Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: Packed bike weighIn Thread

Post by lune ranger »

Bike plus lights plus bags:
15.7kg
Therefore ALL gear/food/water:
5.4kg
Not so bad. Unless I could be guaranteed food replenishment every 4 hours i’m not willing to go lighter.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

One area i could be lighter on is tools and spares. Including pump, tube, tools and a small assortment of nuts, chain links etc i’m carrying 1.1kg.
what you carrying ?
I have 300g with a chain tool,mini tool, chain & quick links[and woolftooth pliers, cassette tool/spoke key, pump and puncture repair kit[tubeless and tubes
300g for 2 x tubes
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

1020g to be precise:

Pump: Lezyne mini floor pump thing with gauge. 250g
Tube: Schwalbe sv9 29er. 147g
Tubeless repair kit: 70g
Leatheman Squirt: 56g
Bag of nuts/links: 44g
Wolf tooth chain pliers: 38g

Lezyne tyre levers: 26g
Park multi tool: 180g
Oil: 8g
Brake pads: 35g
Zot Nano: tubeless sealant accelerant 16g
Rag/gloves/hand cleaner: 42g
Wolf tooth dry bag(frame mounted): 67g
Brake inner: 24g

Your kit sounds light. Maybe too light. My kit is good for me for most situations. Like I said, i’m probably not willing to go lighter.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

chain tool 50
woolftooth 40 [also has a tyre lever on it]
multitool 73g inc two tyre levers [ one plastic]
casette tool 12- unior type - never tried in anger]
puncture kit 54
pump-Lezyne alloy no guage 90

It goes in a tool roll that came with a camelbak that is netting and thin nylon. Not sure what that weights tbh but its not going to be much - also fits the first aid kit in there.

No leatherman for me or bag of nuts and a lighterpump and mini tool

Not seeing that much difference in terms of what we could repair.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

:-bd vaguely exciting
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

:grin:
yes the real world cannot give you these levels of scintillating bike related conversations..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Slightly different lists there chaps - one is tools while one is tools and spares.

You could drop the chain pliers and use the brake inner wire to split the chain or use the hack of lifting a link away from the chainring to make a triangle and tapping it. There's YouTube videos of both methods.

If your multi-tool has a chainbreaker then one of the slots will also act as a spoke key.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I said tubes in the post before at 2 @ 300g for the pair

I could do without it but , even if i ditch it, i still need some pliers.
1) It undoes tubeless valve cores and the nut thingy between valve and rim that i will never get off by hand so I need some pliers anyway
2) that hack has not always worked for me and I dont want to be fannying around in the wet or dark with a quick link with cold hands [ and its weighs 40 g so not a massive weight penalty for all that.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I always pack a decent chain tool. I dont need the pliers that way and the chain tool allows removal of half knackered chain links.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m happy with what I have. Add more cables an extra inner tube and some sealant and that kit would do a continental crossing.
I have a heavy pump because it works well and I ride plus tyres a lot of the time.
I have a tiny pump for road riding but would not want to spend all night flapping around reinflating a 29x3.
I’m not complaining about my kit. It’s more of an observation.
And yes the Wolf Tooth pliers are pretty redundant but weigh next to nothing.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I always pack a decent chain tool.
Agreed mine is a separate one rather than one on a multi tool

I have that lezyne pump as well and agree its a much better pump in use and also a much heavier one when not in use. It did not allow me to re seat my tubeless plus tyres after a cut [to be fair neither did my compressor as the tyre still leaks so i will suffer the frustation of lots of pumping for the rare times i get a puncture/need it.

Interesting how all gear choices are personal even when we agree on the strengths and weaknesses
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've several pumps, a low volume, high pressure one for road bike tyres and high volume, low pressure pumps for MTB tyres. For my fat bike I've a Mountain Morph.

The slot on the chain tool also fits the core of tubeless valves, but not the collar :wink: I've not (yet) needed to do any chain repairs out on the trail.

I do carry a Leatherman Squirt as the pliers allow me to retract the pistons on Hope brakes. I also carry a Black Diamond Expedition sewing kit which is handy to sew torn sidewalls as well as patching clothes, a whole 30g for that. Ultimately it's getting the most out of your kit with the least amount of faff.

Back to the fat bike, in Finland I took bigger, heftier tools as you can't faff around in the cold and you've limited dexterity. I'm carrying a 1.8Kg sleeping bag for starters. :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not actually going bivi but I need to get used to the weight as well as organisation etc... So today Stan (the Stoogy Sonder: oh my days!) is Bivi-ready and weighing in at 19.5kg :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was trying to work out what the big circular plate thing strapped under your downtube was :oops:

19.5Kg is keen!
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:40 pm I was trying to work out what the big circular plate thing strapped under your downtube was :oops:

19.5Kg is keen!
19.5kg... keen= heavy? Or light?

Big circular plate?? Washing machine door? :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

How much food and water in that Shaf?
WSC
redefined_cycles

2 ginger beers. 2L water (since then have added 500ml for handwashing or backup etc etc). Spare socks and pyjama bottoms (tracksuit bottoms but 3 quarts). 3 bars (since the weighin have added 2 apples and managed to convince the missus to make a sarnie: got a peanut butter thing post pleading). Phd bag (600g) and thermarest standard mat with AK 500g bivi xl. Spare 1000mah powerbank with about 3 cables ( :geek: ) tools (which of noteworthiness weights are the parktool chaintool; gorilla grip allen set; big fat spare inner tube and various quick patches (am on tubles); 3 levers cos you can never have too many. Goretex 400g rain jacket which will probably leak. Pump. No 'to see lights' but a flash n flare set front and back... Spare waterproof Crikey, how much gloves and some thin giro ones. Spare underhelmet hat thingy... lots of love abd feeling sorry for myself that I've gotta ride this thing (and appreciation for all you lot that do this regularly :-bd )...

Oh... and a spare micro osprey backpack that can carey extra food if needed and a plastive fiver and card and some pain killers (like you do).. with codien to keep me happy
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Wow. That’s a lot of stuff. Never thought your Sonder could be so light. What is it? Transmitter, Frontier?
With my bikes, which are mostly chunky steel jobbies with Rohloff’s I’d be carrying next to nothing to get a sub 20kg set up. Let alone 2L water and cans of pop.
Nice work.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:23 pm Wow. That’s a lot of stuff. Never thought your Sonder could be so light. What is it? Transmitter, Frontier?
With my bikes, which are mostly chunky steel jobbies with Rohloff’s I’d be carrying next to nothing to get a sub 20kg set up. Let alone 2L water and cans of pop.
Nice work.
Thanks Luke... It was my 1st (proper as the other was a road frame) brandnew frame I've ever bought so did save up for months aswell as advice from here...

Frame weight= 1200ish g :lol: (its the csrbon version and I did enquire about strength... AK said its their strongest frame yet... I think I believe em as it did come with 5 year warranty too...

Back to business (with the bottle and the apples I suppose I've gone over 20kg)... plus, I forgot to menrion the Crikey, how much armwarmers :???:

Hit my first gate fully laden (I think its my first proper one anyway)... :smile:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That's not bad TBF Shafiq, especially since you've all that liquid on board. I don't think my touring setup would be much lighter if at all.

Just weighed my Spearfish (aluminium framed full-suss) with all the kit needed for this weekend's JennRide and it was 17.3Kg but the 500ml water bottle was half empty and my phone wasn't on board, add another 700g for those plus a few sundries that will sneak their way in there. That's 18kg, I've always reckoned the bike to be roughly 12.5kg, there's 4kg of bags and kit and 1.5kg of food and water.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob and everyone else... I'm chuffed cos I do take these things (of weight) seriously and try my best (money/affordability and robustrness of the part allowing) ... well was trying hard with this bike to get a decent weight.

Thanks mainly yo all those thats helped me buy parts off here on the cheap... at the very start one of the Bonafidas sild me his dtSwiss M1700 wheels which wrre new on his Orbea...

Oh... and I do have a direct line to Scott the Aussie (Scattamah).

NB. Rear tyre weight is 1.45kg :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Did an overnighter last weekend with just over 2kg inc comfortable sleeping gear, a small brew kit and a book. Love summer trips when you can go that light :-bd 'Fair-weather bikepacker'? Yep :grin:
(the bike base weight isn't light, around 13.5kg for a rigid 29er, but I get used to that)
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:05 am Did an overnighter last weekend with just over 2kg inc comfortable sleeping gear, a small brew kit and a book. Love summer trips when you can go that light :-bd 'Fair-weather bikepacker'? Yep :grin:
(the bike base weight isn't light, around 13.5kg for a rigid 29er, but I get used to that)
Thats uber light that is it not James... I need to makw one of them overnighters one of these days as my potential bivi spots are slowly growing :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ sleeping gear is 800g, packs into a MYOG seat pack/holster that I haven't weighed but it's paperweight minimal, just webbing, 3 buckles and some truck tarp. The smallest Alpkit Possum frame bag with tools, wing-it lightweight 26" tube and a 440ml mug with a Bearbones mini stove, coffee + meths for 2 brews. A MH Ghost Whisperer down jacket, Penguin mini-classic paperback -so good for bike trips, as are those phone box or charity shop book selections- and headtorch on the bars. Decathlon pack-a-sack for carrying dinner and a couple of cold weissbeers wrapped in that jacket to a bivi spot (and carrying the litter out of course). What else do you need in life when it's sunny? : )

A bit OT - but it was fun to see just how minimal I could go but still be a comfortable tourer.
redefined_cycles

I took ginger beers yesterday... amazing how cool they can stay inside a black framebag after 2 and 4 hours of riding :grin: