Tour Divide 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jamesh

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by Jamesh »

jameso wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:53 pm ^ Would be surprised. Josh is an experienced racer and his / Mason's Instagram is all photos he's taken or reposts.

Read that radavist artice. Bloody 'ell. Opinions are like.. :) wonder if anyone will want to document the TD in future. Prob not. A shame in a way as Spencer Harding's photos are excellent.
I'd find it surprising too given his pedigree. Only mention it has have no idea regarding the extra crew, and the few photos I seem to cast my eye on are often mason/hunt tagged. Seem to be pushing out the content at least

Putting the somewhat philosophical debate to one side. Very much feel for lael, rue and spencer who seem to have undertaken this project with a lot of respect and jumped through multiple hoops to then be slammed by some folk who seem to be 'watcher not doer' trolls.
The comments/outcry/abuse aren't going to encourage many to undertake a documentation in the near future but surely it will. As such I think they would be hard pressed to find a crew showing the same level of respect, thoughtfulness and folk who had given such much back to the race.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just thought this should maybe live here... Sofianes Interview (1 of many I imagine as I think theres another one flying about by a canada radio station):

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0442992315 (if it doesnt work in google then Firefox browser is your freind (or friend or frend)
techno

Post by techno »

Sweary Dave's accommodation for the night looks interesting: https://www.divideridershostel.com/#
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dave on top of a rather large 'hill' a short while a go.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Apologies for the random thoughts below but maybe it'll spark something or at least kill 20 seconds ....

In my mind, the TD was the 'Holy Grail'. It was something you most probably worked towards for years, steadily gaining experience and losing weight until you not only felt that you were ready for it but also that you could do it the justice it deserved. Perhaps sadly, we now live in a bucket list society where those with the means will devour just about any experience that they're told is worthy of inclusion on their list.

If your goal is to simply collect experiences for no greater reason than vanity, then you really are unlikely to be too concerned about history, ethos or even rules - especially those that appear more akin to semi flexible guidelines. Quite obviously, the route is there all year round (conditions permitting) and it appears that some people would be better served riding the route away from the grand depart when their actions and choices wouldn't impact on the integrity of 'a race' but going back to my previous point - these people probably don't give a toss what impact they have and which sounds better, "I rode from Canada to Mexico" or "I raced the TD"?

I don't really see that there's anyway to put the cat back in the bag now. Sadly, I believe the TD is less a victim of its own success and more a casualty of media.

As a slight aside, someone many of you will know was asked by a high end clothing company if she'd give a series of talks about her time racing the SIlk Road. Her reply was something like, "why the f*ck would I do that, who the f*ck wants to hear me talk about my holiday - I'm just riding my f*cking bike". Maybe we actually need more of that? :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Observation:

The conflict here appears to be because the filmers are doing it for one rider. An independent film crew, not related to any rider, would not have had so many issues.

It seems inevitable that sponsorship, by any means, brings with it an expectation of increased publicity. As home-made vlogs get better (witness someone like Barry Godin) it's going to take a professional/dedicated film crew to create something so much better that it will guarantee increased product exposure.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very true Colin. I did think that a film showing a run along the TD by an individual outside of the 'race' could be a compromise, although it probably wouldn't have the same draw and therefor worth to any sponsors, etc.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

When Lee and Ricky did the TDR together and filmed it, didn't they basically take themselves out of the event? I thought they started after the GD for this reason.

And when Vedangi was doing her round-the-world pedal she slowly dropped the "self-supported" bit as she was regularly meeting up with a film crew.

It seems that both decisions were, in retrospect, better thought through.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:43 am
As a slight aside, someone many of you will know was asked by a high end clothing company if she'd give a series of talks about her time racing the SIlk Road. Her reply was something like, "why the f*ck would I do that, who the f*ck wants to hear me talk about my holiday - I'm just riding my f*cking bike". Maybe we actually need more of that? :wink:
Better tell Karl not to bother with his HT550 talk the night before the Jenn ride then :wink:
Karl

Post by Karl »

In Reverse wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:53 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:43 am
Better tell Karl not to bother with his HT550 talk the night before the Jenn ride then :wink:
I'm doing a health and safety talk about the dangers of walking in a puddle for 5 days. It's something I'm very passionate about and the risks are real! 😉
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Go Dave!!!! :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Just read that bit on the Radavist. Interesting, and if it is true, JP is emerging as the Lance Armstrong of bikepacking (it was never about the drugs). I hope his inappropriate and hypocritical comments are investigated by his sponsors, and, if validated, lead to a termination of their relationship. I for one won't touch another Salsa whilst he is one of their poster boys.

Edit: I have just emailed Salsa to express my disappointment.
Last edited by ZeroDarkBivi on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Back to the race, about 70 miles to go at the pointy end...
FLV

Post by FLV »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:06 pm Just read that bit on the Radavist. Interesting, and if it is true, JP is emerging as the Lance Armstrong of bikepacking (it was never about the drugs). I hope his inappropriate and hypocritical comments are investigated by his sponsors, and, if validated, lead to a termination of their relationship. I for one won't touch another Salsa whilst he is one of their poster boys.

Unfortunately enough people dont know of his history but will join the face book bandwagon. It will probably be good for sales.

I'm off salsa too (apart from the stuff I already own), but for other reasons documented on this forum.

Indeed though, back to the race.

Go Dave.

and, it look unlikely anyone will catch Chris though?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:06 pm Just read that bit on the Radavist. Interesting, and if it is true, JP is emerging as the Lance Armstrong of bikepacking (it was never about the drugs). I hope his inappropriate and hypocritical comments are investigated by his sponsors, and, if validated, lead to a termination of their relationship. I for one won't touch another Salsa whilst he is one of their poster boys.

I’ve not read the piece Craig but I’ve heard of JP?s other exploits which appear to push the boundaries of the ‘rules’ The ‘rules,? Well these events should be about personal challenges within a set of boundaries which should really be self imposed. Unfortunately money always corrupts, with bikepacking/gravel riding going mainstream, although possibly only as a marketing tool ( when was the last time you saw an obvious multi day bike apart from our little crowd?) then sponsors want a marketable result. If your lifestyle or income depends on keeping them happy the pressure to succeed is big.

The real TD is people like our Dave, going at it hard for nothing more than personal pride and perhaps a free pint in the star inn.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mart

Post by Mart »

I don’t believe he’s the saintly persona that he projects in the media.
Here is a point of view for those that have not seen
http://lacemine29.blogspot.com/2015/10/ ... y.html?m=1

Probably been mentioned before, draw your own conclusions
2924 miles per Gallon
FLV

Post by FLV »

We have a winner.

Chris S in 15 days 11 hours.

Strong ride !
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

And that’s a wrap for 2019...

Well, for Chris as least :-bd 15 days, 11 hours and 24 minutes. Impressive ride given the reported conditions this year, 25 minutes slower than Laels record that he had been (at least in the dot world) chasing

Back to the studio...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The second finisher, Nate Ginzton should be arriving at the border in the next forty minutes or so. Alexandera is about a day or day and a bit out of Pie Town.

Dave B and his cohort look like they are just on the Colorado-New Mexico border and have about 700 miles to go. TL gives a projected finish time of 21d2hrs. Currently the riders in that area have a slight tail wind at least as far as Pie Town.

Edit: Nate has now finished in a time of 15d11hr24mins :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Whilst having no desire to do the Tour Divide, dot watching especially when someone you know is involved, is fascinating. I was vaguely aware of JP's antics in other events but reading his jibes about the"purity" of the race this year strikes me that he's a serial breaker of Rule #1 "don't be a dick"
FLV

Post by FLV »

Jay P for me is the worst ambassador.. I genuinely dont understand why he's held in such high regard.
Mart

Post by Mart »

That’s Josh Ibbot finished now - good ride and well in the top 10 for him :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here's Dave stocking up on pork pie and Frijj milkshake

and here is is up on Indiana pass.

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

He's looking f@cking well there Stu :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Mart wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:58 am

I don’t believe he’s the saintly persona that he projects in the media.
Here is a point of view for those that have not seen
http://lacemine29.blogspot.com/2015/10/ ... y.html?m=1

Probably been mentioned before, draw your own conclusions
Got a nice email back from Lindsay Beltchenko, Salsa marketing manager. I think they are already aware of the waves JP has caused and the reputational damage to his sponsors, and are “working through this”.

So Bikepacking is now transitioning to a professional sport, and as such has evolved from ‘noble pursuit’ (at best), to entertainment, which is ultimately what all professional sport is. All the dot watching and associated commentary is further proof of that. Not saying that is so terrible, but we might as well acknowledge the truth.