Spokes and Nipples

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Spokes and Nipples

Post by dlovett »

Spoke and Nipples, what are your the recommendations for a light weight 29" XC wheel build using DT Swiss XR361 Rims ?

It is going on the Vir Fortis.

Cheers
FLV

Re: Spokes and Nipples

Post by FLV »

Usually Sapim Race (sensible butting) 2.0/1.8/2.0 and Brass Sapim Nipples for me.

I will happily use DT Comp 2.0/1.8/2.0 too.

I have also used Sapim D-Lights before too which push the weight down a little but they seem expensive at last check.

Always brass nips though from either of those two companies.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

DT Swiss Comps.
Brass nipples

Usually from Rose Bikes.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

DT comps or Sapim Race usually for a general wheel; no preference between the two. No need to go stronger for general MTB wheels. I've not found much difference in wheel strength between 2x and 3x either (but YMMV), in case you can't source quite the right spoke lengths for your preferred lacing and rim ERD.

I've also built road (and gravel :roll: ) wheels with D-Lights, which have been fine and I'm at best an average-skill wheelbuilder. :lol:

Cheapest UK Sapim spokes I've found at the moment are from this chap: https://www.spokesfromryan.com/ hence I've not used DTs for a year or two.

Your DT rims will have come with their proprietary washers and nipples, which I think are alloy, but I've not had trouble with them in two or three years building DT rims (which are nice and round to start with compared with crap like Mavic).
HUX

Post by HUX »

ACI Alpina F1 get my vote. Built a few wheels with these that have taken some abuse and they've been faultless. I'm also a very average wheel builder.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

HUX wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:54 pm ACI Alpina F1 get my vote. Built a few wheels with these that have taken some abuse and they've been faultless. I'm also a very average wheel builder.
Hmm forgot about Alpina. The current fat wheels (DT Swiss rims BR710) have Alpina's on them and have been flawless.
HUX

Post by HUX »

The F1 is 2mm-1.7-2mm. Nice and light and makes a nice wheel. Used them to replace the cheap and nasty spokes in an Alpkit wheelset and it transformed them.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

You say light weight so i’d Be looking at Sapim D-Light as a starter. CxRay if money is no object though they are very tricky to build with.
D-Light make good strong wheels for not a lot more money than Sapim Race. Either Ryanbuildswheels or JRA are my go to suppliers.
Unlike most folk in here I make most wheels with alloy nipples and have done for the last 20 years. I have never had trouble with them on a built wheel. I have broken a few building the wheels up but no trouble in use. The exception to this has been for a heavy duty tourer and a cargo bike which I built with DT pro lock brass nipples.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
slarge

Post by slarge »

Cx Rays on the wheels I get built, just because they're light and I haven't broken any. Alloy nipples for race wheels and brass nipples for wheels that see weather.

I never quite got my head around stainless spokes and alloy nipples - galvanic corrosion just eats the nipples, then any adjustment means they disintegrate....
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I have used Alpina from Cyclebasket for a while. Seem to work well and are the cheapest I have found. Cheaper than DT Swiss from Rose bikes, which was who I also used in the past

https://www.cyclebasket.com/m9b0s456p0/ ... _-_Nipples_
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Most of my wheels use straight pull sapim laser on DT Swiss 240s hubs
Had no issues with the spokes.
Damn light wheels.

SON dynamo hub uses sapim d-lite spokes (because laser weren’t available in j-bend and shop did me a deal)
Again, had no issues.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Well the DT Swiss rims have arrived complete with a washer kit and DT Swiss quorx Pro Head nipples. They are Alloy not brass and silver not black. Assuming I can like with them being silver, are they a bad idea to use on these rims with DT Swiss Revolution or Comp spokes?
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Can i ask where you got your XR361s from? Was Germany the cheapest?

Ian
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

No it was wiggle. I could’t find any in stock in the Uk and then suddenly wiggle did have them in stock and much cheaper, £53 each rather than the 75 odd they were the week before or the 65 odd plus postage from Germany.