Tour Divide 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 pm ITU nurse as it happens Shaf, just like all the other hard as nails nurse men out there! :-bd
:lol: should have known... I never knew they were all mental. When I do my 90 mile commute, I nevwr tell em at Scarboro ITU that I'm actually one of the softer ones :o
redefined_cycles

From Josh Kato: This is me. I haven't been on FB since the beginning of this epic little tale I’m in right now. It is epic. My dot is paused at the moment. The past two days have taken a significant toll on my body. For the first several days of the race I pushed behind my competitor/friend Sofiane Sehili. He pushed ahead of the record flag of Mike Hall while I chased Mike’s flag itself and to push Sofiane as I had hoped to push Mike to the fastest time possible. I was red-lining but feeling fantastic. When I finally touched and rode with the record flag of Mike Hall near the Lima, Montana area the ride became extremely emotional for me beyond what I will say here. Such a crazy story is unfolding on this race. I’m loving it but my body is taking a beating. I wrecked rather hard last night on a muddy, dark downhill. Shoulder and knee took quite a beating. Shoulder is getting a look at now. Had initially thought I fractured my clavicle but looking more like a subluxation at this point. I’ve ruined this shoulder in the past. Getting off the mountains and all the rough descents have beaten me up. Not to mention my “little” walk over a mountain in blizzard conditions and one of my scariest nights bivied up in a blizzard in the hills ever. Only my fellow competitor Sofiane knows just how horrible that night was. Breaking trail all the way down that mountain has left me destroyed. Never show your cards to your competitors? Well, I’m not here to compete with anyone. I’m here to race myself. I was here to touch Mike Halls flag. I have found new channels of strength and speed I’ve not known before. I am having an amazing time. I also have saddle sores upon secondary saddle sores and my GI issues from 2017 are re-surfacing. After a few nights/days in freezing conditions I am drying out, getting checked out and eating a proper meal. I’ll get back out there but I just need a little pause. From what I understand there are only 4 of us who have made it away from Brush Mt. I’ll be back out there with them and fill a few more chapters of story by the end. Also, I am so saddened to hear that Sofiane is out of the race. He was flying! His night on the mountain is the stuff legends are made of. It really was quite a night up there.

-----------

Just found thw above quote from DotWatcher. Seems recent enough but not sure. Thought it should live here (albeit possibly a bit timelagged) :smile:

What a legend (normally I only ever use 'top banana'... but, this guys humbleness I guess deserves a bit more...

Sorry..
That was Day10...
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Josh Kato posted on bikepacking.net

"Hi bikepack family. Was just reading through this as it seems I have time sitting in a hospital room with a direct view of the Old Woman Trail that comes into Del Norte. Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately I will not be able to continue forward. My problem would likely not be survivable before the end. I will be seeking treatment and hopefully return to this race I love so much. I seriously thought about getting back on my bike after finding the source of my problem as dying on the Divide would be preferable to anywhere else at this moment. That would be unfair to the Divide. It would also be unfair to all of you and my family. So thank you all. Keep the TD the TD. The best race on earth and the most honorable of sporting pursuits. Love you all. "
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Sophiane to race Highland Trail next year after I told him it was easy 😀
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Great work on making it through to Steamboat Dave!
Looks like you might be staying in the same motel I stayed in which had a crazy old Swiss guy running it who wouldn't stop talking at me.
Would be great to see Sofiane on the Highland Trail!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:16 am Sophiane to race Highland Trail next year after I told him it was easy 😀
Did you promise you'd not be in Scotland at the time or does he think that this being the latest date in the year for snowfall past Brush since 1928 is coincidence :wink:

Great job Dave, chapeau :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

http://www.lostonabike.com/lost_divide/

This link just got posted on '.net'.... Current front runner is raising funds for a bleeding disorder charity and has a bleeding disorder himself...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here's Dave's new riding buddy Davy (I think) with a very happy looking harness, making his way over the big hill with snow on. It appears we now have two Sweary Daves.

May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am Here's Dave's new riding buddy Davy (I think) with a very happy looking harness, making his way over the big hill with snow on. It appears we now have two Sweary Daves.

Davy seems to have a scorpion on his chest... and he seems to have the 1 quart version of the PX hotpants... Maybe we should tell Dave to be careful :lol:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I rarely take any interest in the TD, but this year really is unfolding into the most dramatic of events!

So sad to hear about the unbelievable issues encountered by some incredible riders, forcing early retirement, but also great to see so many overcoming these ridiculous conditions.

Will be very interested to hear the full story about Lael; she is one of the few with genuine legendary status, so it must have been a tough decision. I can't help feeling she put a lot of extra pressure on herself with this filming stunt, trying to please sponsors and using some very unusual (unproven?) kit choices that don't reflect her normal conservative style. Not that I have any insight into the 'real Lael', but from everything I have read, watched or listened to, this leap into the corporate influencer world just doesn't seem to be that natural for her. Of course she needs to make a living, and no athlete deserves more reward for their sporting endeavours, but maybe it has back-fired a little this time.

Best of luck to all those gladiators still out there in the Arena - I salute you!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It boils down to whether you want amateurs who love the sport who will just ride to complete or whether you want "pro " riders who make films , advertise their sponsors and "sratch" when they cannot win a record and relaise the film/media stuff will be better by breaking the rules [ and most who watch the video wont care of the rules or know them anyway]
Its basically a changing of the fundamental ethos of the sport from slighty nutty amateur to pros with sponsorship, and support teams following them but not helping them or seeing them
personally I find it undesitrable but inevitable- the reality may well be its the only way she can afford to continue to do this so she may feel the same.
Dont know but it is a change
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

From dotwatcher.cc:
From Kim Raeymaekers post you can hear that they were relying on hearsay and someone doing a reconnaissance ride on Lael's film crew's electric bike
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzHZpX0FT4T/

That seems pretty cheaty, and would represent a clear instance of the crew affecting the race.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 pm It boils down to whether you want amateurs who love the sport who will just ride to complete or whether you want "pro " riders who make films , advertise their sponsors and "sratch" when they cannot win a record and relaise the film/media stuff will be better by breaking the rules [ and most who watch the video wont care of the rules or know them anyway]
Its basically a changing of the fundamental ethos of the sport from slighty nutty amateur to pros with sponsorship, and support teams following them but not helping them or seeing them
personally I find it undesitrable but inevitable- the reality may well be its the only way she can afford to continue to do this so she may feel the same.
Dont know but it is a change
It is a change, but one that I think is inevitable and not necessarily due to any loss of value or rider's devaluation of what self-supported racing is. ie, it is a race ('group ITT' semantics aside) with all the ego stuff that can go with it, and some sponsored (to some extent) riders with media profile have always been a driver of what has become the TDR and other events?
The ethos is still there, it's been laid down and can always be referred back to. Maybe we just need to accept 'ethics' as the grey area of racing style eg. what one person may call support is just a phone call home to another, and the actual rules are always there as the baseline.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it's the 'I' of ITT that will allow it to continue to function. However, as things change / alter / progress* record times and fastest this and that will likely become worth less (although not worthless) because the playing field will never be quite level, making it near impossible to make any comparisons.** The personal satisfaction involved, will I hope, continue to remain high and be the driving force for most.

*all depens on your point of view I suppose.

**but could we ever given things like weather?
Mart

Post by Mart »

Saw there was a pic of Dave at brush Mountain lodge - He's still got the orange Boners top :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
RIP

Post by RIP »

"still got Boners top"... must be getting a bit aromatic by now with all his amazing exploits... unless he's sporting a BBB bamboo T underneath as well :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Sorry if been posted before: list of rider call ins. Sound so humble, top lads/lasses...

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td19/
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

From josh Kato's FB feed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, sitting in the hospital after riding 200 miles a day is a bit of a shock to the system.
Thanks all for the outpouring of support and well-wishes. It does mean a lot to me. Just had a great visit from longtime Divide photographer Eddie Clark. Great to see a familiar face and chat with someone who knows the Divide better than most people ever will. Through his images he is the unofficial storyteller of our event. Have a look at them, great work there.

Here is what is going on. I will not be back on the bike to finish my race this year. That’s a pretty hard thing even to type. I can see the Divide route from my window and I can feel myself rolling down the course every time I look out there. To say I won’t saddle back up and ride on pulls at every fiber of my being.

I came into the hospital because I was having severe respiratory distress. I almost resorted to pushing my Spot SOS button the last night I was on the course. I had been having problems the previous couple days catching my breath at all. During the first week of the race I was or ahead if record pace and didn’t think I was even breathing deeply.

My oxygenation was quite low when they checked in the Emergency Department. Still in the process of CT scans and more lab testing. The big fly in the ointment are some EKG changes we have discovered. It would be foolish at this point to continue forward. The EKG changes can be indicative of a severe problem. It is really all a bit hard to say as we ultra-cyclists do not fit the standard mold of patients. Regardless, I need to be seen in a larger/better equipped facility. They are doing great work here but just don't have the resources to deal with all of this.
At this time I can breath a bit easier but have zero exercise tolerance. Again, going from 200 to zero is pretty distressing.

I love this race. This was to be my final spin down the Divide in race mode and it may very well be. I have given a lot to the Divide and have come close to losing my life out there more than once. It has all been worth it. The people I’ve met, the places I’ve seen and the adventures that unfold during this race all seem like some bizarre story that you happen to be living. It’s a special race that goes through some very special places with amazing individuals living along it. It is the most classic of the self-supported ultra-endurance races. I’m sure it will change but I wanted to do it one more time while the underlying spirit of this event is still palpable. It is not an event most people will ever do but it is the type if challenge we all need more of in our lives.

It is one of the ultimate challenges of human endurance. It is one of the last great honorable races. Self-supported, do it fast, follow the same route, anyone can challenge it. Pretty simple. I really miss being out there living that simple life with my fellow competitors.

The remaining 3 in the lead group, Christopher Seistrup, Steve Halligan and Nate Ginzton are all amazing gladiators. I miss racing with them. Go fast guys but remember to stop for pie! Everyone else in the race deserves our continued support as well. Everyone who toes the line for this race is amazing. The best people in the best race. Keep rolling my friends!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

RIP wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:27 pm "still got Boners top"... must be getting a bit aromatic by now with all his amazing exploits... unless he's sporting a BBB bamboo T underneath as well :smile:
One top, not baselayer, did me just fine for the trip. You get used to how you smell pretty quick.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I see Dave is in Silverthorne with a small group in around 25th position. Still doing really well. It is bike paths to Breck and then an old railway line over the Boreas pass before some lovely singletrack on the Gold Dust trail towards Como.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here's Dave's legs ... don't be deceived.

redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles

and Bill Brice take on things which he hopes will be part of his Cordirella account!
----------------
Billy Rice posted a commentary of the Brush Mtn Lodge racer stoppage situation of a few days ago: I'm writing a pretty detailed account of events, hopefully for the Cordillera. I never would have ended up at the lodge had it not been for a poorly timed broken ice machine and a friends call for help. The events over those days were pretty bizarre and I can totally understand the lack of understanding by those not there, and even some who were there who might not have seen the entire story unfold. I posted some videos and attempted to provide clarification. My take as a 6 time vet: I was so inspired by Lael Wilcox's decision to drop and why I believe she did so. Whether public or not (My belief), I have more respect for her than I ever have. I was also UNBELIEVABLY inspired by all of the racers who sat around like caged puppies waiting for a chance to leave. NONE OF THEM WANTED TO BE THERE. And when they could leave, they did leave. Massive respect for all of them, most notably Josh Ibbett, Evan Deutsch, and Kai Edel. I've been watching every single one of them since. Every one of those guys worked crazy hard to be where they are. Not a single one of them wanted to stop there. Quoting other racers talking about walking through snow or conditions on the pass has nothing to do with what the stuck riders were facing, as the pass was not the issue (its like 20 miles away...). The "E-bike recon" was a camera man trying to film (Their job). He literally got 200 feet up the driveway (Which i witnessed). It was not a route recon for anyone. No one needed to see mud on an E-bike to understand the conditions. Think what you will about the film crew (I'm aware of all the drama), but they were total professionals in every interaction that I had with them, and every interaction that I witnessed over several days. I understand the disappointment from dot watchers who wanted to see a race, but conditions were beyond comprehension (Coming from someone who actually walked across a lot of New Mexico with a tandem). To sit at home and simply think they could just "walk" would be a huge assumption. Everyone of those racers deserve more respect and I hope to provide that in a follow up account.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Blackhound wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:49 am I see Dave is in Silverthorne with a small group in around 25th position.
Either Dave's forgot to turn his SPOT on or he's having a lie in* as the other 2 are out and on their way and now 15 miles down the road.

* it is only 5am local time so hardy a lie in if he's not up. Trackleaders shows Dave's predicted finish at 20 1/2 days and his target is 23 so well up on that, an extra hour in bed won't hurt :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I think if someone has never had to deal with mud like that whilst on a ride, then it would be difficult to comprehend & inturn easy to criticise.
We had claggy mud on a section of the Spanish c2c, it was horrendous. Not only does it clog & lock-up both wheels & drive-train, it also increases the weight of the bike to the extent that, even if you could walk in those conditions, makes it almost impossible to carry for any distance..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!