Tour Divide 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Tour Divide 2019

Post by fatbikephil »

Josh Ibbets cranking on as well, go brits!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Sent that man a few quid, what a nightmare start to his ride.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Richpips wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:34 pm Sent that man a few quid, what a nightmare start to his ride.
Well done everyone thats sending a few quid down his way. It was after reading that article tgat basically explains that he's trying to raise £15 k(or is it 30) for the madagascan infrastructure/needs etc etc. He runs a business and when its jsut small contracts that come through the money is donated to his chosen Madagascan charity cause.

Some people are just amazing and it was Sven Cycles that also contributed a bike for him to ride the Divide (extra rational that he's obviously a likeable guy... in case we weren't already convinced :grin: ).

Anyway, well done anyone thats contributed (I'm still to do so :o but will do shortly)...
FLV

Post by FLV »

wonder whats going on with Josh Kato.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I noticed his tracker was slow to update earlier today. When it did update he was right up with Josh Ibbett. It's not updated for a few hours now. My SPOT does the same sometimes, it could be that they are in woodland which is affecting it?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
FLV

Post by FLV »

That makes sense Sean, ta
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Richpips wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:34 pm Sent that man a few quid, what a nightmare start to his ride.
Yeah, think will get a pleasant surprise when next reconnects, judging by facebook posts on the main page and his local gravel page. Thats great, and to me is the ethos what the Divide is all about, people helping others.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some pictures from the first section - http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... ussion/20/

Oh, and contribution made :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:58 am Some pictures from the first section - http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... ussion/20/
"Blackshale suspension bridge" - wow - that looks fun, Nepal-style. Replaces the bridges washed out a couple of years ago I guess.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like there are six, probably seven given Josh Kato's SPOT problems, riders all very close at the head of the field.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Always interesting to see the first night tactics. Butts Cabin seems the traditional marker/stopping point for the leaders, rarely more than 3 or 4 riders there. Gone 4am and Sophiane Sehili is 12 miles past the cabin :shock:
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:27 am
whitestone wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:58 am Some pictures from the first section - http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... ussion/20/
"Blackshale suspension bridge" - wow - that looks fun, Nepal-style. Replaces the bridges washed out a couple of years ago I guess.
Twas looking at that this morning when Bob posted the thread... Looks scary to me :wink: :shock:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Lael and Josh stopped at Butts.

Interesting to see that the Surly 18t SS cog I nailed to the beam over the porch in 2016, next to the saw with the cabin name painted on it, is still there! :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

wriggles wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:30 pm Interesting to see that the Surly 18t SS cog I nailed to the beam over the porch in 2016, next to the saw with the cabin name painted on it, is still there! :-bd
Class :-bd how/why?
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Found it in the grass outside the cabin. Not mine to take so put it there for someone else to use.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/s ... &type=Site Zoom in on second picture.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ Probably a singlespeeder who took a gear option, got that far and thought 'Sod that dead weight, staying on the 20T... '
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

We met a NoBo guy in who was planning to jump up to an 18... we advised him not to... he gave a loud ranting answer to why it was perfect (having not ridden the section we'd just ridden) he didn't finish :/

20 or 21 for me. But my legs are weak.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

You're not a singlespeeder if you change ratios on the way, although trackleaders only says you must start and finish on the same ratio and doesn't mention what you do in-between but I assume that's just a poorly written rule :roll:

The Australian singlespeeder Nick Skarajew is running 32/18 I believe. Trackleaders doesn't have a filter for singlespeed? I thought it did even if there's not a separate category. When I sign up for the events I've done it was on the questions.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

One of the latest posts on the bikepacking.net thread I linked to earlier is reporting that a NoBo rider is saying that there's a lot of snow in New Mexico - quote lifted from there:
what those guys said about Brazo Ridge was right. Terrible conditions of thick mud and lots of snow from NM border to lagunitas. A very hard hard day. I am completely wrecked. Maybe it will be better for SoBo riders but the NoBo should prepare for some serious sub standard. It’s awful and unrelenting. We are all used to tough trails but this is next level. Nothing is rideable and you will get covered in mud. Very slow going.
redefined_cycles

NoBo and SoBo=?

I thought Jameso was just using a substandard temr before but just now realised its a proper term/acronym
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

NoBo = NorthBound
SoBo = SouthBound
YoYo = there and back again :shock:
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 pm NoBo = NorthBound
SoBo = SouthBound
YoYo = there and back again :shock:
Thanks again Bob... :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

GregMay wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:37 pm We met a NoBo guy in who was planning to jump up to an 18... we advised him not to... he gave a loud ranting answer to why it was perfect (having not ridden the section we'd just ridden) he didn't finish :/

20 or 21 for me. But my legs are weak.
Where was that? There's a big downhill before the Can/US border going south that would be a killer on a SS going north, probably the last major climb nobo?

The one ratio rule's fair enough for racing. Not sure I'd want to, and I love my SS. Touring the GDMTBR on a dinglespeed set up has some appeal though.
jameso

Post by jameso »

redefined_cycles

Lael appears to be giving the boys a good run for their money (filming crew notwithstanding)... screen shots taken about 3 hours apart....