with Stans tape and sealant. No issues at all.

I've never pumped the tyres as high as 25psi, close though, I run around 18/19 in the front and 2psi more in the back. The tyres seat on the rim at pressures lower than this. I won't be rushing to test them at higher pressure as I'm well aware of the mess sealant makes when a tyre pops off the rim.