A bit of bivvy related input required.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

A bit of bivvy related input required.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Following conversations about a hood to be used over the top of a bivvy bag, I've started to have a play but wouldn't mind a bit of input from anyone who can be bothered.

Basic layout is a fairly simple hood with a net one side and a waterproof base on the other. It's generously sized so it will fit over the top of something like a Hunka XL and extend down to somewhere near lower chest height. I've added a shockcorded drawstring around the base.

Now, you can pull this over yourself and keep the winged teeth and slugs out but I was thinking how important is it that you can ift the net away from your face / head? Adding a simple loop and elastic certainly wouldn't be difficult but I'm thinking that using it probably would be .... go on, picture yourself trying to get the hood over you, then trying to fasten / tighten a cord to a point above you. I really can't see that ^ working in the real world, so does it need it?

Thank you and BTW, it's very important that this happens as I've given it the name 'Double Bagger' to good an opportunity to miss I think. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Re: A bit of bivvy related input required.

Post by techno »

is this a good use for the 11g pole?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Borah bags have lifters but they've also got zips so a bit easier to arrange things.

Saturday night I didn't bother with the lifter but the material's so light it isn't really a problem, for me at least, with it against your face.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The net on my borah attaches to the underside of my tarp. I made a magnetic connector (a small magnet sewn inside a bit of 20mm wide tape) and one end hangs down from the tarp. Once zipped in all I have to do is hold up the other magnet connector attached to the netting and touch it on the dangling down one and they attach to each other. Added bonus is that if the tarp blows over or I slide down the hill the magnets release before the netting/tarp is damaged.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I too use a Borah bivvy which has a shoulder length netting section with a single zip at the join between net and fabric. I dislike having the net touching my face so have rigged up a mini caribiner that clips to a loop of elastic cord on the underside of my Rig3.5 tarp. Trouble is that the loop that the caribiner goes through is on the mesh side of the zip which means you can't attach the clip then get in the bivvy. I suppose sewing a loop on the fabric side would work but I haven't got around to it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I slept with my unsupported headnet on on Saturday night, and it didn't bother me. I do have a beard though, maybe that helps!
jameso

Post by jameso »

I can just imagine someone doing a good impression of Houdini trying to escape a bodybag while trying to get set up and comfy under that double bag. Just add a crinkly neo-air for full effect : )
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

After our conversation about it stu ,I had a thought that it may still work for me as I use the elastic cord off my quilt ,I can hook it up first and then pull it down , but as I said it's not often I tie off the net on my borah so really my opinion is no help ( but still want one for my hunka) :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Uhm, a magnetic fix might just work Sean. As you say, all you need to do is push the net up which you can obviously do (fairly) easily from inside.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I would probably make do with out a "lifter".

Could always add one later if I was fussed...

Si
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I might steal this idea as my ti goat has a loop on the mesh part but I have never bothered to to fixed anything to it before.

Now what are the lightest magnets you can get.....

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:02 pm The net on my borah attaches to the underside of my tarp. I made a magnetic connector (a small magnet sewn inside a bit of 20mm wide tape) and one end hangs down from the tarp. Once zipped in all I have to do is hold up the other magnet connector attached to the netting and touch it on the dangling down one and they attach to each other. Added bonus is that if the tarp blows over or I slide down the hill the magnets release before the netting/tarp is damaged.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

is this a good use for the 11g pole?
Don't worry, I've already tried ... what a faff that was :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

net on face does not bother me but the magnet idea is genius
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

dlovett wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:45 pm I might steal this idea as my ti goat has a loop on the mesh part but I have never bothered to to fixed anything to it before.

I've done it on my Ti Goat Kestral with a wee bit of shockcord. I had additional tie-in points added to the underside of my tarp for this very purpose. It obviously relies on you not moving about too much during the night.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I’m thinking half of one these tied to the ti goat’s mesh loop and the other one on a bit of higher adjustable line on the inside if the tarp should do the job nicely.

https://www.first4magnets.com/skittle-p ... ps_2-11350
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Are you not better off using something like the s to s nano mesh mossy tent thing - only 85gs, you could hang it off a convenient tree etc, or just drape it over you if not. Gives a bit of room to maneuver as well.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are you not better off using something like the s to s nano mesh mossy tent thing - only 85gs, you could hang it off a convenient tree etc, or just drape it over you if not. Gives a bit of room to maneuver as well.....
That's all well and good but blows any chance I have of marketing 'Double Baggers' :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry to rub it in but the nano head net is.... 11g!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Al

Post by Al »

What if the hanging loop was a long ish length of cord- loop on one end, passes through eyelet in net, cord lock on inside.
So you attach the loop, get in then ‘hoist’ the net by sliding the cord lock up.
Not tried it, but it works well in my head.....
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Mountain Laurel Designs bivvy bag has a thin wire to hold the mesh off your face, which sounds like a good idea.
I am still saving up for the MLD bivvy bag so have no knowledge wether its any good or not !!
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Al wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:36 pm What if the hanging loop was a long ish length of cord- loop on one end, passes through eyelet in net, cord lock on inside.
So you attach the loop, get in then ‘hoist’ the net by sliding the cord lock up.
Not tried it, but it works well in my head.....
Now that sounds just too simple and brilliant to work. I’ll try it. ‘Cancels magnet purchase.’
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

that is what i do now but the attachment point is either my carbon pole or a flimsy tab on the tent - it certainly gets it off your face but it has no failsafe for if it gets pulled- i think i would need to roll off the mat [on to the "bivvy/tiny inner tent " for this to happen which i have never done but still like the idea of a magnet to break free rather than snap or rip something , its probably overkill though .
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

With my combination of slippery, crinckly and slidey sleeping kit, I don't think I've ever woken up where I went to sleep.

I love Sean's magnet idea, though the mesh has never bothered me.

If you make the double bagger purely from mesh I'd be tempted as an around camp anti aircraft device.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yes - a torso net with enough room to move arms about in to allow you to eat, drink and re-touch lippy while sat around camp.