Campervan mattress

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Campervan mattress

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Sorry to hijack the forum for what is the most tenuous connection to Bikepacking.

I struggle to sleep on anything but my super comfortable bed at home. Legacy of back injuries that are not getting any better. The standard cheap mattress in my campervan is not cutting the mustard. I know there are some fellow campervan hobos lurking here, and hoping they can give me a steer to the solution, or even the best place to do some more digging?

I’m guessing some kind of space-age material like memory foam, but having looked at a few options online, it quickly gets a bit more complicated, with the usual marketing BS!

Thanks in advance...
ScotRoutes

Re: Campervan mattress

Post by ScotRoutes »

Prior to doing he full conversion in my van, I just used a standard air mattress from Go Outdoors. Teamed up with a blanket as a bit of insulation, My Mrs and I found that just fine (and she feels the cold while sleeping). What you might want to try is one of those elevated camp beds. Much more comfy than a mattress and can roll up very small.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15921944/v ... -15921944/?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thanks for the steer, Colin. That wouldn’t fit in the van and I’ve used all sorts of similar camp beds in the last none of which Worked for me!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

We got a custom cut one for our van as it’s also the chairs when in bed mode. It’s far more comfortable than our bed at home and we both sleep very well on it. If you want I can try to find the supplier’s details for you. It was expensive though, about £300 but worth every penny.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I use one of these

https://www.sitandsleep.co.uk/zipit-foa ... 2x22956819

Depends what van you have, but I also have an Amdro fold out bed (just a bit of wood)
http://www.amdro.co.uk/transporter-komb ... -p-75.html

Thats the sum total of my 'conversion!
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

We have a Vango comfort 10 double, for £100. We've just done a 2 week trip around Germany with it, slept well enough but we've started to find that it needs topping up every day now. Neither of us have had back issues though.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/vango-comfo ... 22041.html

We had considered just using a memory foam mattress topper though.
slarge

Post by slarge »

We had a mattress that was just a piece of foam used for seats, and it was too hard - after a couple of nights we'd both wake up with bad hips and aching ribs.

I swapped it for a memory foam topper which is a lot softer and it has transformed the comfort of the bed - much better.

We had an old topper kicking around that I cut up and re-used (it isn't pretty!!), but you can probably get a mattress topper for not much (get the sheet also that it fits in as memory foam seems sticky and bitty).
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Another Vango Comfort Double here, the 10 version.

Happy customer so far. Although it’s a big thing to store.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

dlovett wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am We got a custom cut one for our van as it’s also the chairs when in bed mode. It’s far more comfortable than our bed at home and we both sleep very well on it. If you want I can try to find the supplier’s details for you. It was expensive though, about £300 but worth every penny.
Definitely would be useful - Would happily pay handsomely for the assurance of a good nights sleep!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I just found the order email, it wasn't that bad, £213 not £300. The best money we spent on the van ever.

Easyfoam.co.uk, Unit 20 Barton Ind Park, Etruria Way, Bilston, WV14 7LH, UNITED KINGDOM, 01902405100
VAT INCLUDED @ 20 % VAT REG : 748 2373 13

Set of 2 rectangle: width 60cm, length 190cm, thickness 12cm (High (firm), Stockinette undercover) 1 £126.98 £126.98
Set of 2 rectangle: width 35cm, length 190cm, thickness 12cm (High (firm), Stockinette undercover) 1 £86.42 £86.42

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:37 am
dlovett wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am We got a custom cut one for our van as it’s also the chairs when in bed mode. It’s far more comfortable than our bed at home and we both sleep very well on it. If you want I can try to find the supplier’s details for you. It was expensive though, about £300 but worth every penny.
Definitely would be useful - Would happily pay handsomely for the assurance of a good nights sleep!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I have an Emma mattress at home and luckily they do them in different sizes and they did one that fits the campervan too.
A little spendy but OMG we sleep so well on it at home and in the campervan it's worth every penny.
www.emma-mattress.co.uk
12Alaska

Post by 12Alaska »

I found this company very reasonable and will cut to any size http://www.breasley.co.uk/contact.html
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

We use an exped megamat duo, pricey but the closest thing to a real matress we've slept on. My Mrs was ready for giving up on camping due to crap sleeps so it was worth paying the extra for us.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

12Alaska wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:02 am I found this company very reasonable and will cut to any size http://www.breasley.co.uk/contact.html
And they've innovative class leaders: "IN 1992 BREASLEY BECAME THE FIRST COMPANY IN THE UK TO PRODUCE CONVERTED, 3-DIMENSIONAL NOVELTY SPONGES."
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:29 am
12Alaska wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:02 am I found this company very reasonable and will cut to any size http://www.breasley.co.uk/contact.html
And they've innovative class leaders: "IN 1992 BREASLEY BECAME THE FIRST COMPANY IN THE UK TO PRODUCE CONVERTED, 3-DIMENSIONAL NOVELTY SPONGES."
But are they any good?

Found loads of companies willing to flog me made to measure multi-material super-ultra-comfort mattresses, but I need to know which ones actually “walk the walk”!

Those Emma mattresses look reassuringly expensive, and if you rate them highly... will have to remeasure the frame and see if one of their standard sizes will fit. Have a bad feeling it is highly non-standard!