TNR 2019 - advice on bike transport

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MH2019

TNR 2019 - advice on bike transport

Post by MH2019 »

5 of us are planning to do the TNR route a week before the official 2019 event. We fly into Milan, and out of Nice 8 days later

(1)- any advice on travel from Milan airport to central Turin? We will have 5 boxed bikes

(2)- any advice on how to reliably find 5 x cardboard bike boxes in NICE, or perhaps a system for sending big bags from Belfast to Nice (beforehand), or even Milan to Nice (within 7days).

We’re a bit stuck at the minute, as all of the transport options and bike boxing options seem like a gamble. Any pointers greatfully received!
Chew

Re: TNR 2019 - advice on bike transport

Post by Chew »

1. We rode it. Its a very flat 130k from MXP.
Depends which airport you're flying into?

Think there are also train options. As long as its a regional train you can take the bikes built up.

2. You can purchase box boxes from Nice airport.
Go to Terminal 2 and downstairs.
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

MH if you do have success in buying bike boxes at the airport, could you post a confirmation on this thread.
I will be in the same boat as you a week later and knowing the boxes are still available will be a big help.
I am not doubting the word of Chew, but I have heard people struggling to find them.
Thanks.
MH2019

Post by MH2019 »

Thanks Chew & Tonto

Our default plan is to build bikes and take them on train (as the 130km cycle doesn’t look a particularly nice route). If anyone has practical experience of this train route with bikes, please let us know (the trenitalia site is vague, and if we arrive with 5 bikes we fear it mightn’t be smooth)

We have same concerns as Tonto about NICE airport bike boxes: there are a range of opinions on the internet!

If only someone made some pocket money by transporting bike bags / boxes from Turin to Nice for a nominal fee.....and met you with a cold beer @ NICE airport.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The ride from Milan was actually quite nice and made a good warm up for the legs.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

hijack: is there storage at on near Nice airport for a soft bike bag for the week?
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I've booked storage at a hotel right next to the airport. Cost about 30 euros for the week and the website was called nannybaggage or similar - I'll check and report back later to avoid causing you any awkward browsing history scenarios.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Nannybag.com and its Nice Airport I was referring to.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Retiredtester wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:45 pm Nannybag.com and its Nice Airport I was referring to.
thanks, 38E for the 8 days I need. I think that's better than going for a thin cardboard box at the airport
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

:-bd
MH2019

Post by MH2019 »

Hi all, just back from a successful TNR trip. We did it a week before the official route.

Bikes arrived fine. In Nice airport, €25 got you a flimsy massive box. 5 of 6 bikes made it unscathed to Dublin airport.

Enjoy!!