Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

paramart

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by paramart »

going to bin the bivvy a month got to be realistic and listen to common sense for once, really bad chest infection.
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Reset ,next month mart and start afresh :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Get well soon!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Live BAM in progress!

June has been a bit of a wash out cycling wise, both literally due to the weather and Mrs D having a full social calendar. The prospect of attaining a full 3years baming was slipping away. As I posted in cheery Friday I’ve been working sarrrf of the river and realistically by the time I’d got through central London on a Friday I knew I’d not go out. The obvious solution was to shove the bike in the van and head south, the A2 out of London was emotional ~X( but finally we were free.
I grew up in a little fishing/mining town (before thatcher had her wicked way) on the Kent coast and hadn’t been back for about 12-13 years.
Simple plan, park the van, fish and chips on the beach followed by a few beers, what could go wrong?

Absolutely nothing :-bd it’s been so long I got a little emotional when I finally saw hop poles! Chucked a left when I got to the sea at Dover, ( when I first moved away from the coast I was very confused by the additional options) and parked up just a little out of town.
The two miles into Deal were bliss, the smell of boats and the sea a stark contrast to the crappy smog laden air of London, fish and chips were had :-bd

one of the few boats left....I used to work on DR135 the 'Dawn Diver' pottering about the English channel 8 miles out in a force 8 gale, never forget the boat number

chips!

Deal castle, I used to live just behind here

Spitfire Ale, brewed for the battle of Britain commemoration but so good its still going

I cycled past the house I was born in ( next door the the leather bottle pub) ,watched a great band in my old boozer while drinking a stunning IPA brewed in the town \:d/
Currently encamped just behind the posh golf course next to Mary bax’s grave, not many miles but a top class Bam so far.....

Last edited by BigdummySteve on Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm jealous. And desire fish n chips.
mountainposture

Post by mountainposture »

mmm, chips.

We're going out tonight come what may. At least the weather warning for lightning isn't where we're going... yet
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

After being accused of cheating (bivi'ing but without a bike)

6/6 June last night on a local solo, bike pack rafting trip out on the Merseyside coast.
My first ever bivi without a sleeping bag or quilt, just a down jacket, insulated montane trousers and montane booties (it's the future (for summer))

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I've had a busy few weeks and opportunities to fit in June's bivvy have been limited... or so I’d kept telling myself. Finally, with the end of the month rapidly looming, yesterday evening I loaded up and rode to the Pentland Hills, southwest of Edinburgh. I’d planned on spending the night in the woods near Harlaw Reservoir but midge antics (plus three separate groups of al fresco party animals whooping it up around their respective fires) had me heading for higher ground in search of a breeze and some peace and quiet.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah, the Pentlands. Takes me back...
paramart

Post by paramart »

well looking at the beret in the wardrobe it inspired me to bin common sense and go for it, so planned on a late ride up to the chase then if it was the wrong decision easy to get home, looked at my phone to find viv and burty were going to be at the barley mow pub and were bivvying on the chase, so had an 8 mile canal pootle met up with them, we looked at a potential group spot, which was good but chose to go to the outdoor school so popped down to the horns pub for a brew,
got up to the shelter at 11 ish set up and had a good warm night, woke up to find early dog walkers/ runner passing by just hope they didn't think all the rubbish was our's, thanks to viv and paul for a nice night 7/7 for me.
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Two nights out in the Dales for Cath and me, see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15038
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

paramart wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:09 am well looking at the beret in the wardrobe it inspired me to bin common sense and go for it, so planned on a late ride up to the chase then if it was the wrong decision easy to get home, looked at my phone to find viv and burty were going to be at the barley mow pub and were bivvying on the chase, so had an 8 mile canal pootle met up with them, we looked at a potential group spot, which was good but chose to go to the outdoor school so popped down to the horns pub for a brew,
got up to the shelter at 11 ish set up and had a good warm night, woke up to find early dog walkers/ runner passing by just hope they didn't think all the rubbish was our's, thanks to viv and paul for a nice night 7/7 for me.
Good man mart,don't know about showing them stokies our spot mind :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah it's turning into a right Bear Bones Hotel is that one :smile: . Must get back up there again soon but they've binned my direct train. Well it's still direct but direct half an hour longer via Brum and Cannock - scenic route ;).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

ScotRoutes: ' Ah, the Pentlands. Takes me back... '

I'm assuming you know the area well mate? It's certainly nice and convenient, especially when I don't have time to travel far from town. A pleasant spin up the Water of Leith trail to Balerno for me and reverse the route back to my home in Leith in the morning.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

June BAM done last night, so 6/6 for the year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzVQ6ZrgT8a ... us9l72vywm
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

JimmyG wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:21 pm ScotRoutes: ' Ah, the Pentlands. Takes me back... '

I'm assuming you know the area well mate? It's certainly nice and convenient, especially when I don't have time to travel far from town. A pleasant spin up the Water of Leith trail to Balerno for me and reverse the route back to my home in Leith in the morning.
I used to live in Balerno. Pentlands was basically my back garden :grin: I did once put together a trail map (before Strava) as I kept finding new stuff. Did a couple of bivvies up there, e.g.

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/08 ... wells.html

There's a nice spot at NT 143 614 too.
mountainposture

Post by mountainposture »

Out last night for me and Joolze up the back of Horton in Ribblesdale. Lots of poking around at interesting bits of scenery and limestone but not much mileage. 6/6 though.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:16 pm
JimmyG wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:21 pm ScotRoutes: ' Ah, the Pentlands. Takes me back... '

I used to live in Balerno. Pentlands was basically my back garden :grin: I did once put together a trail map (before Strava) as I kept finding new stuff. Did a couple of bivvies up there, e.g.

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/08 ... wells.html

There's a nice spot at NT 143 614 too.
Ah, the Pentlands would've been very handy for you then! I always enjoy reading your blog and thanks for posting the link to your Pentlands overnighter. Cheers!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Another Pentlands fan here - oh happy days dodging the rangers and smiling at the hill walkers frowning at you (pre land reform)

So 2 done in June on the same trip:

Summit of the Clach Na Frithhealaidh (Fisherfield) after a somewhat arduous day

Camban Bothy after a bit of a bivvy epic and another long day

:cool: More later
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

6/6 in 2019 for me and the boy.

Just a shortish jaunt to near Craik where we camped by the stream in an area that is used as an unofficial campsite by a lot of people. Our friends came to join us with their motorhome and we made a fire in the large scar that was there already. It was a nice weekend - we even had our first Scottish dip of the year in the stream, though it was very cold.

darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Last day of the month seems to have become a habit for my BAM. Another local ride in the bay. Took the Summer bag as the forecast reckoned 14c overnight. Felt too cold in shorts and tee-shirt so had to put my gilet on and use my down jacket upside down as a half sleeping bag on my legs. Nice an cosy then and slept through till 5am. Ride home, ovens on and get the Monday batch of loaves baked and delivered (by bike).

Nice start to the week!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzXJNbNnB44/

Si
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

5/5 May- WRT with Ben & Zip 😎

6/6 June- Last minute local one last night after being rewarded with dinner for helping a mate clean up after his builders.. Dusted down the hooped bivi, which actually turned out to be the right choice for this trip :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

6/6 June done with spur of the moment last day dash due to work and illness (thought I would not get it in ).
quick ride to my fave spot at Rivington Pike , loads of wildlife mooching around and squawking ,,,,had a lovely supper of instant noodles and hotdogs...mmmmmmm....
Image2019-06-30_05-49-38 by Gary Adamson, on Flickr
Image2019-06-30_05-49-27 by Gary Adamson, on Flickr
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Last minute June attempt on Friday night (28th June) after my first "planned" night was scuppered as feeling crap with lurgy.

Local 30 minute ride to a local SSSI / nature reserve. There was a bird hide that I thought I'd found on satellite imagery, turned out it was a machinery store and not a nice place to bivvy in nice weather, so ended up actually set up by bench on one of the paths. Lots of nice wildlife sounds (which I thought may keep me awake, but no bother, I'm getting used to them more and had no choice as I'd forgotten my ear plugs). I forgot my pillow inflator for my mat, and my pegs to stop the bivvy bag sliding - but it was a minimal kit thrown into a rucksack affair.

Next day was very hot, 15 degrees C before 0700, it's only a 30-45 min pootle back home and I stopped to take my base layer and knee warmers off within about 10 mins. Got back before the heat of the day kicked in,

June ticked off, and July looks a bit busy but have something planned round a friends farm 30 mins cycle ride away. :geek:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2497255319

Will update with photo when I get round to uploading.

Does that photo work...?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Gaz, that second photo looks like you're taking breakfast in hell - pennance for some sort of bivvy offence?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster