Dropper Post Curious...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Dropper Post Curious...

Post by Escape Goat »

Hey all,

What set ups have you got for dropper post and about 11ltr saddle bags...I've seen alpkit do this; https://www.alpkit.com/products/exo-rai ... ing-system but I don't know if any and all bags are compatible with it....

Thanks!
dlovett

Re: Dropper Post Curious...

Post by dlovett »

Dropper post and bags sometimes play well. I use a restart harness with Alpkit tapered bags, and it just fits with the dropper dropped. You do need to do some measuring before you ride though especially if you are on a full suss.

The alpkit dropper frame doesn't fit every seat post design,, check your proffered post will take it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A list of dropper post compatible bags here - https://bikepacking.com/gear/dropper-post-seat-bags/ obviously US biased but will give you an idea.

The Alpkit rail needs a bag/harness with a sleeve for it to fit into.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Allan... My 2 pence on it all is that I've gone with a small standard saddle bag instead (1L) which works well... Probably might try out the 3L ultright AK one but putting extra metal harnesses to be able to carry only an extra few litres doesnt seem worth to me. Whats the biggest compatible bag you gonna manage to get... 9L or 11L tops for all that extra weight.

Or you coukd just go hardcore like alot of the riders on here and get rid the droppe and run a standard seatpost BPing bag. One thing that helps (I only realised this recently) is one of the extreme sweeping bars which brings your hands back far enough that you could still get your weight back properly on the DHs (even better than how we used to do it way back when with standard bars and seatpost and still somehow used to get weight back enough for the DH :-bd

Hopefully you'll update on here on what you decide...

NB. With a 1L pack its stable enough that you could use one of Stus green (uk green) Voile straps to attach a waterproof jacket and possible some gloves...
DiscoStu

Post by DiscoStu »

I use a dropper and a wildcat seat pack on my admittedly infrequent trips out - dont have any issues. On one bike I've a 150mm dropper and the other a 125mm version - Both Brand X Ascend II's.

I've not noticed any major sway or similar. I do fit a reverb collar on my 29er to ensure I dont drop the seatpack onto the tyre, I lose about 50% of drop on the shorter post - this is only what you lose anyway from the seat post strap. My seat pack isn't the massive type you sometimes see on the trails.

Both bikes have droppers fitted, I'm not going to remove them just to go bike packing so I just use them with a bit of tape applied to protect the finish under the strap. Doesn't half make the descents a lot more fun even just getting it down 50% helps on the steep and rowdy stuff :-bd
Attachments
20190705_183948- resized.jpg
(66.04 KiB) Downloaded 1673 times
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

. Whats the biggest compatible bag you gonna manage to get... 9L or 11L tops for all that extra weight.
Using Alpkit website we get
rail = 195
rail bag = Weight:7 L: 190 g; 13 L: 255 g
Weight: 460 g - there standard 12 l bag without rail

The rails actually make bags lighter
Clearly not as light as a smaller bag [Weight: 125 g for 3 litre endura bag] but there is no weight penalty for a dropper bag its a weight saving.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:10 pm
. Whats the biggest compatible bag you gonna manage to get... 9L or 11L tops for all that extra weight.
Using Alpkit website we get
rail = 195
rail bag = Weight:7 L: 190 g; 13 L: 255 g
Weight: 460 g - there standard 12 l bag without rail

The rails actually make bags lighter
Clearly not as light as a smaller bag [Weight: 125 g for 3 litre endura bag] but there is no weight penalty for a dropper bag its a weight saving.
Ok... i didn't know that. Thanks for the enlightenment (not to be confused with Enlightened Equipment which would be the quilt makers :smile: )...

Which 3L Endura seatpack you got Johnny?? Any good..
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have a massively heavy blackburn one at about 500g - steady as can be mind but have been dropper curious

Waiting for the loops to be back in stock [ if ever] and see what I can improvise with an old style koala bag
PS we forgot a dropper is heavier than a standard post so as a collective set up its probably back to marginally heavier
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Used one a few times this year and after being totally against them I'm now a fan, particularly with a seat pack. I use a revelate pika and I can still drop the post a couple of inches or so. This is enough to get my bum back over the saddlepack avoiding those horrible perched in the air as you plummet down a steep drop moments....
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Some good points there. Looks like I will have to have a look at some bags first to see if it's worth it.

Cheers!! :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've used my dropper with my revelate pack fine. I use pipe lagging to protect the post

Don't get to drop it with like that though,at e 30-40mm, but it definitely helps
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

For me I could use a dropper along with seat bag on the Solaris (hardtail) but on the Spearfish (FS) I've only 25mm max to play with so hardly worth it. That's with a Wildcat Tiger, maybe with something a bit shallower I might get a bit more movement.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Karl

Post by Karl »

I've got a porcelain rocket albert seat pack. Used it on the Highland Trail. Allows me to move the seat down a good amount. Capacity is a bit limited but easy and reliable to use.
I'm actually developing a dropper specific saddle bag which should allow more drop than other bags. #enduropacking :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Yeah I use a dropper with my Alpkit Koala as well. I had a Reverb spare off another bike and stuck it on my Ramin just to try and it's been on ever since. I have rear crud catcher on as well so if I drop too far with the pack on it just buzzes the mudguard and I can let the dropper come back up slightly, it's never been a problem in practice. It definitely adds another dimension to descents being able to drop the seat at will and as has already been stated even a small drop helps a lot.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Karl wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:16 pm I'm actually developing a dropper specific saddle bag which should allow more drop than other bags. #enduropacking :lol:
Keep us posted Karl :grin: