Best Saddle and Shorts for ITT’s and LD XC Racing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Re: Best Saddle and Shorts for ITT’s and LD XC Racing

Post by dlovett »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:19 pm Interesting topic. Think the replies just show how personal this is.
I go all out for old Brooks leather saddles - they don't wear out.
Fargo has a Swift titanium and Krampus a B17 narrow titanium.
Related to your other post I sometimes use a USE shock post for 24hr ITT’s when I don’t need a seat pack. Even considering a light rack ( :o ) to use a dry bag with instead of the seat pack and use the USE permanently.
I just dropped some big notes on Expensive hipster brand cargo bibs on Saturday so can update on how good they are soon. My best shorts to date were some moderately expensive Endurance ones with thick Lycra which were comfy and lasted a decade of regular use.
Yep there is no magic on size fits all answer, but lot of great little tips here that are very helpful.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Don’t forget a bike fit isn’t for life, it’s a dynamic setup. If you’ve had an injury, then it will change or if you’ve increased you’re cycling (or gym work etc), then the setup can change.

Might be time to revisit and see how you get on if you’re struggling with saddles
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Seat wise - WTB speeds have been my go to for the last 10 years - all ways super comfy even on the Jones which puts a lot of weight on my backside.

Shorts - my old DHB aeron pros are still good with a thin but well shaped pad. The new versions (just called aerons) aren't nearly as good as the pad is much thicker and softer. Assos good but the pad can get bunched up where its not stitched in place and cause chaffing....
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My rides are fairly short, 3 days max

I use either whatever saddle came with the bike or a charge spoon or equivalent (e.g madison flux). I did find the standard Brompton saddle uncomfortable after a good few hours on it

I also don't bother with padded shorts. I wear Under Armour Boxerjocks, they are my normal boxers I wear everyday but they work OK on the bike. They do bunch up which is a bit annoying but no so much I do anything about it. Wearing long tights over the top (in winter) stops the bunching, in other seasons I just get on with it. I found padded shorts get wet and clammy, and they don't make things any more comfortable for me

I often wear bib tights for commuting as it's faff free for a short trip and I need to wear something to get to work that isn't my work clothes. That being said, I've been wearing R@ph@ touring shorts and boxers for the last few weeks

I think I'm just not very sensitive to things like that, over the relatively short amount of time that I'm riding anyway. I probably have the same sensitivity level to bike set up!
yeha

Post by yeha »

I went to a talk by Mark Beaumont, current round the world record holder, a few weeks ago. The only question I could think of was what saddle did he use. The answer is the Selle SMP Pro.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S.Eliot.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've come to the conclusion that ultimately, the goal of all cycling of any kind is just part of a life-long quest to find a comfortable way to sit on a bike. You may think your cycling has a different purpose, but your're wrong :lol:

Bought some Decathlon 900 liner shorts recently after recommendations on here. Also bought some narrower saddles after measuring my arse - including a WTB Volt, which was one of the few cheaper end MTB saddles I could find that comes in 135mm flavour. Maybe a bit more comfortable than my previous shorts and variety of Charge Spoons, but not a revelation.

Tried just a pair of Decathlon seamless running boxers that I got at the same time as the shorts, on their own (well, with baggies, but no padded shorts) and they didn't fair too well, though not noticeably worse than padded shorts. Might give them another go with a slightly more padded saddle.

No-one's even brought up chamois cream yet...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:32 am No-one's even brought up chamois cream yet...

If I use lashings of the stuff and a couple of top ups of it, I seem get another 50 or so KM's extra before my backside protests.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:32 am No-one's even brought up chamois cream yet...
I rarely use it these days. Get a sweaty arse so slap something wet on there? Hmm. :???: Now tend to use nothing but will apply talc if I'm particularly hot and sweaty. Usually I'll leave things to the end of the day and dry myself off then.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

If I use lashings of the stuff and a couple of top ups of it, I seem get another 50 or so KM's extra before my backside protests.
I rarely use it these days. Get a sweaty arse so slap something wet on there? Hmm. :???: Now tend to use nothing but will apply talc if I'm particularly hot and sweaty. Usually I'll leave things to the end of the day and dry myself off then.
And that pretty much sums up the range of answers you get when you ask a bunch of cyclists about anal care! :grin:
slarge

Post by slarge »

I like the Selle Italia SLR type saddle - it has minimal padding and fits my bum perfectly. Plus it's light - (185g or 135g for the spendy one) and Endura shorts - they fit me well. But it's down to the size and shape of your bum!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Er, p1 :) but yeah, should be part of any system to avoid buttchafe.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

And that pretty much sums up the range of answers you get when you ask a bunch of cyclists about anal care!
Chuckles

Every cycling question has some answer boundaries and where you sit, between these two points, is entirely personal
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My Crikey, how much cargo bibs arrived today.
All looking pretty good, well made, comfy etc. However I have to admit to being pretty disappointed....
At £195 I was kind of hoping they would sing to me or arrive on the back of a golden condor or something. As it happens they just came wrapped in a plastic bag :wink:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:05 pm My Expensive hipster brand cargo bibs arrived today.
All looking pretty good, well made, comfy etc. However I have to admit to being pretty disappointed....
At £195 I was kind of hoping they would sing to me or arrive on the back of a golden condor or something. As it happens they just came wrapped in a plastic bag :wink:
But is it really plastic and not just clear gold leaf for that price?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

At £195
Really? For that kind of money I'd be wanting them to come fully fitted with a soft petite hand inside.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

At £195
I genuinely cannot believe people pay this
go down a market and you can get full Lycra leggings for 2 for £5 * so you paid about £193 for a foam pad with an expensive label on it

the mark up on cycling clothes has to be huge - the material costs are negligible
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 am
And that pretty much sums up the range of answers you get when you ask a bunch of cyclists about anal care! :grin:
Since Crikey, how much been mentioned, I remember that i forgot to add (another end of the scale) Lusso... I have all 3 grades from fat to thin. All very very nice. No bunching and the ones i likes best are the medium thickness one....

Hughly rated in all the reviews by owners (I certainly only buy Lusso and my Endura just sit neglectdd for the past 4 or 5 years... :-bd

Made in Manchester https://lusso.bike/product/aero-50-shorts/ and not rediculously priced
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

*Hughly = an amalgamation of highly and hugely. Yet to make it into the online dictionaries :grin:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Whilst chasing round Sussex checking out castles yesterday I had to wear a ready old pair of padded shorts and padded leggings. The padding was very thin and I had no issues, Perhaps I need so thinner padding on my other shorts. Either that or using the tribars has helped.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'd spent £150-200 on a good waterproof, don't see why shorts aren't any less valuable to comfort? Not to me, but to others, yes.
go down a market and you can get full Lycra leggings for 2 for £5 * so you paid about £193 for a foam pad with an expensive label on it

the mark up on cycling clothes has to be huge - the material costs are negligible
There's a massive difference in material and manufacture costs between market/ebay stuff and European made fabrics and pads etc. R6pha is priced up yes like most premium brands, but not as much as some like to suggest. % margin is probably similar to those market leggings.