Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gazaddy

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by gazaddy »

RIP wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 am Gaz, that second photo looks like you're taking breakfast in hell - pennance for some sort of bivvy offence?
It was ok Reg, I wasn't planning on going out ,resided myself to the fact my BaM was over then the wife went to bed @ 9.15pm and I thought F' it get gone. So it was a mad dash to get stuff and go..
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Right, June's count:

Escape Goat
ScotRoutes
redefined_cycles
TheBrownDog
RIP
sean_iow
MuddyPete
middleagedmadness
ericrobo
metalheart
Pickers
Alan63
ChrisF
Raggedstone
frogatthefarriers
Landslide
javatime
gallowayboy
BigdummySteve
JohnClimber
JimmyG
paramart
whitestone
petemaz
mountainposture
htrider
Borderer
Borderer2
darbreeze
Wotsits
gazaddy
Zippy

32 peeps in June. 27 peeps who have posted a bivvy every month this year so far. 237 bivvies posted this year in total.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
pistonbroke wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:20 pm Caro a month continues.
Some may recall that following the passing of my mother earlier this year, I resolved to do this 1,000m climb once a month this year. I've managed 6 from 6 and this month's proved the most pleasurable. I've ridden up in high winds, encountered snow at the side of the road, set off down not being able to feel my fingers but yesterday was perfect. Still conditions, temperature in the mid 20's and fantastic views. Managed a gear or 2 higher as well so it must be doing some good.
Details of the ride here https://www.wikiloc.com/cycling-trails/ ... p-37829824
This is the first post in this thread I can find from you? Are you taking part?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Thought I'd posted in BaM but turns out it was in Today's ride, don't bother including me as it's only similarity is that it's a ride I've committed to doing every month.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Zippy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 pm Right, June's count:

32 peeps in June. 27 peeps who have posted a bivvy every month this year so far. 237 bivvies posted this year in total.
Cheers Zip
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Zippy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 pm
32 peeps in June. 27 peeps who have posted a bivvy every month this year so far. 237 bivvies posted this year.
Erm, I was looking back over the year and noticed I was missing from the April (30th)list, so I have a full BAM ytd. too. :-bd Actually 54of60 :-bd :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Can I have a June-bivilation please?

A lovely trip to see the...

Stayed in the...

And in Fisherfield

There were also Torridon and Glen Affric stops.

I don't really have words to describe it but I tried here...https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/201 ... s.html?m=1
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 pm
Zippy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 pm
32 peeps in June. 27 peeps who have posted a bivvy every month this year so far. 237 bivvies posted this year.
Erm, I was looking back over the year and noticed I was missing from the April (30th)list, so I have a full BAM ytd. too. :-bd Actually 54of60 :-bd :-bd
Yes, thankyou for spotting that, list updated :-bd

Looking back through and finding your post, I also missed javatime in April too!
TrepidExplorer wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 am Can I have a June-bivilation please?
Yarp :-bd

So with the latest score on the doors, 33 peeps in June, 29 who have posted a bivvy a month this year so far and 240 bivvies posted this year.

I'll post a full list of people at the end of the year so people can check I've been totting up correctly :geek:
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

A sudden rush of family visitors and planned events has meant a shortage of time to get out for a proper trip, so the chance to do a two dayer on the last day of June to get June and July done seemed too good an opportunity to miss (and stay within the rules).
The Island of Gigha lies just off the Kintyre Peninsular, so two ferry trips away. It's a community owned island and is somewhere I've wanted to get to since we moved here.
After the first ferry from Lochranza I took the Kintyre way just South of Cloanaig crossing from the East to the West of Kintyre. Not the best of tracks as it's pretty overgrown until Loch Ciaran, but mostly ridable.

Imagelooking back to Arran

ImageTrack?

ImageKintyre Way

Second ferry at Tayinloan to Gigha. There's only one road so I headed North towards the Twin Beaches where I was thinking of stopping.

ImageGigha ferry

Bagh Rubha Ruaidh the southerly of the twin beaches is in a beautiful position, but sadly seems to have been contaminated with a lot of plastic debris, but the northern beach is just lovely, even on a partially overcast and windy day it was stunning.

ImageBagh na Doirlinne

I got the tent set up, made some food and sat and read whilst watching Gannets diving for food just off the beach. I had both beaches to myself until late evening when a group appeared and set up a mini rave, fortunately at the far end of the other beach, so no big deal, and the music was pretty good :)

ImageShower

The idea for the next day was to return to a different section of the Kintyre way and cross back to the East coast and from there make my way North back to the Arran ferry and camp either on Kintyre or back on Arran. This section of the Kintyre way is all forest road, with a longish climb up to the windfarm on Deucheran hill. The minor road running up the East of Kintyre lived up to its reputation as a deceptively tough route, and unfortunately by this time my drivetrain was sounding not at all well, with what sounded like imminent failure of something, so I went with the option of getting across the water.

ImageDeucheran Hill.

From Lochranza I climbed over the Boguille hill nursing my chain (in other words...slowly) and found a nice little spot to camp hidden away on the shoreline.

ImageDeer Crossing

ImageSannox shore

ImageBlue Cliffs

The next morning I felt pretty empty, not enough real food and a bit dehydrated, I think, so a gentle road run home for a late breakfast.

ImageHomewards

7/7
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Superb. Any trip involving a ferry is a real adventure!
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

6/6 June Brittany (possibly)

The last 2 years I have failed in June and this year was nearly no exception. I did manage a bivvy in my mates garden in central Brittany, a bike (Big Dummy) was involved either day although it was towing these two monkeys and I didn't arrive at camp carrying my gear in. Don't worry the kids didn't sleep under the 3.5 they were safely tucked up with (healthy and safety conscious) mum in the van. They don't normally where helmets in the trailer but I may have had a glass of wine with my lunch!

Adjudicators please judge my pathetic effort kindly
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

1/ At least one night out - Check..
2/ A single trip taking in both... - N/A
3/ No paid for accommodation... - check (unless your mate is particularly stingy?)
4/ A bike must be involved...- Check
5/ Your own garden doesn't count... - Check
6/ Post each trip here in as much detail as you like, pictures are good... - Nice sunset, all seems legit to me.*

*Not that I',m a voice of authority or owt.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Was in a similar position last November, blowing a hooly on top of the clee so me and scattamah stopped in the local establishment too long ,was too drunk to climb the fences to get to the bird hide ,so as Scott had already got November in decided it was back to his for more whisky and kipped on his back lawn ,and it was given as a B.A.M, also think reg spent the night in a mates garden ,so can't see why it wouldn't count
( Also no authority figure here)
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think Stu himself has said something like "even kip in a mate's garden if you must" so I guess we're in the clear albeit slightly frowned on :smile: .

What a lovely picture of the kids there Jam', the youngest looks like s/he's having a whale of a time :-bd . Kids really do love biking.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

@Crewlie - I love the Gigha photos, we spent new year on Gigha this year, its a beautiful place (in a cottage, not bivvying :wink: ). The kids even went for a swim to celebrate New Year’s Day.

@Jaminb - a fully qualified BaM I reckon and extra points for involving the little uns.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Live BAM in progress :-bd Much to my dismay the annual school camp out turned out to be on a Friday not tomorrow as per usual. After a 13 hour day including half a circle of the M25 it wasn’t how I’d anticipated spending Friday evening, I’d also agreed to take my sons friend along. Rather than the usual ‘family’ camping trip I’d introduced his friend to the BB way. He turned up with a bin liner full of sleeping bag/blankets plus a large puffy jacket ‘just in case’ along with a ruck sack full of stuff. In short order we ditched most of the stuff, in fact he seemed delighted that he didn’t need clean socks for the 1 Mile trip home in the morning.
Once we’d reduced his kit to a reasonable amount we handed back a half empty rucksack and seem chuffed that he could sleep in the school field with so little stuff. Next step was to send him home for his bike :-bd

Currently in the tarp while kids play some strange game with a ROUND! ball, it will never catch on.

Shortest ever bam ride?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:22 pm Superb. Any trip involving a ferry is a real adventure!
I've taken my bike on the woolwich ferry, it really isn't that much of an adventure... it's nice to be able to jump the queue though!
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Lovely stuff everyone.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:22 pm Superb. Any trip involving a ferry is a real adventure!
It's OK if your ferry is subsidised :wink:

For me it's "Any trip involving a ferry is all my cake money used up" :lol:

But once off the Island I do like a small ferry, the Hamble one is my favourite :smile: Anyone riding down this way should aim to use it just for the experience.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I love this thread. This is what it is all about for me.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

TrepidExplorer wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 am
I don't really have words to describe it but I tried here...https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/201 ... s.html?m=1
Good one :-bd
I suspect I was following your fossilised tyre tracks over to and along the postie path
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bit of a last minute change of plan had me bivvying with metalheart and one of my mates. Lack of plan/openness to change saw lots of dithering about location. Metalheart had a mechanical on the way, which is when we discovered the winged scourge were out in force. Pressure of daylight and potential cold air resulted in a beach camp at Loch Morlich. As a midge avoidance strategy it sucked. However, my troublesome Exped mat stayed inflated and I somehow made a perfect pitch of the Lunar despite inhaling midge as I was setting it up.

No fannying about this morning either. Strike camp and down to Cobbs in Aviemore for breakfast.

7/7 for 2019
32nd consecutive month.

Out of interest, what's the BB record for consecutive BAMs? IIRC it's held by Taylor or Chew at 54 or so?

Partial Lunar Eclipse by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

7/7 for 2019, 9th in a row. See post above^

Hard a weird mechanical on the way up the old logging way, chain overthrew changing under pressure and got a link wedged behind a rivit of the cassette. I spent 15 mins being a blood donor for midgies (that’s my excuse for not managing) until Scotroutes and his mate decided to come see what had happened to me. We reckoned that the cassette would need to come off... so phone calls were made, tools sourced, jammies changed. I decided, right, I better try taking the wheel off. Hmm, that went easier than we thought... I wonder if... and hey presto, chain dislodged. Duh. More (cancel) phone calls. Just as well we’d eaten at the Woodshed...

I wanted to bivvy at Bynack Stables. I was overruled (to be fair, I’d already been enough of a pita, I didn’t want to push it). So Morlich it was. The presence of midge might have been commented on... perfect lunar pitch by myself under pressure also (and just inches apart from Scotroutes to boot).

Provisional plan made for the 12th bivvy (Loch ness 360).

August’s will hopefully be the north loop of the HT from Contin(well, my house actually, but it’s not on the route... :lol: ) multiday (summer holiday) trip.
Give the dirt a little room.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

7/7 for 2019
32nd consecutive month.

Out of interest, what's the BB record for consecutive BAMs? IIRC it's held by Taylor or Chew at 54 or so?

I beat chew by a further 10 months as he gave up at Christmas and I carried on until the following October.
70 month's or 5 years 10 month's :-bd
Are you gunning for it?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Taylor wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:14 pm

7/7 for 2019
32nd consecutive month.

I beat chew by a further 10 months as he gave up at Christmas and I carried on until the following October.
70 month's or 5 years 10 month's :-bd
Are you gunning for it?
Hell no. I'll be happy if I'm still riding a bike in another 3 years time though!!
mountainposture

Post by mountainposture »

I'm quite content on 7 in a row so far.

Just got back from our version of the Jennride in the south Lakes. Lovely two days out and a cracking bivvy in Little Langdale.

Five years and ten months you say....