Bike Trailer

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Bike Trailer

Post by Bearlegged »

I got very disapproving looks from my wife when I told her we'd hit 25mph downhill. We didn't mention top speeds again after that...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I took the plunge and got a 2nd hand chariot one. Not sure on the weight limit but it’s much bigger than all the other ones I have seen. It has a max speed of 25km/h and the dog fits. Just got to get a piece of wood to make a rigid floor and then we will see what he thinks of it. Wheels off on the grass he was happy to run through it as if he was at agility classes and sat in it watch the world go by for half an hour quite happily.

Cheers for all the input.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

IMG_1106.JPG
(293.99 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

dlovett wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:02 pm
Alpinum wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:34 pm
dlovett wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:36 am If I overloaded another brand and it can take it ok, is 80kg a standard limit with a QR?
Good question... I can ask the maker of Hinterher, he's very helpful and will likely have a good answer.
If you could, that would be ace.
Sorry, was off the grid lately.

His (head of Hinterher) answer (translated):

Hi [blahblahblah]

In Switzerland [that's where I live, he guessed I was asking for myself] there are laws for bike trailers, I don't know them exactly. I think above 80 kg you'd need an overrun brake.

The standard coupler from Weber are approved for max 80 kg trailer weight. The ES coupler (Weber) is approved to 100 kg [standard trailer] or 150 kg for the double axle trailers.

[blahblahblah]

So, it seems that 80 kg isn't the limit of the QR...
Still, I'd be very cautious riding with such a load.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

If the chariot does not work out. I recommend the large carry freedom y trailer. 90Kg.
Detachable wheels. Just have to use / make a suitable box/canopy /cover to suit. I have used mine to carry car engine gearbox assembly, several bags of compost, sand,cement, concrete fence posts...you get the idea. A very reliable work horse. Enjoy your bike and dog travels!
Insanity over vanity
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:00 am If the chariot does not work out. I recommend the large carry freedom y trailer. 90Kg.
Detachable wheels. Just have to use / make a suitable box/canopy /cover to suit. I have used mine to carry car engine gearbox assembly, several bags of compost, sand,cement, concrete fence posts...you get the idea. A very reliable work horse. Enjoy your bike and dog travels!
Cheers, hopefully it will be ok. Just got to sew some webbing onto the naked frame now. Once I have don't that I'll take it for a spin with some bags of sand to see how well it hold the weight.