Tour Divide 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by jameso »

Interested to read that from Billy Rice. Dotwatcher.cc commentary said that a nobo tourer crossed the pass and arrived at the lodge which sparked some movement in the riders. That probably set off some questions about why riders didn't leave sooner, all just part of the punditry, ie if you're not there... tbh reading the TD FB group threads helps justify why I use that site so little :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jameso wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:46 pm reading the TD FB group threads helps justify why I use that site so little :grin:
It does seem like it's full of keyboard warriors this year, most of them probably don't ever ride bikes, so it's the FB equivalent of STW :lol:

Dave's on the go again :smile: he's chasing down Davey and Nick and closing the gap.

MHs flag is well in the lead again and only Chris S is ahead of Chris Plesko's SS record flag. His SS record is pretty quick at 15 days 8 hrs? That's faster than the winner in 6 of the 11 editions but obviously conditions/diversions play a part.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:58 pm
jameso wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:46 pm reading the TD FB group threads helps justify why I use that site so little :grin:
It does seem like it's full of keyboard warriors this year, most of them probably don't ever ride bikes, so it's the FB equivalent of STW :lol:

Dave's on the go again :smile: he's chasing down Davey and Nick and closing the gap.

MHs flag is well in the lead again and only Chris S is ahead of Chris Plesko's SS record flag. His SS record is pretty quick at 15 days 8 hrs? That's faster than the winner in 6 of the 11 editions but obviously conditions/diversions play a part.
That comment of STW... Sean, you beat me to it :lol: :lol: ... only reason why I'm always reserved on even mentioning STW a little is in case someone figures a way of punching me from out of the phone screen (next time I'm randomly visiting as a guest)...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I had a lie i they are time trialling to salida bike shop
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jameso

Post by jameso »

http://mtbcast.com/site2/2019/06/26/mtb ... t=1:24.578

1.24 onwards ... :lol: :-bd

(I predict a few non-UK listeners not getting the joke!)

Edit - timing! Waves to Spiffy Dave!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:33 pm I had a lie i they are time trialling to salida bike shop
You can get up at whatever time you want Dave, it was not intended as a criticism in any way. I'm in awe at the mileage you're 'smashing out' :smile:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

jameso wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:37 pm http://mtbcast.com/site2/2019/06/26/mtb ... t=1:24.578

=)) =)) =)) Absolutely brilliant
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Superb that was just well spiffing

I wonder how many more Americans think we are just eccentric beyond words.
redefined_cycles

:grin: thanks Dave :-bd
jameso wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:37 pm http://mtbcast.com/site2/2019/06/26/mtb ... t=1:24.578

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

middleagedmadness wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:06 pm

=)) =)) =)) Absolutely brilliant
=)) =)) =)) Fuc***g legend :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fantastic! I don't know Dave, you and your embarrassing swellings! I'll bet those plus-fours and tweed flat cap that you're wearing are baffling them all too....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Nice one Dave.

Just had a count and your in about 22md place.

Keep on trucking.

See you in September (after the watershed)
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :-bd :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Mike Hall has just finished :-bd

300miles to go for Chris (currently in P1)
redefined_cycles

Mike couldn't be with us for comment... But he did say this on a previous TD (freesource from the sample section of Cordillera Kindle edition, so ethically biased/found and shared*):

*Thanks to Stu for originally pointing out the journal/mag, Cordirella, for post ride reportage :-bd I'll be purchasing the latest ed hopefully when its off print
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

What Mike does not mention is that 6 weeks prior to his 2011 ride he also did the Derby Mercury Tuesday evening time trial to get in peak form. He finished 3rd behind a Raleigh Pro and a local 14/15 year old.

As mentioned earlier the mud out there is horrific. I was on the Bannock Road and could see the clouds gathering. It caught me near the summit and I walked up and a long way down the other side in the sage as the track was impossible. Instead of reaching Lima at 9ish it was 2am and I dozed sitting up in the toilet block for a few hours.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Interesting post on theradvist from Rue. About the why of Laels scratch.

FWIW, I'm impressed at her not mentioning the name of the young male rider who took kit from his film/support crew.

Sad to hear TBH.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Tea Boy has written about his experience, it's on his FB blog. This caught my eye

A circus of camera crews, weed and people phoning ahead to loved ones to book rooms and advise on weather on the trail, this has meant a really rather different experience to what I was expecting.

It's sad to hear, I guess that's what technology allows people to do these day's. I was chatting to Alan G about the first edition, they still had paper maps to navigate, pre-smart phone the world was a different place.

I think our Dave may well get past 2000 miles tomorrow :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

GregMay wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 pm
FWIW, I'm impressed at her not mentioning the name of the young male rider who took kit from his film/support crew.

Sad to hear TBH.
Just read the article, trial by the Internet, I read the posts on the FB group and I can see how the opinions of the armchair experts would affect anyone's mental approach to the race :sad:

Sad also about the young racer. She didn't need to mention the name, anyone who's following the race will know who it is, I didn't realise they also had a film crew.

The saddest thing is that all of this is eating away at my own ambitions to race the TD as it seems to be changing. Luckily Dave's great and pure run is an example that the core of the race is still what it set out to be.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:19 pm
Sad also about the young racer. She didn't need to mention the name, anyone who's following the race will know who it is, I didn't realise they also had a film crew.
Agreed.

As per TD - ITT it. It's the only way I intend to return to it.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:19 pm
GregMay wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Sad to hear TBH.
Just read the article, trial by the Internet, I read the posts on the FB group and I can see how the opinions of the armchair experts would affect anyone's mental approach to the race :sad:

The saddest thing is that all of this is eating away at my own ambitions to race the TD as it seems to be changing. Luckily Dave's great and pure run is an example that the core of the race is still what it set out to be.
Not to dwell or fuel further speculation, but was this rider/ van crew linked to mason cycles? Been following the race but not fervently on fb/instagram
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ Would be surprised. Josh is an experienced racer and his / Mason's Instagram is all photos he's taken or reposts.

Read that radavist artice. Bloody 'ell. Opinions are like.. :) wonder if anyone will want to document the TD in future. Prob not. A shame in a way as Spencer Harding's photos are excellent.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I was surprised to read the stuff from JayP . Hes had his fair share of controversy with the rules.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I’m in the distance and she doesn’t even know I’m there
i very much doubt she thinks you have scratched are no longer nearby

Its one of those I think even by trying your best, and they did, you end up interfering- she still knows they are there supporting her and documenting her.
That said it does not sound like there as been a level playing field of criticism and i think this digital approach is going to be the new way

Essentially there are racers with profiles who want to document their attempts and people who want to watch them there is going to have to be a new spirit for the digital and electronic world . It wont be as pure as the self supported trips of the past whatever we end up with
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

FLV wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:06 pm I was surprised to read the stuff from JayP . Hes had his fair share of controversy with the rules.
Yeah, I'd have thought he'd have kept his nose out considering his own TD record film, the snowmobile and the sail.

Hope she gives him hell on the Silk Road. :-bd