Tour Divide 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by Mart »

Oh I need to learn to be more patient - So frustrating when some Spots don't update properly
Means I have to do more work instead of dot watching :lol:
2924 miles per Gallon
faustus

Post by faustus »

Really enjoying this TD so far, it's pretty gripping. I also looked at Alexandera Houchin's blog, and I like the cut of her jib. I do like seeing people doing things their own way, and she's clearly really capable and a strong rider.

There's a really interesting piece about her dirty kanza ride, and a different and illuminating perspective on the meaning of 'Dirty Kanza' and native american land rights. I appreciate that level of thoughtfulness and the way her drive is so strong despite her very honest self deprecation.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks like Dave's got lost and has found himself camping beside lake Bala.

May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Les Brown's having a very strong ride so far too. Les was 3rd or 4th (?) on last year's BB200 and put a rapid time in around the Dales Divide too. Not sure if he posts on here or not - Stu?
FLV

Post by FLV »

BobCatMax wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:13 pm Theres a few posts in her blog about her legs being her secret weapon and that climbing is her thing. read into that what you will, she's badass...

(yes I'm smitten)
I really enjoyed the dk xl post. just about gave in when someone finally had a spare pedal.
At that point after knowing its over, to get back on it in those circumstances... grrat mental fortitude there.
Impressed.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

It's going to be a sad day when the MH flag gets beaten and won't show up each year.
Amazing riding for the leaders but for some of us who met him (all be it briefly several times) it will be a another sad farewell to Mike.
#BeMoreMike
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 pm It's going to be a sad day when the MH flag gets beaten and won't show up each year.
Amazing riding for the leaders but for some of us who met him (all be it briefly several times) it will be a another sad farewell to Mike.
#BeMoreMike
Yes, was thinking exactly the same thing today.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

FLV wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:35 pm
BobCatMax wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:13 pm Theres a few posts in her blog about her legs being her secret weapon and that climbing is her thing. read into that what you will, she's badass...

(yes I'm smitten)
I really enjoyed the dk xl post. just about gave in when someone finally had a spare pedal.
At that point after knowing its over, to get back on it in those circumstances... grrat mental fortitude there.
Impressed.
The spare pedal was a clipless one, so rode another 60 miles on that whilst trying to bodge a flat platform. Nails! I see AH had to double back to Butte earlier, adding an extra 20 miles. Wonder what happened.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

wriggles wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:11 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 pm It's going to be a sad day when the MH flag gets beaten and won't show up each year.
#BeMoreMike
Yes, was thinking exactly the same thing today.
Me 3... Its rather amazing and surreal (and I didnt jnow such things happen on trackleaders) and feels like your watching MH racing once again. Well I suppise you are...
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Sorry just following on from AH having to loop back...

Its a shame that Laels press crew (special mention to Specialized, Wahoo and the Radavist :-bd ) arent covering the whole race, including details of the route and all the individual stories of each rider which is what makes it so great. Eg AH or Hal Russell riding at 70 years old. It took them until today to admit they "needed" to get some pics of Sofiane. Wouldnt take much more effort to do so. I wish they would focus more on the event overall rather than one superhero.

I think it also is a shame for Lael, as it detracts from her amazing cycling acheivements.
redefined_cycles

wriggles wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:28 pm Sorry just following on from AH having to loop back...

Its a shame that Laels press crew (special mention to Specialized, Wahoo and the Radavist :-bd ) arent covering the whole race, including details of the route and all the individual stories of each rider which is what makes it so great. Eg AH or Hal Russell riding at 70 years old. It took them until today to admit they "needed" to get some pics of Sofiane. Wouldnt take much more effort to do so. I wish they would focus more on the event overall rather than one superhero.

I think it also is a shame for Lael, as it detracts from her amazing cycling acheivements.
Yup... Now that you mention it like that, it seems like it probably wont be such an amazing vid/movie after all... Shame noones bothering to make a Leadville/Race in the Sky (the one with Armstrong) type documentary about the TD. That was a truly sensational and inspirational doc. I must admit that at that time I wasnt aware of all these other off road bikepacking races...
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Oh I think it will be a great film, because of the quality of the work of the people documenting it, but I wonder if it will be about Lael and the Tour Divide rather than about the Tour Divide and Laels place in it as the first woman to try and break the OA record. I think that would be a much stronger story. It would also be more pragmatic as the people who are critical would approve that as many as possible of the fantastic characters riding the event are celebrated. Its brilliant that anyone can turn up at Banff to ride, thats part of what makes it special. To my mind it should always be about the event and the people and their story as much as the people that take the podium.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Read on another forum AH broke another pedal and rolled back into Butte for replacement.
Clearly she is too badass for that make of pedal!

I hear what people are saying regarding the filming efforts focusing on Lael. It is the range of stories, ages and attitudes which provide most interest and inspiration for me. Added to that the off beat folk (such as the dude known as Lost on a Bike dancing on the webcam) and the funny call ins.

Still given the close access the film makers have (pre race,etc) no doubt I'm sure this focused intimate account will have a lot to offer
jameso

Post by jameso »

RE the film and content, other riders etc - how would you feel if a film crew turned up and filmed you in an attempt to 'document the race' while you were attempting to race solo and alone* along the GDMTBR? I'd tell them to do one and be mildly pissed off that they thought it was OK to intrude. I expect Hal Russel would be far more friendly though : )

So they'd need to ask riders in advance, and some would see a means of self-promotion .. and see where it's headed?

I don't think it's all that simple. Film one rider and you might tell the story of The Race through her race - a good film-maker will embrace that. But film the whole event and a number of riders? That's promoting the event more than just promoting LW, ie helping widen the appeal and do all the things that publicity and promotion is feared to do. (LW, who I think has more than proven herself already - for me this doesn't detract from her ride. I wish more would do it with less but hey, her call, Matt's race). I'm OK with the celebrity aspect of one rider with the event secondary to that.

All that aside, 8 years after Ride the Divide it's hardly mainstream. Wait til all the gravellers decide that it's the ultimate gravel race and Education First send a rider in full R6pha etc... I mean, Lael's on a 42mm back tyre this year so send in the gravel bikes, right?
redefined_cycles

Wise words James... Very fair point which I never thought about... I dont like cameras and intrusions either and if it was sudden before something like this, yes you're right, I would be cheesed off and it might play on my mind!...
jameso

Post by jameso »

On a lighter note, you could be on a remote track, just got out of your bivi, applying enough arse cream to cope with a possible 180 miles for day 11 ... and as you bend over and see an upside-down world there's a guy in the back of a flatbed truck with a camera, approaching from your rear :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

jameso wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:12 am On a lighter note, you could be on a remote track, just got out of your bivi, applying enough arse cream to cope with a possible 180 miles for day 11 ... and as you bend over and see an upside-down world there's a guy in the back of a flatbed truck with a camera, approaching from your rear :grin:
We'll someone's got to film my good side :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Notice from Lael’s video (that I found quite informative) she is carrying two spare eTap batteries, a charger, and shifter (coin cell) batteries.

Now, considering there is no front mech, that is three batteries for the rear mech.

Is the sram eTap system that power hungry?

eTap vs Di2, pros and cons to both approaches
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I think the batteries are smaller on the tap but will have to double check. Di2 battery can seat in the seat pin, whilst the tap mounts directly to the derailleur, so I think it's smaller.

Just clicked on the predicted finishing times, both SS and Kato are predicted sub 13 days.... :o
jameso wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:39 am All that aside, 8 years after Ride the Divide it's hardly mainstream. Wait til all the gravellers decide that it's the ultimate gravel race and Education First send a rider in full R6pha etc... I mean, Lael's on a 42mm back tyre this year so send in the gravel bikes, right?
I've been wondering how long it would take for the EF boys to be mentioned :lol: Still, they couldn't win the Dirty (although I have no idea of the background of the winner.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The AXS system is wireless so has to maintain a connection, thus using power, no point going to change gear and getting: "Please wait while we connect you"! In the bikepacking.com article https://bikepacking.com/plan/lael-wilco ... gear-list/ on Lael's setup she talks about running it for 400 miles without the battery going flat but a friend had got 500 miles from a single battery charge. Not sure how that compares to Di2. I think eTap is wired like Di2.

Filming. Well Race Across AMerica has had at least one film made about it, for the first few years it was featured on ABC and is much more "organised". Last year it had just 112 riders. The very first Iditarod race was filmed (The Thin White Line by RJ Sauer, well worth watching) and isn't exactly oversubscribed. I know the Iditarod is invitational, don't know about RAAM.

Closer to home. I started this thread. I'm dot watching. I'm part of the publicity problem.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

As I said a few pages back
sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:29 pm As much as I like to see records broken there's a part of me which would like Mike to keep the record indefinitely as watching his dot leave the field behind each year is a fitting tribute.
But... Sofiane is only just 30 miles ahead of Mike's ride. There have been lots of pictures of mud and snow on FB so that lead could easily slip away if the conditions haven't improved by the time the racers get there.

It's a good job the time difference means they are generally stopped when it's morning here so I do get some work done, once they get going each day my work output seems to drop dramatically :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
faustus

Post by faustus »

Agree about MH's flag, i'm kinda routing for him to stay ahead! Where on the route is the snow and mud, out of interest?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Based on current pics if NM Mike's record may not be beat easily. No idea how long it takes to clear and pics were only of Brazos ridge, also bear in mind I was re-routed around the Gila so not experienced that particular section, but Sean is right, a wet NM could add half or a day or more. Certainly could offset the seemingly great conditions they're having in the N. Long way to go yet..
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

There were also some pics of Togwotee but no idea where that is? The first of the NOBO riders should be at Brazos Ridge if it's where I think it is, just before the New Mexico/Colorado border for the NOBO riders?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I do find the talk and excitement of a film a little bit sad .... every year, the firsthand experiences of racers are published in The Cordillera. They're the actual stories from the people on the ground and have depth and insight. In instances like this, film is the lazy mans media. It's the difference between a lovingly prepared meal and some sh1te burger.

However, I suppose any film couldn't be as bad as Ride the Divide ... that was a truly awful depiction of self-pity / importance.*

*other views are available.
May the bridges you burn light your way